HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Well, Whatever happens in Game 7, I am proud of this team (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1187487)

Ridley Simon 05-09-2012 10:20 PM

Well, Whatever happens in Game 7, I am proud of this team

Every single time I thought they'd fold this season, they've shown their moxie.

Didn't think they'd make the playoffs after losing to Buffalo in late March

Didn't think they'd bounce back from a crushing game 3 vs Bruins

Didn't think they'd bounce back after OT loss in game 6 vs Bruins

Was sure they wouldn't bounce back after 3 OT loss in game 3 vs Rangers

Was sure they wouldn't bounce back after back breaking OT loss in game 5 vs Rangers

And here they are, ready to play a game 7, in another foreign barn.

Kudo's to the Caps!!!

amjay13 05-09-2012 10:33 PM

I'd agree except they are so close to round 3 that it will be disappointing if they lose game 7.

txpd 05-09-2012 10:45 PM

i agree with the bounce back and the mental toughness. they still need to win this team's record in elimination games in the ovechkin era is impressive. they are getting better under fire.

they still need to win

barabr10 05-09-2012 10:47 PM

Wow you quit on your team very easily.

Carlzner 05-09-2012 10:47 PM

Agreed, but... i want to be in the Eastern Conference Finals. Badly.

Atlas 05-09-2012 10:51 PM

Though well-meaning, this thread sucks.

Aim High.

We are going to win Game 7.

Monomaniacal, elevated thoughts only.

aandbreatheme 05-09-2012 10:55 PM

IF the Capitals get past the Rangers, I really think you guys have a huge shot at taking it this year; though, you guys might want to finish on your breakaways and not take every series to 7 (it will wear you out). ;)

pga5 05-09-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atlas (Post 49525073)
Though well-meaning, this thread sucks.

Aim High.

We are going to win Game 7.

Monomaniacal, elevated thoughts only.

This.

habtastic 05-09-2012 11:08 PM

You guys have played outstanding and I'm fully cheering for you. Loving Ovi's leadership. Not a team of egos anymore. Go Caps! troll those rags.

Ward for series-winning goal!

edit: just some encouraging reminders -- after, well, you know, the first rd series against you guys in 2010, we were down 3-2 to the pens in the second rd. Won at home (by a goal) and went to the barn of the defending SC champs and laid a beating on them to win game 7. You can totally do it. You WILL totally do it.

sycamore 05-09-2012 11:37 PM

Its all win-win. They win, they advance. They lose, they still have won the respect of the Rangers and the league in general. Backstrom, Semin, Carlson, Alzner, Hendricks, Chimera, Beagle and Holtby have all blossomed into playoff warriors right before our eyes. Team at last believes in itself and its coach. McPhee will still need to prove HIMSELF and aggressively patch up their weaknesses this off-season (particularly now that Kuz won't be coming over). But the core is there and is battle tested, and will compete for a Cup for years to come.

mitchdisaster 05-10-2012 12:43 AM

One game at a time. I love this team I believe they can pull it out. Even if they lose I'd be more proud of this team than any recent team.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 05-10-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycamore (Post 49526681)
Its all win-win. They win, they advance. They lose, they still have won the respect of the Rangers and the league in general. Backstrom, Semin, Carlson, Alzner, Hendricks, Chimera, Beagle and Holtby have all blossomed into playoff warriors right before our eyes. Team at last believes in itself and its coach. McPhee will still need to prove HIMSELF and aggressively patch up their weaknesses this off-season (particularly now that Kuz won't be coming over). But the core is there and is battle tested, and will compete for a Cup for years to come.

Seriously?

Who gives a **** if they've still won the respect of the Rangers and the league?

I surely don't.

It's not a win-win. Screw that. I'll be pissed if they lose.

troyerlaw 05-10-2012 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andbreatheme (Post 49525209)
you guys might want to finish on your breakaways and not take every series to 7 (it will wear you out). ;)

Amen, brother.

There is no need for every single game to be decided by a single goal. We are getting breakaways and odd-man rushes this series. We need to bury one occasionally.

troyerlaw 05-10-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habtastic (Post 49525683)
just some encouraging reminders -- after, well, you know, the first rd series against you guys in 2010, we were down 3-2 to the pens in the second rd. Won at home (by a goal) and went to the barn of the defending SC champs and laid a beating on them to win game 7. You can totally do it. You WILL totally do it.

Love it. From your keyboard to God's ears.

troyerlaw 05-10-2012 03:10 AM

Quote:

Its all win-win. They win, they advance. They lose, they still have won the respect of the Rangers and the league in general.

I love this team, I love their resilience. But f--k that. Let's go win this thing. Why not us this year? We got to game 7 of round 2 against the Pens three years ago, and we weren't ready. Now we are ready. It's our turn. Let's do it. Let's get that first goal and then bury one of the freaking odd-man rushes which start to come our way.

I am very, very happy now that the 6.6 seconds debacle is behind us.

Not even sure we would have won tonight if we HAD finished off the Game 5 victory. This series felt destined for 7.

We are 2-0 in elimination games this year. We are steady under fire. Let's do it.

ForzaItalia 05-10-2012 06:22 AM

Not me.

I'm only proud if they win Game 7.

That will go a long way in putting some of the past demons to rest and turning a franchise corner of sorts IMO.

stanleycaps98 05-10-2012 06:32 AM

Believe.

Duke33 05-10-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 49528767)
Seriously?

Who gives a **** if they've still won the respect of the Rangers and the league?

I surely don't.

It's not a win-win. Screw that. I'll be pissed if they lose.

Agree 100%. This isn't a popularity contest. Win the series, win the Cup. Why this team is being talked about like some dreamy-eyed Cinderella is beyond me. They were a Cup contender prior to the season, underachieved for most of it and barely made the playoffs. Yeah they're battling and playing hard but hell, if it weren't for Holtby and some luck they probably don't make it past Boston.

Screw respect from the Rangers, this series should be over. I wasn't all that awed by them during the season and was not impressed at all with the way they struggled past Ottawa. They have done hardly jack vs. the Caps at 5 on 5 and were it not for the Ward debacle would probably be on summer vacation right now. I thought we'd win this one in five or six....

The results have been great so far but they still are living at the edge of a knife. There has to be a happy medium where they can play good defense and also score a little more. The Rangers still kept the puck for long stretches of the third period and they made it interesting when it shouldn't have been. Anyway the goal is the Cup, not respect. If they lose, to me it's just another failure to get past the second round.

Score some more goals dammit. I hate this one-goal crap where one bad bounce or unlucky play can ruin your season. Scoring three goals won't kill anyone.

brs03 05-10-2012 07:12 AM

They were supposed to be a 1/2-seed quality team coming in to the season. I'm not going to cut them slack for slipping down to the 7-seed.

I will say they've done more than I expected, but at times they've also done less. If they lose it'll be because they squandered chances yet again but they've also shown a stronger mental makeup than I ever would have expected from them.

I really don't know what to make of them. I feel like they're playing a way where the result is something of a coin-flip every time, even though they should have the talent to do more. But if it gets them where they need to be, who am I to argue? I won't be satisfied if it doesn't, though. They haven't earned that.

Stewie G 05-10-2012 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molseed (Post 49531773)
Agree 100%. This isn't a popularity contest. Win the series, win the Cup. Why this team is being talked about like some dreamy-eyed Cinderella is beyond me. They were a Cup contender prior to the season, underachieved for most of it and barely made the playoffs. Yeah they're battling and playing hard but hell, if it weren't for Holtby and some luck they probably don't make it past Boston.

Screw respect from the Rangers, this series should be over. I wasn't all that awed by them during the season and was not impressed at all with the way they struggled past Ottawa. They have done hardly jack vs. the Caps at 5 on 5 and were it not for the Ward debacle would probably be on summer vacation right now. I thought we'd win this one in five or six....

The results have been great so far but they still are living at the edge of a knife. There has to be a happy medium where they can play good defense and also score a little more. The Rangers still kept the puck for long stretches of the third period and they made it interesting when it shouldn't have been. Anyway the goal is the Cup, not respect. If they lose, to me it's just another failure to get past the second round.

Score some more goals dammit. I hate this one-goal crap where one bad bounce or unlucky play can ruin your season. Scoring three goals won't kill anyone.

My theory? Dale owns a couple Papa John's in the area and was getting killed with the 50% off deal.
Seriously though. I haven't had cheap pizza in a long time and my heart could use a less stressful ending, but anyone who doesn't think this will be going to overtime is crazy.

Click Here 05-10-2012 07:22 AM

Given where we are and whos left, its hard to think like this, although im certainly proud of their resiliency and commitment to defense even tho its clear they need to threaten the other defense more. But again, this rangers team is just a more consistent and less capable version of the caps, and the other 3 teams in play wouldnt last long against most conf finals teams from the last few years. This really could be the year. It SHOULD be the year

Blades of steel 05-10-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 (Post 49531391)
Believe.

This. I've said it every time and I called it after our game 5 blunder. We are winning the next two games, one down one to go.

txpd 05-10-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Its all win-win. They win, they advance. They lose, they still have won the respect of the Rangers and the league in general..

not true. you win respect in this league from winning. losing like you always have only with more bruises just earns you a better tee time.

this bunch has been a cup contender for 4 straight seasons. every playoff season since their first playoff year. this team did not enter the season or these playoffs content to just make them. its win or fail because they've used up their pass cards.

they need to win. i am certainly proud of their toughness but losing "the right way" carries no special value to me. Its still and L.

Just win the game.

txpd 05-10-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunksuperhero (Post 49532031)
and the other 3 teams in play wouldnt last long against most conf finals teams from the last few years. This really could be the year. It SHOULD be the year

this is wrong. its just incorrect. the game has evolved into this shot blocking, trapping mess and the teams you are so convinced would just dismiss them would get caught up in it like all the victims this season have been. vancouver and st louis just failed to show up v LA? no. they got pounded. it was LA winning and not BOTH the Canucks and Blues coasting.

IkeaMonkey* 05-10-2012 08:16 AM

lol @ "the respect of the Rangers and the league".

You don't play the game for respect.

You play. to win. the games.