HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Habs sign André Bouvet-Morrissette to try-out (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1183559)

dcal64 05-04-2012 07:52 AM

Habs sign André Bouvet-Morrissette to try-out

Has anyone seen him play?

http://www.journalexpress.ca/Sports/...ers,-a-Emond/1

BLONG7 05-04-2012 07:54 AM

Bergevin getting busy already?? Must have been something he saw in this kid when he was with the Hawks...

Mats NAslund 05-04-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcal64 (Post 49251127)

Read the article....He was not signed he was invited to the Combine.
HE has no contract in hand.

«Ce que j’en comprends, c’est qu’ils veulent profiter de l’occasion pour m’évaluer. C’est un premier pas. J’espère les impressionner suffisamment pour recevoir une invitation au camp de perfectionnement, et ultimement, une offre de contrat», a fait savoir Bouvet-Morrissette, qui en a profité pour remercier l’organisation des Voltigeurs pour le rôle qu’elle a joué dans son développement.

Monctonscout 05-04-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7 (Post 49251167)
Bergevin getting busy already?? Must have been something he saw in this kid when he was with the Hawks...

He brings some intriguing elements, has pretty good size(though he still needs to fill out), hands and he skates pretty well, aloso not afraid to get his nose dirty or defend temmates.

Halifaxhab* 05-04-2012 08:33 AM

this is a perfect example of what the team should be doing. Finding Quebec based players who may not have had a chance or been drafted to try out, prove something. At the very least if he does wll, he can sign an AHL contract and be used in Wheeling or Hamilton until he steps up to earn a 2-way deal. If not, no harm in trying

WeThreeKings 05-04-2012 08:34 AM

Is he related to Nugent-Hopkins or Svensson-Paajarvi?

Halifaxhab* 05-04-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 49252067)

8th cousin, twice removed

Ohashi_Jouzu 05-04-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halifaxhab (Post 49252065)
this is a perfect example of what the team should be doing. Finding Quebec based players who may not have had a chance or been drafted to try out, prove something.

Not that they haven't been doing that all these years, but I agree that they could try harder.

BLONG7 05-04-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

this is a perfect example of what the team should be doing. Finding Quebec based players who may not have had a chance or been drafted to try out, prove something. At the very least if he does wll, he can sign an AHL contract and be used in Wheeling or Hamilton until he steps up to earn a 2-way deal. If not, no harm in trying

I like the fact that Bergevin brings some outside the box thinking to the Habs organization...as time goes by, I think the legend of the Ghost is going to get magnified, and not in a good way...

EveryDay 05-04-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeThreeKings (Post 49252067)

lol what?

WestIslander 05-04-2012 08:40 AM

Right wing, 6'3" and 192 pounds

He had 39 goals, 33 assists and 72 points with Drummondville this season in 63 games, if you compare him to others, it seems like he is a pretty decent player/prospect and apparently he can hit/fight too.

Maybe a 3rd line player one day!

montreal 05-04-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7 (Post 49251167)

Or Timmins might have suggested it since he likely saw Morrissette when watching Archambault with the Volts this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 49251437)
He brings some intriguing elements, has pretty good size(though he still needs to fill out), hands and he skates pretty well, aloso not afraid to get his nose dirty or defend temmates.

Do you know if he got much playing time with Archambault?

Halifaxhab* 05-04-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu (Post 49252109)
Not that they haven't been doing that all these years, but I agree that they could try harder.

I know. They did this with Desharnais. But they could try to invite at least one every year.

MathMan 05-04-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halifaxhab (Post 49252405)
I know. They did this with Desharnais. But they could try to invite at least one every year.

They pretty much do. The problem with undrafted players is that the vast majority went undrafted for a reason.

montreal 05-04-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halifaxhab (Post 49252405)

They do. Lefebvre, Malka, Desjardins, Desharnais, Mayer, etc....

Mike8 05-04-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7 (Post 49252141)
I like the fact that Bergevin brings some outside the box thinking to the Habs organization...as time goes by, I think the legend of the Ghost is going to get magnified, and not in a good way...

What outside the box thinking?

lamp9post 05-04-2012 08:59 AM

Quote:

It will be interesting to see how history judges Gauthier's short reign. Most of our bad contracts are done after two years, so it's not like he has irreparably damaged the team or anything.

Who knows, maybe in a couple years Holland, Bournival, Tinordi, and Eller will all be big parts of the team and it will turn out that he did more good than harm. He also left the incoming GM with an additional 3 2nd round picks in the next 2 years.

Halifaxhab* 05-04-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal (Post 49252581)
They do. Lefebvre, Malka, Desjardins, Desharnais, Mayer, etc....

Quote:

Originally Posted by MathMan (Post 49252547)
They pretty much do. The problem with undrafted players is that the vast majority went undrafted for a reason.

this is true, but even if they get one servicable player in 10 by doing this, it's woth the effort. And it quiets the press down.

The added scouts in Quebec would help make these choices much easier and more likely to find that gem.

There doesn't need to be a massive "let's draft and sign francophones" push. But doing this will help us along. I mean, Desjardins has proven to be a solid AHL starter and Desharnais, well, another year like this one and I think there will be a few GMs kicking themselves for not giving him more of a chance (looking at you Snow)

PyrettaBlaze* 05-04-2012 09:05 AM

Why does everyone assume that this is a Bergevin move?

Monctonscout 05-04-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

The Habs have been doing this all along...not sure why this is suddently a "new direction" by Bergevin.

G.latendresse LeBlanc Desharnais Archambault Fortier Lapierre Masse St.Denis Danis Dumont Lefebvre Bonneau Carle Lehoux O.Latendresse Desjardins Beauregard Lacasse Darche Lacroix Curadeau Bisaillon are all Quebecers the Habs have given a shot to the last 4-5 years.

Habs 4 Life 05-04-2012 09:10 AM

Can he fight ?

Monctonscout 05-04-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal (Post 49252383)
Or Timmins might have suggested it since he likely saw Morrissette when watching Archambault with the Volts this year.

Do you know if he got much playing time with Archambault?

Maybe at times but non on a regular basis....at least the times I saw Drum.

Go Habs Go 05-04-2012 09:12 AM

Watch all the people praise Bergevin for this even though the Habs do this every year.

Halifaxhab* 05-04-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 49253073)
The Habs have been doing this all along...not sure why this is suddently a "new direction" by Bergevin.

G.latendresse LeBlanc Desharnais Archambault Fortier Lapierre Masse St.Denis Danis Dumont Lefebvre Bonneau Carle Lehoux O.Latendresse Desjardins Beauregard Lacasse Darche Lacroix Curadeau Bisaillon are all Quebecers the Habs have given a shot to the last 4-5 years.

I'm not talking about drafting these guys like Lats, Leblanc.

More like an "open tryout" concept that brought in St-Denis, Desjardins, Desharnais. Scour the area, maybe a few become pros. But the optics of it help the team calm the crazed media a bit.

I am not one to push to draft more francophones just for the sake of it. Draft the best possible player, but the invites idea is a good way to go

And I know they've done this at times, not every year, but close to it. But no harm in doing it more.

Monctonscout 05-04-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Where does he bring "outside the box" thinking?

Gauthier definitely made mistakes but he still left a good situation for Bergevin. Didn't trade away any picks, prospects or core players and added some good young assets during his reign...traded up for Tinordi, Eller, Schultz, Holland, 2012 2nd 2x 2013 2nd