HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   THN confirms having a shootout is a "done deal" when the NHL returns (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=118375)

Accord 12-13-2004 02:58 PM

THN confirms having a shootout is a "done deal" when the NHL returns

The Hockey News has confirmed that it's pretty much a done deal that whenever the NHL returns, the shootout will be used to decide games if the 5 minute 4-on-4 OT period failed to produce a winner.

http://www.thn.com/en/headlines/deta...t=954945254360

Ajacied 12-13-2004 02:59 PM

Yuck!

Volcanologist 12-13-2004 03:00 PM

Pathetic.

Terrible decision.

Papa Smurf 12-13-2004 03:00 PM

Boourns! :banghead: :mad: :madfire:

Psycho Papa Joe 12-13-2004 03:00 PM

One less reason to watch the NHL whenever it decides to return. This product continues to go down the tube. What a stupid gimmick.

Any truth to the rumour MLB will go to a home run derby to decide baseball games, or the NFL will go to a field goal challenge or the NBA a free throw competition?

hkyfan_333 12-13-2004 03:02 PM

:shakehead not a good idea

rt 12-13-2004 03:04 PM

Shoot outs are sooooooo dumb. It's not hockey. Might as well have just have the teams fist fight at the end to see who wins. That, certainly, would get some ratings. :thumbd:

Jason MacIsaac 12-13-2004 03:04 PM

Np.....shootout isn't fun enough....lets let them decide through rapid fire and hardest shot compition......

Cruiser008 12-13-2004 03:04 PM

Hey at least the NHL is making an ATTEMPT (perhaps however feeble) to appeal to a wider audience.

Insert dissenting comment regarding how these changes are an insult to the purity (esp. the TEAM aspect of hockey) of the game here _____________________

Papa Smurf 12-13-2004 03:04 PM

Annnnnnnnd the obi+chuary for the NHL is also almost a done deal.

1917-2004

Jason MacIsaac 12-13-2004 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian_man
Annnnnnnnd the obi+chuary for the NHL is also almost a done deal.

1917-2004

You actually think hockey/NHL will die in Canada? Bettman will die before that......that is a good thing :)

Thornton97 12-13-2004 03:10 PM

Horrible idea for the sport and the hardcore fans, however it is a decent attempt to draw in a much larger fan base - specifically the Americans and our thirty second attention spans. We want a lot of things to happen quickly.

Does everyone here have the same opinions about college football and their run-and-gun overtime? Granted it's not the exact same thing, but it is similar. There is talk the NFL is looking to implement something like it.

Just my opinion. I don't like it from a traditionalist view, but if the sport is going to succeed, there needs to be a very good reason for just the casual fan to watch it.

Seachd 12-13-2004 03:15 PM

I think it's a terrible idea. Shootouts are not exciting when they happen all the time. They're not exciting when they decide the outcome of important games. They're not a good idea.

MS 12-13-2004 03:21 PM

:banghead:

What a crock of s***. If a game is tied, why don't we just put the two goaltenders in a hot dog eating contest to decide who wins the game? Because that would be just as relevent to the 65 minutes of play beforehand as a shootout.

devilsfan26 12-13-2004 03:24 PM

The college football overtime format is a hell of a lot better than the NFL's overtime, for the simple fact that a winner can be determined by a coin toss in the NFL. At least with college football's format, each team is guaranteed a chance at offense.

BlueBleeder 12-13-2004 03:28 PM

Quote:

What a crock of s***. If a game is tied, why don't we just put the two goaltenders in a hot dog eating contest to decide who wins the game? Because that would be just as relevent to the 65 minutes of play beforehand as a shootout.
The Flames have the perfect goalie if they do that .... Andrei Medvedev.

Shoot out to decide the all star game good idea, shoot out to decide a regular season game bad idea.

Makes me sick.

EventHorizon 12-13-2004 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thornton97
Does everyone here have the same opinions about college football and their run-and-gun overtime? Granted it's not the exact same thing, but it is similar. There is talk the NFL is looking to implement something like it.

Yup, that is definitely just as stupid as a shootout. God, I hope the NFL doesn't go to that.

I seriously wish the fans had some kind of say in rule changes. A shootout is a clear attempt at appealing to people that have no interest in hockey while at the same time giving a giant middle finger to those who have been fans their whole lives. Absolutely ridiculous.

PecaFan 12-13-2004 03:28 PM

Pathetic.

It'll last one year. Once they see even more boring trapfests where the guilty parties actually steal a "win" in the shootout instead of a tie, once all the fans of the home team go home pissed off because they "lost" in a shootout (shootouts are only exciting when the *home team* wins), once they see some team stole a playoff spot from another because of a few extra points in shootouts, they'll come to their senses.

I point out yet again - when does a game become a "tie"?

The last second of the game. Up until that point, it was just another great close game, that somebody could win at any second. 2.5 hours of great entertainment is invalidated because of a tie?

If that's the case, you're not really a hockey fan. You're a results fan. The final score is more important than the actual playing of the game, the hits, the shots, the goals, etc.

Epsilon 12-13-2004 03:30 PM

I have absolutely no problem with this for the regular season. Over the course of an entire season, where thousands of games are played, everything tends to balance out and the overall effect is negligible. It adds something without really losing anything.

Toonces 12-13-2004 03:32 PM

This is horrible...

Are they still going to give out a point just for reaching OT?

TVanek26* 12-13-2004 03:35 PM

Wah Wah Wah...I think it's a good idea,as it will be more exciting for fairweather fans where most of the money is.You want the NHL to survive,this is a way to do it.

toothlessgrin 12-13-2004 03:45 PM

I think a decent compromise would be to have a 'powerplay shootout'. Allow each team a 2 minute 5 on 4 powerplay. If the game is still tied, each team gets a 2 minute 5 on 3 until the game is won. Keeps the "team" aspect alive and woud help determine a winner pretty quickly IMO.

KOVALEV10* 12-13-2004 03:47 PM

Guys I have nothing against you but why is it that almost everyone is against a shootout?

Joe T Choker 12-13-2004 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
Guys I have nothing against you but why is it that almost everyone is against a shootout?

it has nothing to do with the team aspect!!, just cherry pickers

rt 12-13-2004 03:49 PM

I like the college football overtime. 5 minutes of 5 on 5 is good by me. 5 minutes of 4 on 4 is cool too, I guess. 1 point for a win. 0 points for a tie. -1 point for a loss.