HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Drug use on a hockey team (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1184147)

night-timer 05-05-2012 07:26 AM

Drug use on a hockey team
 
Serious question time, folks....

I want opinions on how you would tackle the following topic or whether you would ignore it as "none of your business" or "out of your league".

I am alternate captain on my team and the team manager. I am also a committee member at the club and have done a bit of coaching for the club.

If you heard that the team's assistant coach walked into the mens' room before a game and discovered a player sniffing a line of cocaine, what would you do?

This alleged incident happened months ago and I was never told about it at the time, despite my credentials on the team. Should I rightly have been informed?

Maybe the matter went higher up the chain to be dealt with and left "confidential" or private and out-of-bounds for the rest of the team.

Even now, I have no idea if the story is true, so should I bring the controversy out in the open and quiz the assistant coach for info, or should I just let the matter go?

Is it my place to get involved?

The season ended and the player left the club, but he is now keen to return. I am also concerned that, if true, the incident could give the entire team a dubious reputation.

Pittsburgh Proud 05-05-2012 07:53 AM

What level of play is this?

night-timer 05-05-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud (Post 49289919)
What level of play is this?

Not pick-up, it's a senior non-checking recreational level of play, but we have written anti-doping policies and a player code of conduct that needs to be signed, etc.

dpixel8 05-05-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Proud (Post 49289919)
What level of play is this?


This was my question too.

BLBarmada 05-05-2012 11:35 AM

My opinion is that you should tell him he cannot do drugs inside the rink, or while being on league soil...

It's your business to a certain extent.

Stickmata 05-05-2012 12:56 PM

If we kicked every player out of our league that had drugs or alcohol in their system during a game, we'd probably lose 20 percent of our men's league. I would stay out of it unless it gets bad enough to affect the safety of the players on the ice. I expect that, when he got caught, he was told to keep it out of the rink in the future.

jsykes 05-05-2012 01:25 PM

Personally, its gone and done, I would not consider doing anything about that particular incident.

If anything, all I'd do is maybe say something to the player that there had been a story going around of the incident, emphasize you're not asking if its true or not, but just making sure he's aware of the doping policy and to be careful as if it does come out or happen again, there might be action taken.

In a way, do it as a friend giving a warning and not that you're looking to get to the bottom of the story or the truth.

EDIT: Just to add though, if I did find out this was happening and a regular thing, I'd let the higher league authorities know and let them deal with it as I, personally, would not want to play with him regularly out of fear of him causing an injury to himself or someone else.

hockeymass 05-05-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickmata (Post 49295993)
If we kicked every player out of our league that had drugs or alcohol in their system during a game, we'd probably lose 20 percent of our men's league. I would stay out of it unless it gets bad enough to affect the safety of the players on the ice. I expect that, when he got caught, he was told to keep it out of the rink in the future.

Doing coke in the bathroom is a HELL of a far cry from having a beer before the game.

donkers* 05-05-2012 01:35 PM

A player who has been having a few beers before games is more likely to hurt himself than a player who has hit a few bumps. Just saying.

I would ask him to stop using where it is in open view of anyone who would disapprove. It's obvious you're bothered by the open drug use and he should take that into consideration. What he does in his own time is his problem but if it affects others then that's when something needs to be done/said.

Wildturkey12 05-05-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkers (Post 49298245)
A player who has been having a few beers before games is more likely to hurt himself than a player who has hit a few bumps. Just saying.

Sure if you dont count a heart attack as hurting yourself.

I would just tell the guy that the team is full and move on from the situation. Its one thing to show up to the rink high but to be doing rails in the bathroom brings the whole team into the situation.

hockeymass 05-05-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 (Post 49299593)
Sure if you dont count a heart attack as hurting yourself.

I would just tell the guy that the team is full and move on from the situation. Its one thing to show up to the rink high but to be doing rails in the bathroom brings the whole team into the situation.

This is what I'm saying. I can't believe people are honestly saying "eh" to the idea of a guy snorting lines in the rink bathroom. We're not talking about taking a couple rips in the living room or knocking back a beer in the parking lot. Coke is serious.

Mansfield 05-05-2012 04:12 PM

Yeah, I'd say that's serious enough to merit action.

Stickmata 05-05-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeymass (Post 49297837)
Doing coke in the bathroom is a HELL of a far cry from having a beer before the game.

Meh, not really, at least from perspective of playing a game of rec league hockey. I wouldn't be any more concerned about that guy than I would the guy who had a few beers or smoked a few bowls. Wish none of them were out there on the ice with me, but sad reality is life's not that clean and nice.

I'm talking about the pure hockey thing, not the 'what should I do for a friend with a drug problem' perspective. That's another thing entirely.

Personally, I've always found it pretty ridiculous that people think it's okay to drink a few beers and then slap a couple razors to their feet and go fly around at 20 mph in a contained space with nothing to protect their spinal cord but a hockey jersey and a little dumb luck. But that's just me.

hockeymass 05-05-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickmata (Post 49309729)
Meh, not really, at least from perspective of playing a game of rec league hockey. I wouldn't be any more concerned about that guy than I would the guy who had a few beers or smoked a few bowls. Wish none of them were out there on the ice with me, but sad reality is life's not that clean and nice.

I'm talking about the pure hockey thing, not the 'what should I do for a friend with a drug problem' perspective. That's another thing entirely.

Personally, I've always found it pretty ridiculous that people think it's okay to drink a few beers and then slap a couple razors to their feet and go fly around at 20 mph in a contained space with nothing to protect their spinal cord but a hockey jersey and a little dumb luck. But that's just me.

One's a narcotic that is strictly outlawed in most countries and the other isn't. There's a difference, especially regarding the acceptability of use in a public place. Some of these responses are quite shocking.

Maupin Fan 05-05-2012 07:53 PM

I can't believe that there are people out there that take beer league so seriously that they are doing blow to get up before a game.... Get a life

CunniJA 05-05-2012 07:55 PM

Outlawed or not, I'll take the guy that did a bit of coke over the drunk any day of the week as far as safety goes. Still, let's not argue about that. Either one is dangerous and it shouldn't be happening, nuff said. I think you're entitled to see what was up.

hockeymass 05-05-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CunniJA (Post 49316411)
Outlawed or not, I'll take the guy that did a bit of coke over the drunk any day of the week as far as safety goes. Still, let's not argue about that. Either one is dangerous and it shouldn't be happening, nuff said. I think you're entitled to see what was up.

Obviously someone that is fall-down drunk is a hazard on the ice. But seriously, come on now.

Fanned On It 05-06-2012 01:58 AM

Idk if you really want to bring this issue up months after the fact... I'd personally wait and see if it happens again, then act on it. A person can use coke in his own privacy all he wants as long as it's not affecting other people (from a hockey perspective, not a "good friend" perspective).

Truth of the matter is, you have no idea who else is on the ice under the influence of whatever, and honestly, a bump of coke isn't going to give someone a heart-attack during a hockey game. It's probably safer than getting drunk beforehand.

If it's a matter of you not wanting this kid using on the rink's premises, then tell him that and let that be the end of it.

Gino 14 05-06-2012 07:20 AM

Before you go and make a huge deal out this, which many on here already have, you should talk first to the assistant coach and get his story and then to the player if it is justified to get his version. Without a shred of proof you're just a bit premature in making any kind of decision.

Lonny Bohonos 05-06-2012 08:25 AM

Coke is certainly a concern.

However alcohol affects decision making and not just the reaction physically but also mentally.

Frankly I dislike playing with guys who have been boozing before the game.

Generally they are far more irritable and likely to do something stupid.

Wildturkey12 05-06-2012 08:53 PM

Some of these responses make me feel like such a square. Maybe I should bring a few 8 balls for after my next game instead of beer.

donkers* 05-06-2012 08:56 PM

Sorry, my mom never took me to church on Sundays.

hockeymass 05-06-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos (Post 49329713)
Coke is certainly a concern.

However alcohol affects decision making and not just the reaction physically but also mentally.

Frankly I dislike playing with guys who have been boozing before the game.

Generally they are far more irritable and likely to do something stupid.

I dislike playing with drunks, but I find dudes who have been snorting rails in the rink bathroom to be far more objectionable.

hockeymass 05-06-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 (Post 49356679)
Some of these responses make me feel like such a square. Maybe I should bring a few 8 balls for after my next game instead of beer.

Apparently some of us aren't cool enough to think drugs are a-ok.

Fanned On It 05-07-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeymass (Post 49359227)
Apparently some of us aren't cool enough to think drugs are a-ok.

Dude it's not like that at all... I feel like what you just said is always the response when someone says a certain "drug" isn't as evil as D.A.R.E. would have you believe. Doing or not doing drugs doesn't make anyone "cooler"/more lame than anyone else.

The problem with drugs lies in the people that are using them. Most drug users are uneducated on whatever substance they are using, and that leads to a lot of dangerous situations. This also goes the other way: Most non-drug-users are uneducated on substances in general, which tends to lead to a lot of unfounded fear and resentment. If a person is going to decide that they want to use drugs, they better be smart enough to read up on as much information as they can beforehand. Conversely, if a person is going to decide they want to hate on drug-users, then they should read up and learn about what exactly they are hating.

People should read up on things and make up their own minds instead of just listening to what society tells them to.

Sorry that was kind of off topic... I had to rant real quick, haha.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.