HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   News Article: Niemi + ??? for Nash? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1182145)

Squeeven 05-02-2012 03:59 AM

Niemi + ??? for Nash?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-a-nash-trade/

I read this article and to be honest its true. Both teams would be getting what they need. Blue Jackets need a goalie and we need a top 6 forward. I know they probably would want more but what about:

To Blue Jackets:
Niemi
1st round pick
Freddie Hamilton

To Sharks:
Nash

Or maybe take out the 1st round pick and Hamilton and throw Clowe in there? I don't know about you guys but this article doesn't seem to far fetched. I wonder if some sort of deal involving Niemi and Nash could work. Only thing though is that would everyone feel safe with a Greiss and Stalock tandem. I mean sure after this season I love Greiss but what about Stalock? Is he NHL ready yet? I dunno about that but if this happens lets hope so. Thoughts?

Lee Van Cleef* 05-02-2012 05:23 AM

No thanks. Nash is massively overrated. He's a 60 point player getting paid nearly 9 million.

Bgav 05-02-2012 05:25 AM

That's not enough for nash

Sharksfan83 05-02-2012 06:05 AM

I really hope we don't push for Nash, we would be much better off with 2 x $4 mil scoring forwards, then one "Superstar".

OnTheFence 05-02-2012 06:08 AM

Other teams would offer much, much more than this.

Negatively Positive 05-02-2012 06:23 AM

Stop it. I want nothing to do with Nash. He's overpaid and overrated. I seriously doubt he'd put up any more than 70-75 points in SJ. He might not have great linemates in Columbus but he's not going to be the center of offense in SJ so there's less opportunities for him. I'd rather have Pavelski and his 60-65 points at 4 mill or Couture and his 60-65 points at 2.8 mill than Nash's 70-75 points at 7.8 mill. We don't need any more top heavy players. We need more depth scoring on the third line. Unless Marleau is going the other way(he won't waive for Columbus), then the Sharks would have 4 players making 6.6 mill or more. That's stupid. I was crying with happiness when we got rid of Heatley's 7.5 mill. There would be no money to get good depth players. When the top heavy top six gets shut down like they always do, the third line is gonna do jack**** again and the Sharks get bounced again.

Say no to drugs. Say no to Rick Nash.

OnTheFence 05-02-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup (Post 49146869)
Stop it. I want nothing to do with Nash. He's overpaid and overrated. I seriously doubt he'd put up any more than 70-75 points in SJ. He might not have great linemates in Columbus but he's not going to be the center of offense in SJ so there's less opportunities for him. I'd rather have Pavelski and his 60-65 points at 4 mill or Couture and his 60-65 points at 2.8 mill than Nash's 70-75 points at 7.8 mill. We don't need any more top heavy players. We need more depth scoring on the third line. Unless Marleau is going the other way(he won't waive for Columbus), then the Sharks would have 4 players making 6.6 mill or more. That's stupid. I was crying with happiness when we got rid of Heatley's 7.5 mill. There would be no money to get good depth players. When the top heavy top six gets shut down like they always do, the third line is gonna do jack**** again and the Sharks get bounced again.

When was the last time DW didn't make a big trade following a playoff exit? Brace yourself, Rick Nash is coming. (winteriscoming.jpg)

LeeIFBB 05-02-2012 07:19 AM

Damn the prospect pool, full speed ahead!

Pinkfloyd 05-02-2012 08:25 AM

Everyone here probably realizes that Nash is likely on DW's radar whether we agree with adding him or not. I'd be okay with us trading for Nash if it was ideal for us. Maybe Clowe, Handzus, Niemi, and our 1st for Nash, Mason, and their 2nd.

deekortiz3 05-02-2012 08:45 AM

I would love to have Nash but for the cap space to work another player besides Niemi would have to go somehow. That other player would determine if I like the trade or not.

Regardless, that is a tough contract for any team to take on.

Arrch 05-02-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bgav (Post 49146457)
That's not enough for nash

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheFence (Post 49146743)
Other teams would offer much, much more than this.

You guys are terribly underrating ???. He's been tearing it up in Juniors and will clearly be a superstar.

(P.S. read the article, it's not suggesting a straight swap)

Inub0i 05-02-2012 09:50 AM

Prospect pool be damned it seems.

KpopandHockey 05-02-2012 10:36 AM

Good, I didn't want that first rounder anyway. :sarcasm:

ChompChomp 05-02-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inub0i (Post 49151335)
Prospect pool be damned it seems.

Supports my theory that DW is going all out for win now until 13-14 (when most of the big contracts come off the books), and then, if no Cup has been won by then, DW will bolt to avoid the fallout, which includes a rebuild in the mid to latter part of this decade.

magic school bus 05-02-2012 10:43 AM

Great strategy, DW.

do0glas 05-02-2012 10:47 AM

if the status quo remains and nash has to become a two way player here, do we really see his point totals increasing?

just look at the shot totals on the blue jackets, hes at least 200 above all his teammates. so they are giving him the puck at every opp. thats not going to happen here imo. hes worth about 5-6 mill in my eyes and hes getting paid way over that, and it only goes up as he stays here further pinching our cap flexibility every year.

if any of our top 6 go the other way for nash, we are in the same position we are in now. so unless we get nash and make another big splash somewhere with boyle for a tweener+ then i only see this team getting worse.

murdock1116 05-02-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup (Post 49146869)

Not that I'm all for Nash to the Sharks, but everyone keeps bashing his point totals and that he would only score 70 points with the sharks etc etc.

You guys do realize that only 20 players this year in the NHL got 70 or more points. 60 points in a season is REALLY GOOD! Not that many players can even get that. (granted 7.8 million for 60 points is a lot) I'm just saying, people seem to be thinking 100 point seasons are all that matter

Can HaZ Trainz 05-02-2012 11:58 AM

Sick of loosing out on prospects! Is San Jose trying to be the NY yanks of hockey?! :rant: Sure Nash gets a lot of points every season but thats because hes the one holding the team afloat, sort of. :dunno:

No more giving away prospects!!

Franchise13 05-02-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShutterPro 21 (Post 49155879)
Sick of loosing out on prospects! San Jose trying to be the NY yanks of hockey?! :rant:

Yankees have one of the best farm systems in baseball. Well, Top 10 anyway... even after trading Montero for Pineda. Analogy is invalid ;)

VP and GM 05-02-2012 12:08 PM

Well not sure this helps us;

- for the same cap. price for Nash we can get 2 players via UFA that can play
- we really need to keep the pick and prospects as the remodeling process starts in the next 2 years.
- adding another top player makes us even more top heavy
- I'd be up for dealing Nemo for a really good young player or decent pick, im not convinced that he's the problem on the team.

Id say no to this deal.

Can HaZ Trainz 05-02-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Franchise13 (Post 49156003)
Yankees have one of the best farm systems in baseball. Well, Top 10 anyway... even after trading Montero for Pineda. Analogy is invalid ;)

Point taken, I meant the whole buying/trading for other teams stars and getting lackluster results. :shakehead

KzooShark 05-02-2012 12:24 PM

Speaking as a Detroit Tigers' fan, the Sharks prospect pool looks familiar in that sense.

The Nemesis 05-02-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd (Post 49148957)
Everyone here probably realizes that Nash is likely on DW's radar whether we agree with adding him or not. I'd be okay with us trading for Nash if it was ideal for us. Maybe Clowe, Handzus, Niemi, and our 1st for Nash, Mason, and their 2nd.

I don't want any part of Mason. He's terrible. Beyond terrible. He makes Dmitri Patzold look like Nabby.

and I agree that I can see DW buring the prospect pool again for a big trade. Because if he doesn't get results again, chances are he's done with the Sharks. And at that point it's on longer his concern how barren the system is, because he's out of the job.

LadyStanley 05-02-2012 12:34 PM

As I see it, that article is based on the Kurz one I posted to the GM thread Monday. (PHT and others often "recycle" ideas from other sources)

Possible? Yes. But it's pure speculation, not even a rumor.

Kitten Mittons 05-02-2012 12:53 PM

Trade for Nash. Put him on the third line with Pavelski. Dominate the opposition with the slowest third line in the NHL.