HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   NHL Draft - Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Which WHL D-men could stick in the NHL this season?? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1184659)

Trav 05-05-2012 11:36 PM

Which WHL D-men could stick in the NHL this season??
 
providing there's a season lol.

Murray I'm guessing will if he's picked by the Oilers or Blue Jackets

How bout Reilly, Dumba, Pouliot, Reinhart?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* 05-05-2012 11:48 PM

Reilly if he is on a really needing team. Dumba too probably especially if he goes to NYI (like I think he will).

IHaveNoCreativity 05-06-2012 09:26 AM

I'll go with the obvious choice Murray....

I've never seen the rest play.

I am the Liquor 05-06-2012 09:31 AM

Morrow, Petrovic, Murray.

sbtatter 05-06-2012 10:12 AM

I think the only one that has a chance is Murray. Maybe Petrovic. The rest all need more seasoning and experience. Why rush an 18/19 year old and maybe ruin him.

wej20 05-06-2012 10:24 AM

If Pens weren't so deep on defence then I think Joe Morrow could stick.

PaulSedin 05-06-2012 10:34 AM

no way that Pouliot or Reinhart stick

R S 05-07-2012 12:06 AM

Only one who has a real shot of the draft eligibles to me is Murray.

As far as other guys go, Dougie Hamilton is a big name who should.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see it was asking about WHL specifically.

mgd525 05-07-2012 08:53 PM

Imo Joe Morrow could have played this year and not look out of place.

Laterade 05-07-2012 08:55 PM

Dumba!

brutalhockey 05-07-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trav (Post 49324455)
providing there's a season lol.

Murray I'm guessing will if he's picked by the Oilers or Blue Jackets

How bout Reilly, Dumba, Pouliot, Reinhart?

Dumba is possible.

R S 05-08-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgd525 (Post 49410431)
Imo Joe Morrow could have played this year and not look out of place.

No he couldn't have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalhockey (Post 49410877)
Dumba is possible.

No, he's not really.

Epic Neal Time 05-08-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgd525 (Post 49410431)
Imo Joe Morrow could have played this year and not look out of place.

He had an excellent training camp, but he wouldn't have had the same impact in the regular season, imo. Next season he can definitely make an impact, but I doubt he'll be on Pittsburgh's roster.

HanSolo 05-08-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulSedin (Post 49332867)
no way that Pouliot or Reinhart stick

I don't see why not. He's responsible and he's got NHL strength. I could easily see him in a bottom pairing role in some top 10 lineups

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalhockey (Post 49410877)
Dumba is possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 49434681)
No he couldn't have.



No, he's not really.

I don't see why not here either. I mean by no means would it be a good idea as far as development goes, but from what I've seen he has the speed and strength to handle himself.
The question is who could stick, not who will be effective.

R S 05-08-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 49437781)
I don't see why not here either. I mean by no means would it be a good idea as far as development goes, but from what I've seen he has the speed and strength to handle himself.
The question is who could stick, not who will be effective.

Fair enough, but unless he gains 15 pounds over the summer (which is basically impossible) I don't see a team risking it. He's strong, but he's strong against 17-18 year olds...not against 30 year old grown men.

He's not NHL ready and won't be in the NHL next season.

HanSolo 05-08-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 49438101)
Fair enough, but unless he gains 15 pounds over the summer (which is basically impossible) I don't see a team risking it. He's strong, but he's strong against 17-18 year olds...not against 30 year old grown men.

He's not NHL ready and won't be in the NHL next season.

I believe it. Just using my own experience, the same was said about Cam Fowler (needs to put on 15 or so pounds) and he still did relatively well his first year.....but...yeah Dumba needs to bulk up. 174 pounds isn't going to cut it. I'm just saying I've seen guys like him...not excel but they got spots. If he was playing 7-10 minutes a night he could be effective, the only thing is there's no point. Better he go continue his development for another year.

And lol, I don't know about that. I put on 20 pounds in one summer. Granted half of it was because of food, but I still made it happen.

Tasty Biscuits 05-08-2012 11:54 AM

Seth Jones :sarcasm:

Anthony Eclair 05-08-2012 12:42 PM

Murray, Morrow, Petrovic, McIlrath

40oz 05-08-2012 01:27 PM

Buffalo probably doesnt need him to, but I think Pysyk could step in next year.

R S 05-08-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 49438503)
I believe it. Just using my own experience, the same was said about Cam Fowler (needs to put on 15 or so pounds) and he still did relatively well his first year.....but...yeah Dumba needs to bulk up. 174 pounds isn't going to cut it. I'm just saying I've seen guys like him...not excel but they got spots. If he was playing 7-10 minutes a night he could be effective, the only thing is there's no point. Better he go continue his development for another year.

And lol, I don't know about that. I put on 20 pounds in one summer. Granted half of it was because of food, but I still made it happen.

Fowler was MUCH further advanced offensively than Dumba currently is, in my opinion. And that's saying something considering he was a top 5 WHL goal scorer from the blueline and led the Under 18's in scoring etc.

Sojourn 05-08-2012 04:06 PM

Based on what I've seen of Dumba, he needs to be physically ready to be an effective player in the NHL. He needs to be able to physically match up against the players he's on the ice against. That wasn't Fowler's game at all, and I think Fowler was able to fall back on his talent level to fill the gap before his body was really ready. In many ways, I think that's still the case, as Fowler still has a lot of physical maturing to do.

I am the Liquor 05-08-2012 04:23 PM

Im not sure Fowler is ready for the nhl tbh.

Sojourn 05-08-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am the Liquor (Post 49450555)
Im not sure Fowler is ready for the nhl tbh.

That's quite a statement, because two separate NHL coaches felt he was deserving of 20+ minutes of ice time a game. I don't think anyone who has consistently seen him would say he's not ready. Perhaps being asked to do too much for Anaheim, but he is clearly an NHL player.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* 05-08-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sojourn (Post 49452093)
That's quite a statement, because two separate NHL coaches felt he was deserving of 20+ minutes of ice time a game. I don't think anyone who has consistently seen him would say he's not ready. Perhaps being asked to do too much for Anaheim, but he is clearly an NHL player.

I think he isn't ready for the role he is being given. The talent is there, he's had it since he was on Honeybaked dominating our good Team Illinois team in 06-07.

But defenders take a long time to hone. Unlike forwards, regardless of how offensively minded they are, their position requires them to play defense. So they have to play the defensive game regardless if they step up and play past the redline.

With Fowler he has/had to start learning the responsible two-way game, especially if he is trying to be honed into a Niedermayer-esque player.

These offensive dynamos come out of Juniors and expect to continue playing their game, but there's a huge learning curve.

Torts 05-08-2012 06:11 PM

Murray

any others will be sent back unless they are old enough to play in AHL


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.