HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Help with helmet size! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1189069)

Penguins 05-12-2012 08:06 PM

Help with helmet size!
 
There are no hockey shops around me and thus I need to order a hockey helmet online. I was looking at the Bauer 9900. I measured my head to be 22 in. Looking at the sizing chart for this helmet it showed this:

Size Circumference (in)
Small 20.4" - 22.5"
Medium 22" - 23.6"

So basically Im towards the high end of the small one, and at the bottom of the medium. Is there a standard "rule" that says if you are in between helmet sizes go with the smaller/larger?

Thanks!

AIREAYE 05-12-2012 09:48 PM

No, you really really need to try them. Every helmet in Bauer's line fits differently from each other, same with all the other helmets form every other brand. The 11K fits differently than the 7K, 5K and 4K and they all fit differently from each other. The 9900 is different than the 8500, 7500, 5100, 4500, 2100 etc.etc. Same goes with CCM and Easton.

Helmet and skates are the two items that you must try on in person. No one on here should say that you should fit into one size or the other...or even into that helmet all together.

Scarecrow Boat 05-13-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 49630621)
Helmet and skates are the two items that you must try on in person. No one on here should say that you should fit into one size or the other...or even into that helmet all together.

Aren't they adjustable? I had the same helmet from age 12 to 16, just making slight adjustments.

qmechanic 05-13-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Thilander (Post 49646051)
Aren't they adjustable? I had the same helmet from age 12 to 16, just making slight adjustments.

I've only used Bauer helmets, but for the more expensive models in the line, you can adjust the length of the helmet. However, not the width.

Penguins, it's better to go with the smaller helmet if you're in between sizes, for safety reasons. But it might be painful. I frequently get headaches from my helmet because it's a little small. Not during games, but during practices which last longer than an hour. It does get better towards the middle of the season when I've been wearing the helmet more.

What helmets in what sizes have you worn in the past?

TrueBlue86 05-13-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qmechanic (Post 49649825)
I've only used Bauer helmets, but for the more expensive models in the line, you can adjust the length of the helmet. However, not the width.

Penguins, it's better to go with the smaller helmet if you're in between sizes, for safety reasons. But it might be painful. I frequently get headaches from my helmet because it's a little small. Not during games, but during practices which last longer than an hour. It does get better towards the middle of the season when I've been wearing the helmet more.

What helmets in what sizes have you worn in the past?

you can adjust both with the 9900 helmet

it's a great helmet but yea you should try it because each model of bauer helmet fits slightly different
it's hard to know which one is best for the shape of your head

Hank4Hart 05-13-2012 05:06 PM

helmets dont really adjust width wise, they only adjust length wise.. so you really have to find one that fits your temple

AIREAYE 05-13-2012 08:14 PM

Depth too, no helmet can currently adjust for depth. You can't adjust the width in the 9900, if anything the adjustment tabs are micro; not enough to make too narrow suddenly just right.

Hank4Hart 05-14-2012 02:43 AM

personally, i find the old school jofa helmets (390 or 290... or the model selanne wears cant remember the number) to be the best, you can adjust them depth wise and length wise... and also they are pretty bendy around the temple/ear area so they give you a snug fit without hurting your temples.

AND the jofa helmets use the same foam that you see in the croc sandals.. these type of foam lasts you pretty much forever and ever so you never have to buy a new helmet, unlike the new styrofoam garbage that the major companies like bauer and reebok pump out now, you have to replace those helmets after one major impact cause they are no good afterwards.

you can get one of those jofa helmets on ebay for relatively cheap. trust me you wont go wrong with them, they fit almost everyone and they are seriously the best long lasting helmets i have ever had.

edit: i have the 298 (goalie version of 290) and the 390 and i can confirm they adjust depth wise... i cant confirm for the 290 though.

Hank4Hart 05-14-2012 02:45 AM

like this guy here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jofa-Black-3...#ht_500wt_1413

Jarick 05-14-2012 06:50 AM

Any jofa helmet would have expired certification. I would head to the shop and try them on.

Until last year most helmets only adjusted front to back and had a fixed width and depth. Now many are sizing like bike helmets but still have fixed depth and shape. Gotta try them on.

hockeymass 05-14-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank4Hart (Post 49674749)
personally, i find the old school jofa helmets (390 or 290... or the model selanne wears cant remember the number) to be the best, you can adjust them depth wise and length wise... and also they are pretty bendy around the temple/ear area so they give you a snug fit without hurting your temples.

AND the jofa helmets use the same foam that you see in the croc sandals.. these type of foam lasts you pretty much forever and ever so you never have to buy a new helmet, unlike the new styrofoam garbage that the major companies like bauer and reebok pump out now, you have to replace those helmets after one major impact cause they are no good afterwards.

you can get one of those jofa helmets on ebay for relatively cheap. trust me you wont go wrong with them, they fit almost everyone and they are seriously the best long lasting helmets i have ever had.

edit: i have the 298 (goalie version of 290) and the 390 and i can confirm they adjust depth wise... i cant confirm for the 290 though.

There's really just a ton of misinformation in this post.

A) EPP is not styrofoam garbage.
B) The foam in Jofa helmets is not the same as Crocs (not that that would make any difference with regards to head protection...)
C) You don't have to replace an EPP helmet after one major impact, unless it is significant enough to damage the helmet, in which case you would have to replace any helmet.
D) Jofa helmets are old and would be ineligible for use in any league or facility that requires players to wear certified helmets on the ice.

It's great that you like them, but please don't spread misinformation in order to try and make your point.

AIREAYE 05-14-2012 09:17 AM

hockeymass nailed it as usual.

However I would comment that it would be ADVISABLE to replace any helmet after any major impact. EPP is designed to withstand more devastating impacts (though again, not concussion proof) while VN (which is what I'm guessing this Jofa helmet has) is generally better for successive smaller impacts. Any major impact could breakdown the EPP or VN in any helmet and even create micro tears in the construction. I suppose if peace of mind is desired, a helmet should be replaced under those circumstances. I would always recommend it.

Hank4Hart 05-14-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeymass (Post 49676369)
There's really just a ton of misinformation in this post.

A) EPP is not styrofoam garbage.
B) The foam in Jofa helmets is not the same as Crocs (not that that would make any difference with regards to head protection...)
C) You don't have to replace an EPP helmet after one major impact, unless it is significant enough to damage the helmet, in which case you would have to replace any helmet.
D) Jofa helmets are old and would be ineligible for use in any league or facility that requires players to wear certified helmets on the ice.

It's great that you like them, but please don't spread misinformation in order to try and make your point.

a) ok you got me on the EPP foam. i didnt know there was a difference between EPS and EPP, they felt like styrofoam to me so thats what I assumed they were...

b) AIREAYE brought up VN foam, those are the rubatex stuff you find in cooper/ccm helmets in the 90's, those things harden with sweat and overtime, so they are most definitely not safe anymore for hockey. in regards to jofa, as far as i know the foam in the jofa helmets are known as eva foam, which is the same stuff they make the crocs with. I looked this up too and I am quite certain of this. if you can find me a link that proves me wrong please do... i certainly wasn't trying to talk out of my as* here.

c) i have seen countless number of people having to replace their EPP helmets over the last 6 to 7 years since they started coming out. I dont know why but the epp helmets fall apart after 2 or 3 years, i have 3 broken ones sitting at home right now. It might not have anything to do with the foam itself but rather companies nowadays just like to make products that easily break so you'd have to replace them. on the other hand, I have never seen anyone have to replace their Jofa's, myself included, and I take slap shots off that thing in goal all the time! the foam is still in great shape after using it for 10 years (and i bought mine used!).

eva foams are more durable and longer lasting, the softer type foam are much better designed for minor blows to the head over and over again, and thats because they have a memory foam like property. this is the same for the VN foam as well until they become hard like a rock.

EPP foam on the other hand are designed against a single gigantic impact, at which point the foam with crush/disintegrate itself to protect the player, but at the same time making it unusable in the future. the outer plastic might be in tact but the foam inside might have become useless. its the same logic with a bike helmet.

Eva/VN/EPP foams all have their pros and cons. everyone probably have different needs, but imo unless you are in the pro's, eva foam is the way to go because you are not going fast enough for that gigantic impact to ever happen to you. its debatable which foams are better overall. but its clear to me that jofa helmets as a whole last much longer than the new helmets, as evidence by my 10 year jofa compared to my 3 separate new modern day helmets that have fallen apart at home.


d) so? doesn't mean you can't use them for rec.

I was wrong about some of the info, I apologize for that I should have checked first. Nonetheless, it doesn't change my opinion about the newer helmets, I feel exponentially safer in my Jofa (in goal or playing out).

hockeymass 05-14-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank4Hart (Post 49703141)
a) ok you got me on the EPP foam. i didnt know there was a difference between EPS and EPP, they felt like styrofoam to me so thats what I assumed they were...

b) AIREAYE brought up VN foam, those are the rubatex stuff you find in cooper/ccm helmets in the 90's, those things harden with sweat and overtime, so they are most definitely not safe anymore for hockey. in regards to jofa, as far as i know the foam in the jofa helmets are known as eva foam, which is the same stuff they make the crocs with. I looked this up too and I am quite certain of this. if you can find me a link that proves me wrong please do... i certainly wasn't trying to talk out of my as* here.

c) i have seen countless number of people having to replace their EPP helmets over the last 6 to 7 years since they started coming out. I dont know why but the epp helmets fall apart after 2 or 3 years, i have 3 broken ones sitting at home right now. It might not have anything to do with the foam itself but rather companies nowadays just like to make products that easily break so you'd have to replace them. on the other hand, I have never seen anyone have to replace their Jofa's, myself included, and I take slap shots off that thing in goal all the time! the foam is still in great shape after using it for 10 years (and i bought mine used!).

eva foams are more durable and longer lasting, the softer type foam are much better designed for minor blows to the head over and over again, and thats because they have a memory foam like property. this is the same for the VN foam as well until they become hard like a rock.

EPP foam on the other hand are designed against a single gigantic impact, at which point the foam with crush/disintegrate itself to protect the player, but at the same time making it unusable in the future. the outer plastic might be in tact but the foam inside might have become useless. its the same logic with a bike helmet.

Eva/VN/EPP foams all have their pros and cons. everyone probably have different needs, but imo unless you are in the pro's, eva foam is the way to go because you are not going fast enough for that gigantic impact to ever happen to you. its debatable which foams are better overall. but its clear to me that jofa helmets as a whole last much longer than the new helmets, as evidence by my 10 year jofa compared to my 3 separate new modern day helmets that have fallen apart at home.


d) so? doesn't mean you can't use them for rec.

I was wrong about some of the info, I apologize for that I should have checked first. Nonetheless, it doesn't change my opinion about the newer helmets, I feel exponentially safer in my Jofa (in goal or playing out).

I have many EPP helmets that have been kicking around for years and years and are just fine. It's great for you that you like the Jofas, but you're jumping to unfounded conclusions and decrying 10-15 years of technological advances as garbage which is just ridiculous. EPP vs. VN vs. EVA is a matter of opinion, not a matter of fact, and while EVA is better in your opinion, there are others who prefer EPP or VN foams. And none of this really has anything to do with the OP, who is considering new Bauer helmets.

AIREAYE 05-14-2012 09:54 PM

If EVA is used in Crocs and in helmets, you can be pretty certain that they are a different blend.

Stickmata 05-15-2012 12:01 PM

By the way, if you're like me and have a narrow head and find that helmets fit you length wise but have gaps on the side, my advice is to buy some bicycle helmet padding strips and gorilla glue them in on the sides. Works great and makes the helmet nice and snug. You can find different thickness of that padding, so you can customize it to your head shape. I do this on all my helmets.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.