HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   5/2: Ownership gives DW vote of confidence (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1182313)

LadyStanley 05-02-2012 12:17 PM

5/2: Ownership gives DW vote of confidence

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=630413

Quote:

STATEMENT FROM THE OWNERSHIP GROUP OF SHARKS SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT:
"The on-ice results of our team this season are not acceptable to our fans, our organization or our ownership group. We will not lower our expectation that every San Jose Sharks team we put on the ice is capable of winning the Stanley Cup. Despite the fact that our team has experienced a tremendous amount of success over the past eight seasons, we are not satisfied with those results and neither is Doug. The ownership group has confidence that Doug will make the necessary changes to ensure our club remains among the NHL’s elite franchises.”

Further tweets from Pollak, Kurz, Brazil indicate that player meetings are going on a lot longer than anticipated, and that a few more days are needed to evaluate work of coaches before a decision is made.

Mafoofoo 05-02-2012 12:31 PM

Why wouldn't they? He 's bringing them that tidal wave of money.

LadyStanley 05-02-2012 12:31 PM

KKurzCSN 10:25am via Twitter for Mac More quotes from #SJSharks Wilson here: csnbayarea.com/hockey-san-jos…

210 05-02-2012 12:32 PM

Good thing they made that statement, otherwise would have all thought they were satisfied with the outcome... :sarcasm:

magic school bus 05-02-2012 12:50 PM

I'm sure Doug will make changes to make sure we "remain among the elite," but for how long. It doesn't look like he has a long term plan for success, and that 's not good business.

Miku 05-02-2012 12:50 PM

Doug Wilson says he hasn't gone through the full review process and cannot yet commit to the coaching staff for next season. Expect a decision "in the next few weeks"

That's all that matters to me

Kitten Mittons 05-02-2012 12:52 PM

Have there been cases in the past where assistant coaches are fired but not the head coach? Or will Shaw/Woodcroft find new "opportunities" somewhere else?

Linkster 05-02-2012 12:56 PM

The 2 DW quotes I enjoyed most:

"Our owners spend more money than our revenues truly warrant," and "Many of the meetings have been very emotional - which to me is a good thing."

The writing is on the wall, folks: Drew Remenda has called his last game with the Sharks.

:sarcasm:

LadyStanley 05-02-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magic school bus (Post 49157891)
I'm sure Doug will make changes to make sure we "remain among the elite," but for how long. It doesn't look like he has a long term plan for success, and that 's not good business.

I'm pretty sure there is a long term plan. (IOW, that's my gut. I have no direct knowledge that one exists, but based on the little tidbits that have leaked about some of the management books they pass out to players, I'm pretty sure there is.)

TheJuxtaposer 05-02-2012 01:38 PM

Translation: "DW has given DW a vote of confidence."

Mafoofoo 05-02-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 49160041)
Translation: "DW has given DW a vote of confidence."

That'd make for a pretty awesome title for an article on sjsharks.com.

OffsideNils 05-02-2012 02:17 PM

Did anyone else notice the URL of the ESPN article?

"san-jose-sharks-owners-disappointed-ron-wilson-remains-gm"

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/78...son-remains-gm

Ron Wilson remains GM?

Le Rosbeef 05-02-2012 02:21 PM

I may be in the majority but I still believe Wilson is not the problem and that we'd have a hard time finding anyone better to do his job.

Yeah, it didn't work out this year. Heck, that's sports.

LeeIFBB 05-02-2012 02:22 PM

Owners fiddle while org burns.

Linkster 05-02-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffsideNils (Post 49162013)
Did anyone else notice the URL of the ESPN article?

"san-jose-sharks-owners-disappointed-ron-wilson-remains-gm"

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/78...son-remains-gm

Ron Wilson remains GM?

:laugh: Nice catch!

Probably Kawakami behind that one.

SJeasy 05-02-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons (Post 49158011)
Have there been cases in the past where assistant coaches are fired but not the head coach? Or will Shaw/Woodcroft find new "opportunities" somewhere else?

Yawney. Happens all the time. Assistants are far more mobile than HCs. Look at Ramsay's history of moving along. And yes, orgs are generally tactful about the process as was the case with Yawney. You never know what will happen in terms of ill will coming back to bite you. The trio of RW/Hunter/Zettler was very exceptional for their longevity of remaining together.

5H4RK5 05-02-2012 02:35 PM

We can talk all we want but we have to make a list of things to do. If Tmac is the man for the job we have to load our roster with the exact type of players that fit the system, even if we have to move some beloved players. If we go another direction we must build a team that fit's our gameplan on the ice.

Iron Chef 05-02-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linkster (Post 49158157)
The 2 DW quotes I enjoyed most:

"Our owners spend more money than our revenues truly warrant," and "Many of the meetings have been very emotional - which to me is a good thing."

The writing is on the wall, folks: Drew Remenda has called his last game with the Sharks.

:sarcasm:

I think its more of a hint that we should expect another increase in ticket prices next season, despite the fact that they introduced dynamic pricing last season and regressed in playoff performance

Nighthock 05-02-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Will McLellan or assistant coaches Jay Woodcroft and Matt Shaw be among those changes? Wilson has not yet decided.
That's about as easy of a decision you're ever going to get. I'm hoping the review is just a nicer way of saying "get lost."

I do, however, have faith in DW to do what is best. Like it says in the article, he's never afraid to pull the trigger on a deal that he feels vastly improves the team - he also never gives out 13-effin'-year contracts which I respect the hell out of him for. Good luck, Doug.

Gilligans Island 05-02-2012 03:11 PM

DW is sure a charmer.

Wonder whose talk took 5x longer. Probably not Desjardins... And whose was really emotional.

This feels like (at the least) the ACs are gone, if not TMac altogether. Leaving him hanging like that isn't a great way to show confidence.

LadyStanley 05-02-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilligans Island (Post 49164489)
This feels like (at the least) the ACs are gone, if not TMac altogether. Leaving him hanging like that isn't a great way to show confidence.

I actually think that Woodcroft may be on the hotest seat. Moreso than Shaw.

Yawney may have decided to leave on his own to pursue "head" job elsewhere. (That's kinda the impression I got when I exchanged a couple of sentences with him on locker clean out day when asking about his plans for the future.)

Paka Ono 05-02-2012 03:25 PM

Well when revenue is down next season, hopefully DW will be shown the door.

do0glas 05-02-2012 03:29 PM

im moving to the sacramento area before next season starts and i will definitely be looking into 10 game packs or the like. so they will get some of my money :). love the sharks.

LadyStanley 05-02-2012 03:40 PM

http://www.csnbayarea.com/hockey-san...28&feedID=2798

Ratto analyzes Sharks statement (and conference call)

TheJuxtaposer 05-02-2012 03:40 PM

When I'm imagining these "emotional" interviews, I'm picturing Boyle throwing chairs around and Vlasic sobbing into a hankerchief.