HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   If NJD wins the cup (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1189259)

KEEROLE Vatanen 05-13-2012 02:21 AM

If NJD wins the cup

Do you think Marty will, or should retire?
He would go out as a 4 time champion, and the all time winningest goalie in NHL history.

You can't write a better ending, can you?

WPGNYRFan 05-13-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OccupySheen (Post 49638005)
Do you think Marty will, or should retire?
He would go out as a 4 time champion, and the all time winningest goalie in NHL history.

You can't write a better ending, can you?

/vomit

lbrowne 05-13-2012 02:25 AM

They won't :D

Rhodes 81 05-13-2012 02:26 AM

should, maybe.

would, probably not.

TheUnseenHand 05-13-2012 02:26 AM

I'd hope he'd stay around for another season and split time with one of the young prospect goalies. I think Wedgewood could learn some things from Marty about puckhandling during a game that couldn't be properly conveyed during a practice.

Should he retire? That's totally up to him. It will be sad if he does, but I would never begrudge him for it.

Colt45Blast 05-13-2012 02:28 AM

It would be a great ending but considering the alimony payments he has to make, It is possible he wants to play for as long as he can and get that big money possible so the court ordered payments don't dig into any saving accounts he has.

Quote:

The court ruled that Brodeur must pay his former wife $500,000 a year until 2020, the year his youngest child will graduate from high school.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3997788

thestonedkoala 05-13-2012 02:31 AM

Devils would be in a bind; be like Colorado after Roy retired or Montreal after Roy left. Hard to replace a guy like Brodeur.

Emperoreddy 05-13-2012 02:38 AM

It is a legit question.

I think he should, best to ride out on top and leave gracefully.

With all he has said though I really doubt he will, he really seems to want to play one more. I'm not really against the idea, let him have his victory lap year, pile up a few more wins, etc.

VinnyC 05-13-2012 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AP (Post 49638103)
It would be a great ending but considering the alimony payments he has to make, It is possible he wants to play for as long as he can and get that big money possible so the court ordered payments don't dig into any saving accounts he has.

At first I was like "$500K a year? Holy ****", but then I read about the affair story... uh... what the hell, man. No wonder I forgot about the story pretty quickly when it came out at first.

jaems 05-13-2012 03:05 AM

Quote:

"In addition to alimony, DuBois was awarded $132,000 in annual child support and more than $9 million in other assets."

Yikes.

Everlasting 05-13-2012 03:10 AM

Quote:

Only in america lol.

Embryo* 05-13-2012 03:12 AM

No, he wouldn't retire. He already said numerous times he thinks he has a year or two left. He will play until he's 50 if the Devils give him a contract.

Scottyk9 05-13-2012 03:25 AM

Marty as he said is going to keep playing until he stops having fun playing.

His ego isn't so big that he'll decide to retire just because he won his 4th cup.

95% chance he's back next season. Only way he won't be is if the Devils don't want him back. He'd rather retire than play anywhere else.

MadDevil 05-13-2012 03:35 AM

No Brodeur thread is complete without somebody bringing up his past marital problems.

Anyway, I think he'll be back next year, regardless of how the rest of the playoffs go.

KEEROLE Vatanen 05-13-2012 03:52 AM

Pro athletes should never get married, period

Todds Chiropractory 05-13-2012 04:03 AM

I would if I was in his shoes. 40 Years old, get to retire on top. If he stayed around for one more season it would likely just end in a let down after the cup win. Would be a great way to go out as a champion.

Aquiace 05-13-2012 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo (Post 49638137)
Devils would be in a bind; be like Colorado after Roy retired or Montreal after Roy left. Hard to replace a guy like Brodeur.

Hard to replace a pre-2007 Brodeur. It's easier to replace him every year. There is a plethora of high quality goal tenders available, both young and veteran.

The real thing I see with NJ is getting one that fits their system. Brodeur's style basically defined how NJ approached defense for the last 20 years. Either they'll have to change it up or find one that thrives in the same circumstances.

Bourne Endeavor 05-13-2012 07:06 AM

Quote:

And this is why you need prenups these days. Gotta love the nonsense that is alimony. Anyhow, while I initially thought he might were the Devils to win the cup. I could see him sticking around for another season or two if New Jersey cannot find a replacement.

proxomat 05-13-2012 07:09 AM

.....won't happen. Even if they win against the Rangers.....

They had 2 easy opponents so far.
Flyers had no D and G and against the Panthers, they were just lucky.

Rob Nieds work ethic 05-13-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proxomat (Post 49639609)

...so back on topic again, I think Marty will play another year even if we win it this year.

proxomat 05-13-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Nieds work ethic (Post 49639613)
...so back on topic again, I think Marty will play another year even if we win it this year.

....won't happen......Devils won't win the cup this season!

Devils are overrated.

MartyForVezina 05-13-2012 07:34 AM

Doubt he will retire, but hope he doesn't cost us over $2.5 mil per year. I love the guy, but I just dont think he will be tough to replace at this point with NHL ready goalies being a dime a dozen.

TheUnseenHand 05-13-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquiace (Post 49639301)
Hard to replace a pre-2007 Brodeur. It's easier to replace him every year. There is a plethora of high quality goal tenders available, both young and veteran.

The real thing I see with NJ is getting one that fits their system. Brodeur's style basically defined how NJ approached defense for the last 20 years. Either they'll have to change it up or find one that thrives in the same circumstances.

The hardest part about replacing Marty at this point would be adjusting to the lack of puckhandling ability. That said, the Devils were fine in the games in which Hedberg played and he's, well, God awful at handling the puck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by proxomat (Post 49639609)

Quote:

Originally Posted by proxomat (Post 49639651)
....won't happen......Devils won't win the cup this season!

Devils are overrated.

I like these two posts. They're somehow comforting, whether sarcastic or not.

MartyForVezina 05-13-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquiace (Post 49639301)

First part made sense....second part is incoherent drivel.

habdynasty 05-13-2012 07:44 AM

Wins the cup then retires, goes out the greatest.