HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   NHL 10 Years From Now (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1188901)

Grant 05-12-2012 12:43 PM

NHL 10 Years From Now

Since the lockout, it seems teams have begun to do a youth movement. The older, slower players of the pre-lockout era have been shoved aside as younger faster players have taken their place (part of this I'm sure is due to the cheaper contracts as well).

While before it seemed fairly common for a player to play past the age of 35, with how many players do we see that now? Seems like they are mostly goalies. There are few who have the required speed and skill to continue playing at that age.

My question is this. All these players who have been apart of this youth movement, the players who have taken over these roster spots, will they too be replaced by younger and faster players? Or do you think they will heavily train their speed when older thus still being able to play in the new NHL when before they may have trained upper body so they could still be strong enough to compete in the clutch and grab hockey? The average age on capgeek I think says it all for a youth movement, not a single team has an average age of over 30 with many teams in the 26.0-27.9 range meaning many of their players are just coming out of their RFA status.

Looking forward to hearing what people think.

Pengo 05-12-2012 12:59 PM

Overall teams will have better jerseys.

Mayor Bee 05-12-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant123 (Post 49610245)
Since the lockout, it seems teams have begun to do a youth movement. The older, slower players of the pre-lockout era have been shoved aside as younger faster players have taken their place (part of this I'm sure is due to the cheaper contracts as well).

While before it seemed fairly common for a player to play past the age of 35, with how many players do we see that now? Seems like they are mostly goalies. There are few who have the required speed and skill to continue playing at that age.

My question is this. All these players who have been apart of this youth movement, the players who have taken over these roster spots, will they too be replaced by younger and faster players? Or do you think they will heavily train their speed when older thus still being able to play in the new NHL when before they may have trained upper body so they could still be strong enough to compete in the clutch and grab hockey? The average age on capgeek I think says it all for a youth movement, not a single team has an average age of over 30 with many teams in the 26.0-27.9 range meaning many of their players are just coming out of their RFA status.

What's happened is that, with the implementation of the salary cap, there's been a squeeze on the "middle class" of NHL players. These are the guys who have proven to not be first-liners or first-pairing defensemen, and therefore have been replaced by younger and cheaper players (with potential)...but at the same time, they're between 26 and 33 and could still be productive in the NHL.

I firmly believe that the NHL could not only expand to 32 teams, but both new teams could be competitive in a short period of time by acquiring players like these off the free agent market.

(In before anyone else starts prattling on about "talent dilution" or "why certain teams need to go away")

8spokesontheB 05-12-2012 01:07 PM

I think, in a way, you've answered your own question. All of sports is a "young man's game" (well, the 5 majors), and I'm pretty sure that ten years from now not a single team will have an average age of over 30, either.

oilersfan11 05-12-2012 01:09 PM

The Oilers will have set a remarkable record with 13 straight first overall picks.:laugh:

RaskY 05-12-2012 01:32 PM

In 10 years, 20 year olds will be considered veterans :sarcasm:

Bruise Bros 2426 05-12-2012 04:19 PM

Players 35 years or older:

Nicklas Lidstrom (42)
Teemu Selanne (41)
Martin Brodeur (40)
Jaromir Jagr (40)
Ray Whitney (40)
Sean O'Donnell (40)
Daniel Alfredsson (39)
Johan Hedberg (39)
John Madden (39)
Tomas Holmstrom (39)
Brian Rolston (39)
Mike Knuble (39)
Nikolai Khabibulin (39)
Sergei Gonchar (38)
Tim Thomas (38)
Roman Hamrlik (38)
Andrew Brunette (38)
Steve Staios (38)
Jason Blake (38)
Adrian Aucoin (38)
Jaroslav Spacek (38)
Chris Pronger (37)
Todd Bertuzzi (37)
Jay Pandolfo (37)
Jason Arnott (37)
Hal Gill (37)
Steve Sullivan (37)
Andy Sutton (37)
Jamal Mayers (37)
Saku Koivu (37)
Vinny Prospal (37)
Scott Nichol (37)
Sami Salo (37)
Kimmo Timmonen (37)
Jody Shelley (36)
Chris Mason (36)
Jamie Langenbrunner (36)
Milan Hejduk (36)
Bryce Salvador (36)
Andreas Lilja (36)
Brendan Morrison (36)
Marty Turco (36)
Martin St. Louis (36)
Jeff Halpern (36)
Ty Conklin (36)
Patrik Elias (36)
Evgeni Nabokov (36)
Francis Bouillon (36)
Ed Jovanovski (35)
Miikka Kiprusoff (35)
Pavel Kubina (35)
Brian Boucher (35)
Dan Boyle (35)
Michal Handzus (35)
Radek Martinek (35)
Radek Dvorak (35)
Craig Adams (35)
Tomas Vokoun (35)
Stephane Robidas (35)
Petr Sykora (35)
Daymond langkow (35)
Marek Zidlicky (35)
Brett Clark (35)
Mark Eaton (35)
Sheldon Souray (35)
Shane Doan (35)
Richard Park (35)
Mikael Samuelsson (35)
Eric Boulton (35)
Jose Theodore (35)
Brent Johnson (35)
Willie Mitchell (35)
Filip Kuba (35)
Matt Cullen (35)
Mathieu Darche (35)
Marty Reasoner (35)
Zdeno Chara (35)

There are still guys that battle and grind up until their late 30s/early 40s, but I think you're right, it isn't as common as it was before the lockout. Some of these guys may retire this offseason (Holmstrom, Selanne, Lidstrom, O'Donnell).

Ignatius 05-14-2012 10:44 AM

NHL 10 will still be considered a good game years from now.

Giggling Goose 05-14-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignatius (Post 49680851)
NHL 10 will still be considered a good game years from now.

That was actually the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title.:laugh:

Toastman 05-14-2012 01:28 PM

Scott Gomez will still suck

questhockey 05-14-2012 02:08 PM

Nets will be bigger
Red line will be back, then gone.
Auto icing will happen
Goalie trapezoid will become bit bigger.
Cycling puck will lead to 200 more concussions, and career ending injuries as players have their backs to play, and heads down.
Gary Bettman will still be a ******. There will be a team in Quebec, Hamilton, Vegas, + 1 more SW ONT.
Don Cherry will still be hitting Ron Maclean with hard plastic equipment that is causing major injuries, then getting oxygen from his mask to go get air for his next rant.
Head shots will be 100% banned.
CAP will be $85 million, with option to go over with huge penalties, so Leafs will be able to overpay UFA's to at least get them to think of playing for them.
MacDonalds wil celebtrate its 1,000,000 customer who died from their hear stopping food.
3 canadian teams will win cups, 2 Oilers, 1 Winnipeg
Detroit will still be a contender as players take less money, to play for well run organization.
Roberto Luongo will still have 75 years left...
RNH will beat Sittlers 10 point game night, Gretzky's 50 goals in 39 games.
Carrie Underwood will still be hot, and she will be my wife...sweet

LegnaRouy 05-14-2012 02:43 PM

2pac's Hologram will perform at the 2022 all-star game.

Mory Schneideur* 05-14-2012 03:06 PM

In before someone posts that funny video with hover skates and playing on a beach in Hawaii. Also, projection visors and helmets with mics and walkie talkies lol.

Mory Schneideur* 05-14-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegnaRouy (Post 49689889)
2pac's Hologram will perform at the 2022 all-star game.

Brodeur, Roy, Lemieux & Gretzky holograms will Ice a team & play vs NHL flesh & blood stars in the 2022 NHL All Star Game in Hong Kong, China!

HalbertGil* 05-14-2012 03:16 PM

Ryan Murray GOAT

startainfection 05-14-2012 03:17 PM

chris chelios will come out of retirement

edit
the islanders and oilers will meet in the stanley cup finals

Schalkenullvier* 05-14-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pengo (Post 49610673)
Overall teams will have better jerseys.

that could be the case, but if it happens people will still say that the old ones were better, just like it always is.

Toastman 05-14-2012 03:22 PM

Rick Dipietro will still be getting paid

Mory Schneideur* 05-14-2012 03:29 PM

To reduce problems stemming from travel, the NHL will realign into 1 conference, where teams will play against holograms of other teams. The NHLPA will shoot it down after 3 seasons because the distance the players have to travel from home to the rink will be to great and taxing on the players.

A team will finally be named after a corporate sponsor: say hello to the Hamilton Black Berries & the Quebec eBayeurs.

Aquin001 on Ice 05-14-2012 03:32 PM

Teemu Selanne will have just signed a 1-year $4 million deal.

J Murda 05-14-2012 03:38 PM

In 10 years from now, all the jumbo trons are going to be so awesome.

Mory Schneideur* 05-14-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant123 (Post 49610245)

Serious reply:

Yes I've seen the trend for younger players who at a different style. The old guard was in a sense pushed out, but unless the NHL makes major changes like it did in 2005, that won't happen again.

The NHL now is a totally different game/league from 2004 and before that. So unless the game makes serious changes like last time, I don't see something like that happening.

The league has done a great job & it's current form is very exciting. They are making the right moves & I hope they keep doing that.

startainfection 05-14-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toastman (Post 49691619)
Rick Dipietro will still be getting paid

no he wont

LegnaRouy 05-14-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnyrocket (Post 49691077)
Brodeur, Roy, Lemieux & Gretzky holograms will Ice a team & play vs NHL flesh & blood stars in the 2022 NHL All Star Game in Hong Kong, China!

This. In order to avoid injuries, the NHL will now have holograms of every player and teams will just ice Holograms.

The world's greatest hacker will then proceed to hack into the system, changing all the hologramed player's overall rating to 99 on his favorite team allowing The Canucks to finally win the Stanley Cup. Vancouver fans will proceed to have a riot all across the province but thankfully, we're much smarter now. Instead of calling hundreds of police officer wasting lots of taxpayer's money, we will just start calling people's moms.

Marvelous Manked 05-14-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by startainfection (Post 49692453)
no he wont

What if he gets bought out?