HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   2012 NHL Draft Thread III (June 22nd-23rd) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1184927)

Samkow 05-06-2012 03:42 PM

2012 NHL Draft Thread III (June 22nd-23rd)
 
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._NHL_Draft.png

CBJBrassard16 05-06-2012 04:45 PM

And LA's first now becomes in the 25-30 range

IBleedUnionBlue 05-06-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbjbrassard16 (Post 49346647)
25-30 range

27-30

CBJBrassard16 05-06-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue (Post 49346917)
27-30

Yeah, two numbers off, I really needed to be corrected. :shakehead

:sarcasm:

Jovavic 05-06-2012 05:12 PM

I wanted the 2013 pick anyway.

Matthew 05-06-2012 05:36 PM

*Howson takes the 30th pick*

alphafox 05-06-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew (Post 49349203)
*Howson takes the 30th pick*

I can't even begin to describe the anger of everyone if he did this... I think the board would explode. Besides, taking the 30th pick doesn't help him next year unless he trades it for immediate help. I still have a bad feeling that the entire offseason will be moves trying to save howson's job.

EspenK 05-06-2012 06:32 PM

So to continue the conversation from the previous thread - what if anything would you trade to Edmonton to swap spots to be able to draft Yakupov?

I'd consider a 2nd or 3rd or a player we wouldn't mind giving up - Methot, Calvert, Kubalik, Gilles.

Murray will probably be a good solid player for a long time. Yakupov has a chance to be a star offensive player. Isn't the upside worth giving something up to get him?

IBleedUnionBlue 05-06-2012 06:41 PM

I simply dont think the difference between 1 and 2 is worth 1 extra player. This team needs depth and isnt in a position to give depth away.

EDM 05-06-2012 07:51 PM

Of course, the off season will be moves by Howson trying to save his job. If Howson does that, it would be both natural and human. That is why little Macky's decision to keep Howson is so incredible. Howson has got to be looking for immediate improvement, long term development and improvement.

blahblah 05-06-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphafox (Post 49351217)
I can't even begin to describe the anger of everyone if he did this... I think the board would explode. Besides, taking the 30th pick doesn't help him next year unless he trades it for immediate help. I still have a bad feeling that the entire offseason will be moves trying to save howson's job.

Gee, I think I've heard that pretty much every off season.

leesmith 05-06-2012 09:48 PM

Maybe the question isn't should we trade to swap picks with Edmonton, but should we trade to GET Edmonton's pick - giving us the #1 and #2.

wahsnairb 05-06-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leesmith (Post 49365363)
Maybe the question isn't should we trade to swap picks with Edmonton, but should we trade to GET Edmonton's pick - giving us the #1 and #2.

would love to end up with yakupov and galchenyuk like I've said before.. whether that is by doing joey+ for their pick and drafting them 1+2 or moving from 2 to 1 and hoping galchenyuk is there at 5 in a Nash deal to TO

Sore Loser 05-06-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina (Post 49348157)
I wanted the 2013 pick anyway.

Seconded.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue (Post 49352019)
I simply dont think the difference between 1 and 2 is worth 1 extra player. This team needs depth and isnt in a position to give depth away.

This, as well. Nail Yakupov could be a great player, but I don't think the gap is nearly as wide as everyone thinks it is. Yes, he's the #1 offensive player in the draft; but that doesn't mean Murray, Galchenyuk, or Forsberg are going to turn into complete busts. Why give up an asset that we've worked hard to attain? Do we really want the return on Antoine Vermette - with the playoff run he's had - to be a backup AHL goaltender, a mid round pick, and one more spot in the draft? That's if we give up our late second rounder to do it - why would we give up Methot, who is really a serviceable third or fourth defenseman? Or a decent prospect, who could be a 20 goal scorer?

Those are the kinds of moves that Mike Milbury made.

Sore Loser 05-06-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphafox (Post 49351637)
Trouba's going to be a monster IMHO. Highest ceiling and if he develops his offensive game could be the next Shea Weber (without the 100+mph shot)

Trouba would be very intriguing if we were picking in the 10-14 range. I don't know if he'd fall that far, but he is certainly worth the risk for a team looking for that kind of player. Reminds me a little bit of Brooks Orpik at the same age.

EspenK 05-07-2012 05:52 AM

If Antoine Vermette had the playoff run while here he wouldn't be in Phoenix.

I like Lee's suggestion. Trade a boatload of stuff & get both picks. This team is so far removed from serious cup contention that adding another 2nd rounder to the stable of assets is not going to help much.

I don't think we have what it takes to get the 1 and 2 but to not take a flyer at the one for a draft pick or a borderline player is kinda silly imo.

Xoggz22 05-07-2012 11:31 AM

Paul Castron was on Sunday morning (CBJ radion thing) and one question posed was whether Yakupov had fallen some given his lower production this year and injuries. Castron said yes, you would have to think so. Great player but the injuries are a concern and his lower production says something too. He is an "older" draft eligible player too.

My point....above it mentions how some scouts are knocking Murray down a notch. The same happened with Tavares, Nugent Hopkins, Hall, etc. It's that time of year. No one tips their hand and everyone provides half truths.

I think think the high end talent in this draft is very solid and that defense depth is outstanding. Don't believe everything you hear/read this time of year.

Xoggz22 05-07-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EspenK (Post 49351671)
So to continue the conversation from the previous thread - what if anything would you trade to Edmonton to swap spots to be able to draft Yakupov?

I'd consider a 2nd or 3rd or a player we wouldn't mind giving up - Methot, Calvert, Kubalik, Gilles.

Murray will probably be a good solid player for a long time. Yakupov has a chance to be a star offensive player. Isn't the upside worth giving something up to get him?

I don't give up anything to move up one spot. It's only been a short time but Yakupov is compared to Hall and his size has me worried given his style of play. Hall has already experienced multiple injuries (surgery) and Yak plays the same kind of game and roughly the same size.

I don't mind if Yakupov ends up with CBJ but I'm concerned that he's not going to live up to "#1". He may be the majority #1 pick but he isn't head and shoulders above the rest of the top picks. As I recall, Galchenyuk was expected to give him a run for his money at #1. Granted, he too had an injury so there is concern there (I don't want to come across as a hypocrit). My ideal draft gets the CBJ Galchenyuk and Murray. This, of course, means moving Nash for a top 5 pick and the chips to fall correctly.

Anyway, I don't move assets for 1 spot in this instance. Let Edmonton take the gamble. In a weird sort of way I think losing the lottery takes some pressure off having the #1 pick. We know what Edmonton needs and whether they do it through the draft or moving one of their young forwards, I don't want it to be Columbus that ponies up assets.

Double-Shift Lassť 05-07-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoggz22 (Post 49382577)
Paul Castron was on Sunday morning (CBJ radion thing) and one question posed was whether Yakupov had fallen some given his lower production this year and injuries. Castron said yes, you would have to think so. Great player but the injuries are a concern and his lower production says something too. He is an "older" draft eligible player too.

My point....above it mentions how some scouts are knocking Murray down a notch. The same happened with Tavares, Nugent Hopkins, Hall, etc. It's that time of year. No one tips their hand and everyone provides half truths.

I think think the high end talent in this draft is very solid and that defense depth is outstanding. Don't believe everything you hear/read this time of year.

Interesting points but I'm taking what you say with a grain of salt.

blahblah 05-07-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoggz22 (Post 49382875)
Anyway, I don't move assets for 1 spot in this instance. Let Edmonton take the gamble.

Depends on what you mean by "assets". If they want our #1 and a 4th round pick, I'm ok with that. If they want Gillies, which they wouldn't but our friend up there suggested, more power to them. Methot? Get rid of that 3 million dollar contract please. Kubalik or Calvert? Hell no.

Xoggz22 05-07-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 49385239)
Depends on what you mean by "assets". If they want our #1 and a 4th round pick, I'm ok with that. If they want Gillies, which they wouldn't but our friend up there suggested, more power to them. Methot? Get rid of that 3 million dollar contract please. Kubalik or Calvert? Hell no.

Fair enough. I don't disagree that it would depend on the "asset". I still think we hold out and let someone else either pay the asset or see just what happens at the draft. I would not be surprised if Edmonton picks Murray #1.

blahblah 05-07-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoggz22 (Post 49393203)
Fair enough. I don't disagree that it would depend on the "asset". I still think we hold out and let someone else either pay the asset or see just what happens at the draft. I would not be surprised if Edmonton picks Murray #1.

Really just depends on how you view the players in question and if the guy you want as #1 is worth it.

Me, personally, if I'm trading Nash I'm looking to move up a pick if the price is reasonable. If it's not, then I'm content with #2.

ThisIsMyAlibi 05-07-2012 04:20 PM

Alex Galchenyuk's ceiling and potential impact is so much higher than Ryan Murray's. If he checks out physically he's obviously the pick.

Xoggz22 05-07-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 49393825)
Really just depends on how you view the players in question and if the guy you want as #1 is worth it.

Me, personally, if I'm trading Nash I'm looking to move up a pick if the price is reasonable. If it's not, then I'm content with #2.

I Think the Nash domino is a big one to fall. While it wouldn't change my opinion on moving an asset, it might change my opinion on who is taken at #2. I'm very bullish on Galchenyuk and think he's got a chance to be better than Yakupov in the long run. He's unlikely to have the impact next year but that's OK with me. I'd like to see what happens with Johansen and Brassard at C and see how our depth turns out in a year or two. I think wings can be had via trade.

alphafox 05-08-2012 08:20 AM

Personally, I hope we trade, flipping with the Islanders or Leafs depending on the deal we could get. I can see Toronto paying a fairly heafty sum to move up to 2 so that they can take Galchenyuk before Montreal can take him. Something like the 5th overall and Colborne/pick for our 2nd overall. While we lose out on murray who I really like, we can choose between a Trouba (if we want D) or Forsberg while picking up a solid prospect/pick.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.