HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Del Zotto's emergence (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1189359)

GWOW 05-13-2012 10:59 AM

Del Zotto's emergence

Since 2004, only four defensemen have led the postseason in defensemen scoring:

2004 -- Boyle
2006 -- Pronger
2007 -- Lidstrom
2008 -- Lidstrom
2009 -- Kronwall
2010 -- Pronger
2011 -- Boyle

As of today, Del Zotto leads all NHL defensemen in playoff scoring. There are still two rounds left, and he's played more games than most, but it's still a testament to the organization for being patient with him after he had a really bad 1.5 year stretch.

Gotta be patient with these kids. There prime is usually between 24-29. MDZ is only 21.

evilllempire* 05-13-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by German Way of War (Post 49644249)

2004 -- Boyle
2006 -- Pronger
2007 -- Lidstrom
2008 -- Lidstrom
2009 -- Kronwall
2010 -- Pronger
2011 -- Boyle

As of today, Del Zotto leads all NHL defensemen in playoff scoring. There are still two rounds left, and he's played more games than most, but it's still a testament to the organization for being patient with him after he had a really bad 1.5 year stretch.

Gotta be patient with these kids. There prime is usually between 24-29. MDZ is only 21.

He still shoots wide more than not. Misses the net way WAY too much. Either that or his shot is blocked. He also needs to make the play at the point better when he gets the puck. Too many times the puck hops over his stick. Yea he scored last night......but he still needs to improve alot. He does have the skill and talent though, as well as time on his side. But we kinds need him to mature as a player sooner/faster than later :naughty:

BigDaddyNYR 05-13-2012 11:12 AM

Imagine his point total if he could actually put the puck on net.

evilllempire* 05-13-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR (Post 49644663)
Imagine his point total if he could actually put the puck on net.

he'd be a 60+ point defenseman. He does have the skills to develop into a "possible Norris Trophy Type" if he continues to improve the way we project his ceiling to be.

N9Y4R 05-13-2012 11:17 AM

This is very skewed, MDZ has played 3-5 more games than any Dman within 2 pts of him, except Girardi who is tied for 2nd. MDZ is still a pup, he has played well for the most part and made a terrific read last night for the game winner, he still has a lot to learn and should only continue to improve over the next few yrs.

Blue Seat Spartan 05-13-2012 11:21 AM

MDZ's outlet passing ability and his willingness to be involved physically reminds me a tiny bit of Raymond Bourque... Now if he can improve his shot accuracy on the PP and master the nuances of positioning, we could have a second Norris Trophy contender when Del Zotto hits his prime. (Our first potential Norris candidate is that McD from WI who can flat-out skate like Mark Howe...)

Kershaw 05-13-2012 11:23 AM

He is still a very frustrating player. Points totals do not tell the whole thing, he is still very inconsistent and at time a bad decision maker. I cringe when he's behind the net battling it out with forwards for loose pucks. Of course, it doesn't help when Stu Bickel is his defense partner.

Vitto79 05-13-2012 11:30 AM

DZ has been great. yea he can be frustrating at times but hes the only true offensive Dman

McDonaugh, Girardi, Staal, Del Zotto, Erixon ,Stralman next yr. McIlrath on the way.

just beauty. Hope Sauer can come back to make that even better of course

Stugots 05-13-2012 11:33 AM

Hopefully he can improve his skating. His speed is a huge weakness in his game.

evilllempire* 05-13-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kershaw (Post 49645041)
He is still a very frustrating player. Points totals do not tell the whole thing, he is still very inconsistent and at time a bad decision maker. I cringe when he's behind the net battling it out with forwards for loose pucks. Of course, it doesn't help when Stu Bickel is his defense partner.

I cringe even more when he's at the Left Point to start our Power Play. He never seems to be able to keep the play alive......on top of Missing the Net by 5 Feet everytime he shoots the puck :rant:

JCrusher* 05-13-2012 11:52 AM

DZ has a tough time in the playoffs but last game he stepped up. Hopefully this is the start of him having a good string of games

Blueshirt Believer 05-13-2012 12:07 PM

He will never have a bomb from the point. Its just not who he is. He has solid wrister if he has the ability to sneak into the slot. He is a smart offensive player who is still developing in his position.

I think if he can get a triggerman to play with on his off point he will be a TON more effective.

Blueshirt Believer 05-13-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stugots (Post 49645381)
Hopefully he can improve his skating. His speed is a huge weakness in his game.

His speed and acceleration could use some work, but he has very good agility and is a VERY good lateral skater(probably the most important part of skating for an O-Dman).

He also kinda panics with the puck and doesn't seem comfortable at times. But that will improve as he gets older.

RangerBoy 05-13-2012 12:17 PM

The Rangers will be saving their cap space for DZ and McD. It will cost $3.5M per to re-sign both of them. DZ will be a group II this summer with no arb rights. It will cost the Rangers $2.5M-$3M per to sign him to a 2 year deal the Rangers like to use with a player not eligible for salary arb. More for a longer term deal. McD is a group II with arb rights next summer.

BlueshirtBlitz 05-13-2012 12:22 PM

You're right. MDZ is twenty one years old. I don't think people realize that sometimes. If he was on another team without such a good blueline he would be getting hyped as the next great thing. Kid is really good and is only going to continue getting better. Unfathomable how people jump on him. Del Weenie? Del Zaster? Del Stud.

Inferno 05-13-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by German Way of War (Post 49644249)

2004 -- Boyle
2006 -- Pronger
2007 -- Lidstrom
2008 -- Lidstrom
2009 -- Kronwall
2010 -- Pronger
2011 -- Boyle

As of today, Del Zotto leads all NHL defensemen in playoff scoring.
There are still two rounds left, and he's played more games than most, but it's still a testament to the organization for being patient with him after he had a really bad 1.5 year stretch.

he may lead all defenseman in scoring, but youre being sorta disingenuous the way youve phrased this...first you say...there are only these players to lead the NHL in playoff scoring, then you say hes leading the defenseman in scoring....true, hes leading the defenseman in scoring, but hes nowhere near close to being the leading point scorer in the league...right now there are 9 players who are active in the playoffs with at least as many points as he has.

if MDZ ends up leading the league in scoring after these playoffs, we will have coasted to a stanley cup championship...i wouldnt hold my breath on that (the coasting part)

GWOW 05-13-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno (Post 49653573)
he may lead all defenseman in scoring, but youre being sorta disingenuous the way youve phrased this...first you say...there are only these players to lead the NHL in playoff scoring, then you say hes leading the defenseman in scoring....true, hes leading the defenseman in scoring, but hes nowhere near close to being the leading point scorer in the league...right now there are 9 players who are active in the playoffs with at least as many points as he has.

if MDZ ends up leading the league in scoring after these playoffs, we will have coasted to a stanley cup championship...i wouldnt hold my breath on that (the coasting part)

Never said overall playoff scoring. Said "defenseman playoff scoring" in the first sentence. In other words, the top point-getter among defensemen in the playoffs.

The Del Zotto bashers are a funny breed. Shooting wide is a fixable problem.

He's still 21.

GWOW 05-13-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilllempire (Post 49645839)
I cringe even more when he's at the Left Point to start our Power Play. He never seems to be able to keep the play alive......on top of Missing the Net by 5 Feet everytime he shoots the puck :rant:

He doesnt QB the PP, though. Richards QB's the power play. Richards has tutored DZ all season long. DZ is still young, to the point where he'll acquiesce to a veteran 99 times out of 100.

I dont know what people expect out of the power play. The three forwards down low dont stand in front of the net. MDZ doesnt shoot because it'll be a clean shot the goalie sees with the rebounds going to the PK'ers.

GWOW 05-13-2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kershaw (Post 49645041)

Name me one Ranger this postseason who hasnt made poor decisions.

NYR Sting 05-13-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by German Way of War (Post 49653941)
Never said overall playoff scoring. Said "defenseman playoff scoring" in the first sentence. In other words, the top point-getter among defensemen in the playoffs.

He's still 21.

Then how come Girardi, at 28, still can't hit the net for his life? Mind you, I'm not saying Del Zotto won't get better at it, but plenty of defensemen never get over that issue.

Del Zotto has had a real nice season, and become much more responsible defensively. I hope to see him continue to progress offensively, and he should because he's so young, but I think his offensive contributions this season have been slightly overblown. I want to see him create more offense on the rush and in transition with his passing.

Inferno 05-13-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by German Way of War (Post 49653941)

He's still 21.

ok, i misunderstood you...so basically youre trying to put MDZ in the company of those players for leading the playoffs in scoring by defenseman? those players led the playoffs in scoring for defneseman not just for all players, right?

I didnt bother to check the stats.

If thats the case, id say....eehhhhh...only because the leading scorers are always going to be playing on the best teams (generally) since they play the most games. Playoffs are too difficult to make generalizations..you cant normalize the stats to points per game because a team that gets swept in 4 but has 4 great games by 1 defenseman shouldnt mitigate a guy who plays consistent throughout a deep playoff run.

in short, i dont know how much stock i put in the stat.

I think MDZ has played very well these playoffs, and thats enough for me.

Cheers for clarifying though...was confused.

eco's bones 05-13-2012 04:10 PM

Del Zotto has been a trooper as far as I'm concerned. He's reestablished himself. He's worked hard on his defense and considering the low amount of goals we've scored in the playoffs so far--8 points from a defenseman ain't nothing to sneeze at. He had 8 hits last night by the way and for this being his first playoff experience I have to say he's not been a wallflower. That series winning goal started with him belting Ovechkin and then taking off for the other recognizing his check was flat on his ass. Good play all around.

I might mention something about Gaborik. Not all that evident against Ottawa 3 points in 7 games and not a lot of shots. He was a point a game player against the Caps though--3 goals and 4 assists in this series--so he seems to be back on track and he's a very important player for us if we're going to have a chance to go all the way.

GWOW 05-13-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR Sting (Post 49654185)
Then how come Girardi, at 28, still can't hit the net for his life? Mind you, I'm not saying Del Zotto won't get better at it, but plenty of defensemen never get over that issue.

Del Zotto has had a real nice season, and become much more responsible defensively. I hope to see him continue to progress offensively, and he should because he's so young, but I think his offensive contributions this season have been slightly overblown. I want to see him create more offense on the rush and in transition with his passing.

Staal also had the same issue, and he's improved.

I dont understand how is offense is overblown. He was 18th in defensemen scoring. He was tied for 16th in goals.

For the record, Del Zotto was 6th among NHL defensemen in shooting pct.

He was 87th in Missed shots.

Weber's credited with 230 shots, missed 105
Pieterangelo's credited with 202, missed 114
Karlsson's credited with 261, missed 111
Byfuglien's credited with 223, missed 128

MDZ is credited with 133 shots, missed 42

GWOW 05-13-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno (Post 49654445)
ok, i misunderstood you...so basically youre trying to put MDZ in the company of those players for leading the playoffs in scoring by defenseman? those players led the playoffs in scoring for defneseman not just for all players, right?

I didnt bother to check the stats.

If thats the case, id say....eehhhhh...only because the leading scorers are always going to be playing on the best teams (generally) since they play the most games. Playoffs are too difficult to make generalizations..you cant normalize the stats to points per game because a team that gets swept in 4 but has 4 great games by 1 defenseman shouldnt mitigate a guy who plays consistent throughout a deep playoff run.

in short, i dont know how much stock i put in the stat.

I think MDZ has played very well these playoffs, and thats enough for me.

Cheers for clarifying though...was confused.

The stock you should put into the stat is that all of the above is over 25, sometimes 30 when they did so.

Kane One 05-13-2012 04:26 PM

How did only four defensemen lead the postseason in scoring? That doesn't make sense. :laugh: