HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   World Hockey Championship 2012 discussion. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1189503)

SimplySensational 05-13-2012 03:19 PM

World Hockey Championship 2012 discussion.

Confirmed participants:
Ovechkin
Semin
Backstrom

Possible:
Carlson

Ovi will be playing with an injured uninspiring Datsyuk, Kuznetsov likely to stay on the line.

Backstrom will play with Alfredsson and Hornqvist, a lite version of Ovi + Knuble. He may play PP1 with Eriksson and Z with Alfie and EK on the point, putting him possibly in a position to be the shooter.

Carlson would probably be asked due to his good performance during POs defensively. US team has lost games because of allowing stupidly high quality chances, Carlson could help fix these problems. No idea who he gets paired with.

Dream Big 05-13-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberation (Post 49653161)
Confirmed participants:
Ovechkin
Semin
Backstrom

Possible:
Carlson

Ovi will be playing with an injured uninspiring Datsyuk, Kuznetsov likely to stay on the line.

Backstrom will play with Alfredsson and Hornqvist, a lite version of Ovi + Knuble. He may play PP1 with Eriksson and Z with Alfie and EK on the point, putting him possibly in a position to be the shooter.

Carlson would probably be asked due to his good performance during POs defensively. US team has lost games because of allowing stupidly high quality chances, Carlson could help fix these problems. No idea who he gets paired with.

I'm surprised that they can add them so late in. Are they dropping other players or weren't the rosters full for Russia, Sweden and USA?

CapitalsCupFantasy 05-13-2012 03:33 PM

Enjoy the Worlds losers...

SimplySensational 05-13-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dream Big (Post 49653477)
I'm surprised that they can add them so late in. Are they dropping other players or weren't the rosters full for Russia, Sweden and USA?

They get a few extra slots for injuries.

Most teams wait for certain NHL players to join Canada doesn't though.

DCRedhawk21 05-13-2012 07:58 PM

Pretty brutal boarding on Gogo earlier...

doakacola* 05-14-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liberation (Post 49653779)
They get a few extra slots for injuries.
Most teams wait for certain NHL players to join Canada doesn't though.

The US kept open slots for PO eliminations, not thru injury.

Halpysback 05-14-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy (Post 49653643)
Enjoy the Worlds losers...

With fans like that I'm surprised they don't win the cup every year

MiSe 05-14-2012 02:08 PM

Kuznetzov finally had another goal. I think he's up to 2 goals 4 apples in the WC now.

Liberati0n* 05-14-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halpysback (Post 49687803)
With fans like that I'm surprised they don't win the cup every year

Maybe if more fans had that attitude, they would. Their fans cheered during the epic collapse against the Penguins in 2009. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Halpysback 05-14-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonsofcain (Post 49692483)
Maybe if more fans had that attitude, they would. Their fans cheered during the epic collapse against the Penguins in 2009. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I know, right. Players play so much better when the fanbase *****es the hell out of them at every opportunity. Because, you know, they're all just instinctively lazy and whatnot and need to be reminded what worthless sacks of **** they are.

Stewie G 05-14-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonsofcain (Post 49692483)

Yes. The fans were cheering the effort from that night (or series), and that night (or series) only. It couldn't possibly have been recognition for the effort from the entire season.

If you have a kid who makes it to the state tourney in their respective sport and ends up having a bad day, are you going to boo them for that performance on the car ride home or let them know that you were proud of how they performed over the course of the entire season? I know the situations aren't entirely comparable, but the connection is there.

Duke33 05-14-2012 05:51 PM

Tournament of losers. Be nice if some of these guys showed the effort in Games 5 & 7 that they did in rushing off to join this jokefest.

Hey at least the great Kuznetsov can showcase his talents that nobody will see in the NHL for at least two years.

Liberati0n* 05-14-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie G (Post 49692999)
Yes. The fans were cheering the effort from that night (or series), and that night (or series) only. It couldn't possibly have been recognition for the effort from the entire season.

That's the ****ing point. Who gives a **** what the team did in the regular season when they end it like that? It's pathetic and invalidates the whole thing. The decision to cheer that pathetic display just confirms the fans' participation in the Capitals' trademark culture of accepting mediocrity at every turn.

Liberati0n* 05-14-2012 07:36 PM

I'm not saying people should act like Canadiens' fans...there is a middle ground. Pathetically cheering an embarrassing display of choking and failure is on the other end of the spectrum.

Stewie G 05-14-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonsofcain (Post 49701839)
That's the ****ing point. Who gives a **** what the team did in the regular season when they end it like that? It's pathetic and invalidates the whole thing. The decision to cheer that pathetic display just confirms the fans' participation in the Capitals' trademark culture of accepting mediocrity at every turn.

Life's too short to get so far wrapped around the axle over a sports team. I was going to type more but you'll likely find a reason to blast it too. Some people are just never happy.

LSnow 05-15-2012 10:20 AM

Its sad watching WC and thinking what a little space would do for NHL, talented players look like the talented players, pylons like Schenn,Phaneuf, Keith look like ahl players.. Tavares schooling everyone, Ryan dangling, Filppula has a chance using his hands. Then they go nhl and have to grind it days on end because talentless grinders can keep up with them because zero space..

Maruk moustache 05-15-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSnow (Post 49725507)
Its sad watching WC and thinking what a little space would do for NHL, talented players look like the talented players, pylons like Schenn,Phaneuf, Keith look like ahl players.. Tavares schooling everyone, Ryan dangling, Filppula has a chance using his hands. Then they go nhl and have to grind it days on end because talentless grinders can keep up with them because zero space..

I agree.

I know of some who say the big ice is actually more boring though. It does seem a bit slower to me, in general, which I think might be because you generally just have more time to decide what to do.

I like it better though.

DanTHEMan71 05-15-2012 10:53 AM

With our team's of the past 2-3 years, we probably would've won the cup already if the NHL played on big ice.

IMO, it's way more fun to watch.

SimplySensational 05-16-2012 02:38 PM

Apparently Nicky played against Latvia yesterday, got an secondary assist.

Didn't see the game, can't rate his play, wish I did though, was pointless to watch the Russian Italy game.

RandyHolt 05-16-2012 02:54 PM

When every team can ice all stars up and down the lineup, huge ice is great. Put Laich Brouwer Ward Knuble Beagle and Hendricks out and see if they entertain you. I think a smaller rink would be more entertaining, personally.

This was the failed vision of the league. Instead of a bigger rink, they attempted to remove obstruction instead. Removed the obstruction, and the lack of skill league wide was fully exposed.

The NHL as a league can come up with enough all stars for one game. Heck, Wideman was out there.

Stewie G 05-16-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyHolt (Post 49779661)
When every team can ice all stars up and down the lineup, huge ice is great. Put Laich Brouwer Ward Knuble Beagle and Hendricks out and see if they entertain you. I think a smaller rink would be more entertaining, personally.

This was the failed vision of the league. Instead of a bigger rink, they attempted to remove obstruction instead. Removed the obstruction, and the lack of skill league wide was fully exposed.

The NHL as a league can come up with enough all stars for one game. Heck, Wideman was out there.

Looking at it another way, bigger ice might force out the Jay Beagles of the world and give room for smaller but more skilled forwards that might currently be stuck in the AHL or are plying their trade overseas.

Seeing fewer blocked shots and having more room for stick handling/passing would probably increase the entertainment factor for a large number of people.

Backstrom #19 05-16-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie G (Post 49782081)
Looking at it another way, bigger ice might force out the Jay Beagles of the world and give room for smaller but more skilled forwards that might currently be stuck in the AHL or are plying their trade overseas.

Seeing fewer blocked shots and having more room for stick handling/passing would probably increase the entertainment factor for a large number of people.

Like Kieth Aucoin?...Let's hope the NHL doesn't do that.

QuadrupleDeke 05-16-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 (Post 49782511)
Like Kieth Aucoin?...Let's hope the NHL doesn't do that.

Don't forget:

http://michiganhockey.net/wp-content...edish-chef.jpg

Mystlyfe 05-16-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maruk moustache (Post 49725869)
I agree.

I know of some who say the big ice is actually more boring though. It does seem a bit slower to me, in general, which I think might be because you generally just have more time to decide what to do.

I like it better though.

Big ice is great in international tournaments. The "best of the best" (or even "best of the rest" as in the WHC) format provides enough skilled guys and talent for it to be a good show. If you took an average NHL (or KHL) team, it slows down a lot and ends up a lot more boring than you'd hope.

The Flying Finn 05-17-2012 07:26 AM

haha Canada just lost to Slovakia, out of the tournament.