HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Need to defend myself (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1189439)

SCritical 05-13-2012 01:02 PM

Need to defend myself

So I play in a non contact womens league, but I seem to have gotten on the wrong side of a particular player.

This woman is best described as a brick ****house on skates - at least 200 pounds - and plays a D. Everytime we're on the ice together, somehow she will get behind me and pound me in the numbers, and down I go. If we meet in front of the net, I get leveled - then again when I try to get up, until they've cleared the puck. I've practically got indents on my back from her stick

She is rough with everyone but I think - and my teammates and coach agree - that she's going after me in particular. And no, the refs don't care. They won't call a thing against their home team.

So, what do HF? I want to stand my ground but I don't want to hurt her or get too many stupid penalty minutes.

rinkrat22 05-13-2012 01:31 PM

smaller players have to use their sticks to defend themselves. quick little slashes and cross checks where there isn't padding usually will stop this kind of behaviour. just like any bully you have to show her that you won't take her ****.
slash the top of her foot or her ankle. ( use the heel of the blade and only swing it 4-6"s so it doesn't stand out.)
short little jab like cross checks to the arm between the elbow pad and the shoulder pads also will get her attention.
now understand just doing this one time isn't going to stop her, you are going to have to just stick with it.

BarberioTheBarbarian 05-13-2012 01:46 PM

There's a small gap between the glove and elbow pads, hit her there with slashes. Cross checks to the chest don't hurt either.

qmechanic 05-13-2012 01:49 PM

That sounds really bad. I've never experienced anything that extreme. Have you said anything to her? Do you have a really big or intimidating teammate who can help you out? Maybe she would react differently if she knew your entire team was behind you.

Marotte Marauder 05-13-2012 01:53 PM

In front of the net I'd place a nice buttend under the chincup and tell her there's plenty more of that if she wants.

noobman 05-13-2012 01:58 PM

If you're in front of the net and getting gooned just get behind her and give her a nice crosscheck. There's usually a gap between the back of the shoulder pads and the top of the pants, so get your stick in there and press down on the spine. Hurts like a mofo. If you want, you can also try jamming the toe of your blade into the back of her knee. Unless she has her knees locked she's going to go down in a heap.

Your options are really to retaliate, fight, force the issue, or ignore it. The best way to get to her is to beat her team on the scoreboard. It's no fun being a ragdoll/punching bag but as long as you are contributing to the offense and helping your team win it might all be worth it.

On a side note, it's things like this that have driven me to quit league play. Too many people forget that they have to go to work in the morning.

Fanned On It 05-13-2012 02:30 PM

Yeah I'm a guy that plays in a no-contact (yeah right) men's league and I'm 22 and tall and skinny. I play in the bottom two divisions as I've only been playing for a little over a year, and I guess because I'm young and somewhat fast the older guys like to take jabs at me and rough me up with their sticks and whatnot. It especially sucks in front of the other team's net where I'm constantly cross-checked in the back and knocked to my knees or slashed or what have you. It would be nice if the refs picked up on it and called a penalty every once in a while but it just doesn't happen. I think the main reason they don't call much for me is because my family owns the rink I play in and the whole entire hockey organization. So, players don't typically take penalties against me because I guess the refs don't want them thinking I'm getting some sort of special treatment (which is BS... if it's a penalty, then call it).

This actually one time led to a fight between me and some guy in his 30s or 40s who was much bigger than me. The dude first slashed me in the back of the legs during one play, so I gave him a little jab with my butt-end to his waist area. On the next play he two handed me across my chest real high where it almost hit my neck and the refs didn't call a thing! So after the next whistle I just took a run at the guy and cross-checked him in the chest and we got into a big scuffle and ended up on the ice.

But I guess all you can do is defend yourself like you said. Cross-checks to the back are definitely annoying and painful so maybe try that.

donkers* 05-13-2012 02:33 PM

I'm a smaller player too and have had this happen a lot. Like others said, a few slashes and pokes in the right area shows them you're willing to fight back and decrease the abuse. I don't condone cheap shots but certain situations call for it. There are two I go for at times like these. One is a quick jab into the mid section. The other is a slash to the kidney section.

newfr4u 05-13-2012 03:54 PM

lots of HORRIBLE advice over here. you do not need to hurt the other player, especially by trying to hit someone where they have no protection, or with the butt end of your stick. you can cause unnecessary injury, and you are more likely to be kicked out of the league than your opponent, which is what the other guy/girl wants.

if you are fed up with what they are doing, turn around, give them a piece of your mind, learn to do a clean body check, or crosscheck them if they really are that much bigger than you, eat the 2 minutes and come out stronger the next shift. even in no-contact leagues, if you are the puck-carrier, you can pass/shoot and run over the defenseman.

one other thing about big defensemen, boxing out around the crease is their bread and butter. yes, you have the right to that area too, but if you go there and are constantly at a disadvantage, you need to come up with a different tactic. learn to sneak away from the D before they push you down, quick transition to the side of the goal, go behind and pop out on the other side, make him chase you, don't pick a stationary battle if that's an advantage to him. nothing frustrates his goalie more when his D is darting left and right in front of him because he is preoccupied with you. plus it makes him more tired if he's much heavier than you.

ArrogantOwl 05-13-2012 06:31 PM

Have you tried just blasting a slapshot high into them? Should send the message real quick while being almost completely legal.

AIREAYE 05-13-2012 08:20 PM

I'm losing hope in society after all of these posts. An eye for an eye huh guys? Fight fire with fire?

newfr4u seems to be the only sane one here...

clayman 05-13-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 49663261)
I'm losing hope in society after all of these posts. An eye for an eye huh guys? Fight fire with fire?

I agree... Bad ideas.

1Knee1T 05-13-2012 09:36 PM

Nothing wrong with giving back what you take. Just keep drawing matching minors. It's house league, the girl won't want to spend her game in the box. She'll cut the **** eventually.

Jacob8hockey* 05-13-2012 09:42 PM

If you want to get back at her in a dirty way, which I would do because I play like a ***** lol then you should try this out.

When she is hitting you down infront of the net try and get your stick in her feet or get her to fall so that when the play goes back up the ice you both are still back there. Hoepfully the refs go and now you have all the time in the world to give her the biggest wind up slash you can imagine. Best part is if she retaliates the refs will most likely see her too.

Ofcourse if you take any of the 'slash' methods be prepared to back yourself up because some people will just get worse. Generally I think it gets under their skin and tells them to back off.

Or you can just score a beauty and be done with her.

donkers* 05-13-2012 09:46 PM

I don't know what level hockey some of you guys have played but against those type of players if you don't fight fire with fire they're not going to quit it. Talking to them won't do anything. Darting in front of them like a rat on crack won't do anything. You can be a baby about it or man up and get it in their head they're no longer going to take liberties with your manhood.

qmechanic 05-13-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donkers (Post 49667849)
I don't know what level hockey some of you guys have played but against those type of players if you don't fight fire with fire they're not going to quit it. Talking to them won't do anything. Darting in front of them like a rat on crack won't do anything. You can be a baby about it or man up and get it in their head they're no longer going to take liberties with your manhood.

Don't you mean womanhood?

Jarick 05-13-2012 11:12 PM

Best revenge is lighting them up on the score sheet. Short of that, I have laid a clean, shoulder to shoulder open ice hit and taken my 2 minutes to keep people off my back. I don't injure, I just give them a reason to think twice.

Wildturkey12 05-14-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfr4u (Post 49654303)

one other thing about big defensemen, boxing out around the crease is their bread and butter. yes, you have the right to that area too, but if you go there and are constantly at a disadvantage, you need to come up with a different tactic. learn to sneak away from the D before they push you down, quick transition to the side of the goal, go behind and pop out on the other side, make him chase you, don't pick a stationary battle if that's an advantage to him. nothing frustrates his goalie more when his D is darting left and right in front of him because he is preoccupied with you. plus it makes him more tired if he's much heavier than you.

You nailed it right here.

Wooty 05-14-2012 12:36 AM

Go behind the net and try to time your arrival with the shot. Get behind the defender in front of the goalie.

clayman 05-14-2012 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 49671261)
Best revenge is lighting them up on the score sheet. Short of that, I have laid a clean, shoulder to shoulder open ice hit and taken my 2 minutes to keep people off my back. I don't injure, I just give them a reason to think twice.

That's what I believe is the right way to go about it... Straight forward in your face hockey. I never have thought much about cheap shots to injure-All that will lead to is her taking it to the next step. I feel bad for the gal as all she wants is to play and some freaking amazon is thinking its the Stanley Cup finals... :shakehead

Then again if that doesn't work, a stick between her legs in front of the net to trip her up and a elbow to the gut as she lands on her can't hurt! Hey, you can only put up with that stuff for so long! lol.. But spearing and slashing? That's a bit much for rec league hockey..

Fanned On It 05-14-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIREAYE (Post 49663261)

He said the same thing a lot of us said... give him a nice little cross-check and be done with it... I don't see the big deal in that.

The Spicy Shrimp 05-14-2012 01:51 AM

Slew foots, spearing, cross check to the throat, all good ideas.

For serious though, match her behavior, goad her into offsetting penalties, maybe even fake like you're going to drop your gloves to get her to drop hers. I always love seeing one player act like they want a fight to get the other to take an unsportsmanlike.

rinkrat22 05-14-2012 06:03 AM

maybe some of you pasificts should reread her entire post. she is getting bullied. there is only one way to deal with a bully, whether its on the ice or life. and that's to stand up for yourself. I'm not saying to break a stick over her head I'm saying give her a little crack on the ankle or elbow to let her know you wont be taking her ****.

Wilch 05-14-2012 06:17 AM

Just watch your back when she's on the ice.

You're not getting paid to play, avoid suffering a serious injury from stuff like a check from behind/boarding/slewfoot. Fighting back will have 2 possible outcomes:

1. She stops in fear of retaliation
2. She comes at you even more aggressively

Probably not worth the risk.

hockeymass 05-14-2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCritical (Post 49648107)
So I play in a non contact womens league, but I seem to have gotten on the wrong side of a particular player.

This woman is best described as a brick ****house on skates - at least 200 pounds - and plays a D. Everytime we're on the ice together, somehow she will get behind me and pound me in the numbers, and down I go. If we meet in front of the net, I get leveled - then again when I try to get up, until they've cleared the puck. I've practically got indents on my back from her stick

She is rough with everyone but I think - and my teammates and coach agree - that she's going after me in particular. And no, the refs don't care. They won't call a thing against their home team.

So, what do HF? I want to stand my ground but I don't want to hurt her or get too many stupid penalty minutes.

The refs really play favorites with the home team in a no contact womens league game? What the hell?

Anyway, isn't there some kind of league official that oversees the whole thing that you can discuss the situation with? If it's that egregious, then that person should get involved and make sure the refs are calling the game appropriately.