HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   OHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   *OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1185575)

FrozenFloor 05-07-2012 03:04 PM

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread
 
http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/

Tickets - http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/page/individual-tickets
2012 Playoff Roster - http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/rost...ar/2011/team/7

In the first round of the OHL draft this past April the Rangers selected a 6'4 winger Matt Schmalz. I'm very interested to see if they can get Ryan Macinnis over to play in the O as last I heard he was heading the NCAA route.

Figured I might as well start the thread now, better early than later right.

Ward Cornell 05-07-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrozenFloor (Post 49392513)
http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/

Tickets - http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/page/individual-tickets
2012 Playoff Roster - http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/rost...ar/2011/team/7

In the first round of the OHL draft this past April the Rangers selected a 6'4 winger Matt Schmalz. I'm very interested to see if they can get Ryan Macinnis over to play in the O as last I heard he was heading the NCAA route.

Figured I might as well start the thread now, better early than later right.

Internet chatter (100% reliable :laugh:) has MacInnis playing 1 year for the USNDTP then will be signing with Kitchener.
I don't understand the 1 year since they usually require a two year commitment. I know that there's a $50,000 buyout but I don't see the Rangers or the MacInnis's paying that amount.

FrozenFloor 05-07-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward Cornell (Post 49394569)
Internet chatter (100% reliable :laugh:) has MacInnis playing 1 year for the USNDTP then will be signing with Kitchener.
I don't understand the 1 year since they usually require a two year commitment. I know that there's a $50,000 buyout but I don't see the Rangers or the MacInnis's paying that amount.

Is that 50,000$ buyout 100% necessary or up the USNDTP to enforce? Could they theoretically have a wink-wink agreement to lessen the buyout to 25,000$? If the USNDTP knows they are going to lose MacInnis inevitably better to get some sort of play out of him?

My next question is if there is a 50G charge to get him over, could Kitchener/MacInnis family split the cost to get him over, 25 thou a piece?

EvenSteven 05-08-2012 05:38 PM

I've heard the same rumors about 1 year at the NTDP and then play here. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Why spend only one year there and not the standard two? Will leaving early affect his WJC consideration?

More importantly, why wouldn't he play there for two years and then be NHL drafted out of that league instead of the OHL. That would be he could possibly be fast tracked to the pros a la Jeremy Morin and John Carlsson. I could see it if he were a late birthdate - but he isn't.

JSavoire 05-08-2012 06:01 PM

One question will be what they do with Gilbert this coming year with their new Draft picks and current roster.

EvenSteven 05-08-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSavoire (Post 49453703)
One question will be what they do with Gilbert this coming year with their new Draft picks and current roster.


Regarding Gilbert:

Our defense going into next year providing Murphy is returned (in order of age):

Murphy - 93
Fanelli - 93
Iafrate - 94
McEneny - 94
Young - 94
Genovese - 94
Midensky - 94
Gilbert - 95

- Eden - 94 isn't signed and IMO, unless he can get into the top 6 this year, I wouldn't sign him - especially since I hear it'll cost us another pick to do so.
- Trouba - 94, if he reports(fingers crossed), will walk right onto the top pairing with Murphy.
- we didn't draft any d-men in the top half of the draft so don't look for any underage d-men on this team next year.

Spott has gone on record as saying he wants to "go for it" next year. If he is going to do that, he'll likely deal for an OA d-man as we have two OA spots open. I think only once has this team gone without an OA d-man since the DeBoer/Spott regime started and I don't expect Spott to change that stance.

That would have our top six looking like this:

Murphy / OA
Fanelli / Iafrate
Genovese / McEneny

...with Young and Gilbert rounding out the roster. And if Trouba reports, then it'll get even more sticky.

If Spott is going to "go for it" as he says, then he'll have to get a lot better up front. Since we have a lot of depth on the back end, especially offensive d-men, look for at least one if not two young, quality d-men to go the other way in any deal for quality veteran forward(s). The two d-men that may be moved, or at least the ones that every team will be asking for, are McEneny and Gilbert.

Genovese and Young will be kept here since they were mainstays in the lineup throughout most of the playoffs and they are our only young stay-at-home types.


I think if Spott does go for it, then Gilbert may be on the move. If everything falls apart next year, then the Rangers clean house, and Gilbert stays and sees a lot of ice.

Just my view

JSavoire 05-08-2012 10:56 PM

Well I would imagine if Spott and company 'go for it' then that would be a signal for a player like a Gilbert for example to try and move on being his Draft year. I can't imagine being the 4rth line D in that situation would be a healthy way to enter your Draft year. After watching the Rangers run this year I think there are great positive components to the team and I would, if I were Coach Spott, also go for it! Great style of hockey and lots of great fans would make for an exciting year. Guess we'll see things unfold.

Ward Cornell 05-09-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvenSteven (Post 49462131)

Genovese and Young will be kept here since they were mainstays in the lineup throughout most of the playoffs and they are our only young stay-at-home types.

I know what you're saying but IMHO....McEneny > Gilbert > Young > Genovese.
Maybe it's me but Genovese seems to be a deer in a car headlights when he's on the ice. Of all the defencemen I have him at the bottom of depth chart.

BenchedGuy 05-09-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward Cornell (Post 49481933)
I know what you're saying but IMHO....McEneny > Gilbert > Young > Genovese.
Maybe it's me but Genovese seems to be a deer in a car headlights when he's on the ice. Of all the defencemen I have him at the bottom of depth chart.

This is somewhat how I see it too. With the current roster I see those 4 battling for the last 2 spots with McEneny having the edge for one of them and the other spot for who earns it out of camp. But I would also have to put Midensky in that group too for the last spot.

The good part about this log jam is that we have young D with potential that we can move to solidify our forward group. Even if Rieder and Faksa come back, I would still like to see another offensive explosive forward be brought in to strengthen our top 6.

KnightRanger 05-09-2012 08:39 AM

It would be hard to imagine a trade between London and Kitchener next year with both teams likely competing for a title, but they do have opposite problems. London needs defense and Kitchener needs offense. Athanasiou is rumored to be on the block after this season. He's a 94 birth date with a ton of upside and speed to burn. I'd love watching him play with Matia. Rangers have the assets on the blue line to make a deal like that!

Luvtowatch 05-09-2012 12:06 PM

Which goalie is getting traded? Can't keep both.

BenchedGuy 05-09-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvtowatch (Post 49491179)
Which goalie is getting traded? Can't keep both.

With Gibson being AHL eligible, I see the wait and see what happens approach until one if any get dealt. And that will not happen until NHL training camps are underway/finished. So I see both Frankie and John being on the Rangers roster for the opening of OHL training camp and possibly the start of the year.

Ward Cornell 05-09-2012 12:30 PM

Rangers 1st round pick Matt Schmalz has officially signed with the Rangers.

http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/arti...k-matt-schmalz

Luvtowatch 05-09-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenchedGuy (Post 49492219)
With Gibson being AHL eligible, I see the wait and see what happens approach until one if any get dealt. And that will not happen until NHL training camps are underway/finished. So I see both Frankie and John being on the Rangers roster for the opening of OHL training camp and possibly the start of the year.

Gibson is a 93. Not AHL eligible. No way Frankie will stay as #2.

Tigers1992 05-09-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvtowatch (Post 49492819)
Gibson is a 93. Not AHL eligible. No way Frankie will stay as #2.

Drafted out of the US program, He can go to the AHL if thats what the Ducks decide.

Luvtowatch 05-09-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigers1992 (Post 49492943)
Drafted out of the US program, He can go to the AHL if thats what the Ducks decide.

Didn't know that. Wouldn't they prefer him in the OHL as a 19 yr old goalie?

Tigers1992 05-09-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvtowatch (Post 49493313)
Didn't know that. Wouldn't they prefer him in the OHL as a 19 yr old goalie?

I would have to think that they would. I cant remember the last successful 19 year old in the AHL.

Ward Cornell 05-09-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luvtowatch (Post 49493313)
Didn't know that. Wouldn't they prefer him in the OHL as a 19 yr old goalie?

Most likely but like Tigers said they can do whatever they want....but the Ducks have goalkeeping depth and with Bobkov graduating as an OA from Kingston the Ducks may not have playin' time for Gibson in the AHL.

JSavoire 05-09-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward Cornell (Post 49493587)
Most likely but like Tigers said they can do whatever they want....but the Ducks have goalkeeping depth and with Bobkov graduating as an OA from Kingston the Ducks may not have playin' time for Gibson in the AHL.

Good point. Be interesting to see what happens.

BenchedGuy 05-09-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSavoire (Post 49496523)
Good point. Be interesting to see what happens.

Will most likely be back, but for security reasons I don't see Frankie or John being dealt until the Rangers know exactly what the situation is with Gibson coming back or not for sure.

Quote:

Rangers 1st round pick Matt Schmalz has officially signed with the Rangers.

http://www.kitchenerrangers.com/arti...k-matt-schmalz
Good it's official. A 6'5" 186lbs '96 centreman is going to be something to watch in rookie camp.
Hopefully Darby gets signed shortly as well.

EvenSteven 05-09-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward Cornell (Post 49481933)
I know what you're saying but IMHO....McEneny > Gilbert > Young > Genovese.
Maybe it's me but Genovese seems to be a deer in a car headlights when he's on the ice. Of all the defencemen I have him at the bottom of depth chart.


I have Genovese in our starting six next year, - not because he is ahead of guys like Gilbert or McEneny in terms of our depth chart, but in terms of this team's need of a couple solid stay at home d-men. He is also the only existing d-man willing to get his "hands dirty", so to speak, with any regularity with the graduation of Cody Sol.

I have him behind Fanelli as far as stay-at-home guys go. He gains a wealth of experience in this post season - especially in the series vs Plymouth. Every shift he and Young had was against quality veteran players. He didn't look so bad and neither did Young either considering they are pretty green. I see Genovese being our "Cody Sol" two years from now.

And as far as depth chart goes, no way Genovese is lower than Young and Midensky. Midensky has shown he has a long way to go to becoming an OHL player. After Melchiori was dealt away, he was exposed and stuggled big time. The best I see him becoming is the next Myles Barbieri - 7th or 8th on the depth chart throughout his career. Hell we have four '94 d-men on the roster and they are all ahead of him IMO (Iafrate, McEneny, and Young). Trouba is a '94 as well.

I'll even go as far as to predict that Mitchell Eden, a third round draft pick to Oshawa, would be ahead of Midensky, an undrafted FA signing, if he were signed. Hey, I'm not hating on Midensky here - just calling it like I see it.

EvenSteven 05-09-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenchedGuy (Post 49483029)
This is somewhat how I see it too. With the current roster I see those 4 battling for the last 2 spots with McEneny having the edge for one of them and the other spot for who earns it out of camp. But I would also have to put Midensky in that group too for the last spot.

The good part about this log jam is that we have young D with potential that we can move to solidify our forward group. Even if Rieder and Faksa come back, I would still like to see another offensive explosive forward be brought in to strengthen our top 6.


We're going to need a lot more than one explosive forward brought into our top six if we want to try and win a championship next year.

Spott says he expects/hopes that our youth will replace our lost offense with the graduation of Catenacci and Randell.

Lets take a look at our youth up front. Quick example: Going into the final game vs London, our bottom six young players who Spott hopes will step up next year (Pederson, Sterk, Francisco, Lesway, Meighan, & Grant) were a collective 75 GP (man games) and scored a total of 4pts between them in these past playoffs.

Remember, some of these guys saw a lot of icetime playing with pretty good players since we were not a deep team and had no other choice but to turn to them for offense. These players are all 95's and 94's except for Grant and Francisco who are 93's but also from the bottom six. I'm excluding Faksa and Marcantuoni because they weren't considered bottom six this year.

London, on the other hand, had two frequent healthy scratches these playoffs in Athaniasou and Welychka. Collectively, those two players played a total of 12 GP between them but put up 6 pts.

And they were the scratches when everyone else is healthy!!!

We have a lot of work to do up front before we can be considered a top contender next year!

EvenSteven 05-09-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenchedGuy (Post 49499191)
Will most likely be back, but for security reasons I don't see Frankie or John being dealt until the Rangers know exactly what the situation is with Gibson coming back or not for sure.


You are right about that. But as soon as Spott gets word that Gibson is back, he has to move Frankie as long as there is good return for him. I would prefer to have both here all year and then have Frankie do the duties the year after as an OA, but Frankie wants to start - and should be given the opportunity to start next year as he's earned it. Not only that, if we're going for it, Frankie is an asset that has to be used in trade to get us as strong as possible.

What Spott has to do is not waste the asset that Frankie is, the way he did Josh Unice a few years ago. Spott held out for more for way too long only to see his stock drop, other teams get goalies elsewhere, etc, to the point where he wasn't much more than a throw in in the deal to Windsor for Maxwell. Rumor had it that at the start of the 08-09 season, Windsor offered Justin Shugg even up for Unice but Spott wanted much more. That's a rumor though - never confirmed.

If Spott tries to wait until the trade deadline, he may be caught with his pants down the way Owen Sound did this year in being unable to move OA G-Scott Stajcer. And we don't have to bring up the Mavric Parks fiasco, do we?

KnightRanger 05-09-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvenSteven (Post 49512271)
You are right about that. But as soon as Spott gets word that Gibson is back, he has to move Frankie as long as there is good return for him. I would prefer to have both here all year and then have Frankie do the duties the year after as an OA, but Frankie wants to start - and should be given the opportunity to start next year as he's earned it. Not only that, if we're going for it, Frankie is an asset that has to be used in trade to get us as strong as possible.

What Spott has to do is not waste the asset that Frankie is, the way he did Josh Unice a few years ago. Spott held out for more for way too long only to see his stock drop, other teams get goalies elsewhere, etc, to the point where he wasn't much more than a throw in in the deal to Windsor for Maxwell. Rumor had it that at the start of the 08-09 season, Windsor offered Justin Shugg even up for Unice but Spott wanted much more. That's a rumor though - never confirmed.

If Spott tries to wait until the trade deadline, he may be caught with his pants down the way Owen Sound did this year in being unable to move OA G-Scott Stajcer. And we don't have to bring up the Mavric Parks fiasco, do we?

I agree with your last 2 posts. Rangers need to make a lot of moves to compete with London next year. Like you said, AA is a top 6 forward on 18 of the 20 teams in the league this year and can't even get into the lineup unless someone is injured! He did play tonight and got another point. I mentioned it earlier, but if he is on the block come seasons end, I'd love to see him in a Ranger uniform. Can't see it happening, but London will be looking for D and possibly a goaltender!

Plymouth should be strong again next year too! West is going to be strong as always again next year!

BenchedGuy 05-10-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvenSteven (Post 49511159)
We're going to need a lot more than one explosive forward brought into our top six if we want to try and win a championship next year.

Spott says he expects/hopes that our youth will replace our lost offense with the graduation of Catenacci and Randell.

Lets take a look at our youth up front. Quick example: Going into the final game vs London, our bottom six young players who Spott hopes will step up next year (Pederson, Sterk, Francisco, Lesway, Meighan, & Grant) were a collective 75 GP (man games) and scored a total of 4pts between them in these past playoffs.

Remember, some of these guys saw a lot of icetime playing with pretty good players since we were not a deep team and had no other choice but to turn to them for offense. These players are all 95's and 94's except for Grant and Francisco who are 93's but also from the bottom six. I'm excluding Faksa and Marcantuoni because they weren't considered bottom six this year.

London, on the other hand, had two frequent healthy scratches these playoffs in Athaniasou and Welychka. Collectively, those two players played a total of 12 GP between them but put up 6 pts.

And they were the scratches when everyone else is healthy!!!

We have a lot of work to do up front before we can be considered a top contender next year!

I was saying that even if Rieder and Faksa (explosive forwards) come back that we still need another top scoring forward (explosive). I don't consider Randell and Thomson explosive scoring forwards but they are important in the top two lines to create space and crash the net. And lets face it, there isn't alot of trade bait around to acquire such a forward. I think we can get one but two may be too much to give and still contend.

I think if we can get a Sgarbossa, Pearson or Cousins type of player and give up a package of some combination of a Young/Genovese/Gilbert along with some of our younger forwards with potential...Ming/Meighan/Lorentz it may get a deal done. We always seem to have a shortage of draft picks, so we shouldn't be so eager to hand those out. We also have other assests in Peca or ZAR that may be looking for more than Kitchener may be wanting to hand them (better education packages, NTC...) that their rights could be included in a deal.

There are other players I would like to see here to like Gemel Smith or AA(mentioned above) that may not cost as much but don't want to deal with a division rival.

I still think we need a gritty PWF on the second line and I don't know if Pedersen is the guy. So I think another deal will be made but it wont cost as much. Also would like to see an OA on D to solidify the back end. But again, these are not explosive forwards that will cost us as much and I think we have the assets to acquire these types of players easier.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.