HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Do you want the Flyers to re-sign Jagr? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1189617)

Ryker 05-13-2012 06:12 PM

Do you want the Flyers to re-sign Jagr?

Similar to the Carle thread, what do you think about resigning Jagr? I'm a bit torn here. On one hand, he seems to be a very positive presence in the locker-room and a great influence all-around. On the other, he was a non-factor in games against the Devils. Still, I think the price was right this year, and we got more than enough for what we paid him. I'm just not sure what to expect from his next season. He says that he's learned this year what needs to be done for him to play well, and that he's therefore going to improve for next year. So I don't know whether he miscalculated his preparation for the season or that's just fluff trying to raise his value on the market.

Realistically, judging from all the interviews it looks like he won't be back, since he wouldn't have the role he wants, but I'd still give him a shot if he's paid up to around $3 mio. Thoughts?

Cuiff 05-13-2012 06:16 PM

At the same price for 1 to 2 years! Any more money or years and its a flat out no!

JDinkalage Morgoone 05-13-2012 06:26 PM

^ What he said.

RJ8812* 05-13-2012 06:32 PM

maybe for $2m

Yukon Cornelius 05-13-2012 06:32 PM

A giant Hell No!

Jagr was pathetic down the stretch. I lost my voice countless times screamin' at his old ass in rounds 1 & 2. His 1rst line minutes have already (deservingly) been absorbed by Vorachek.

Where would you put him? 2nd Line? No ****in way. He's a 3rd line forward at best. We gave him plenty of opportunities to resign but he rebuffed them all with the intention of testing the open market. Let him walk, he was a typical European skill forward who when confronted with adversity and playoff time, disappeared faster than a fart in the wind.

There is no way the Flyers bring him back.

Flyerfan4life 05-13-2012 06:35 PM

not really, i think we learned all we can realisticaly expect from him ..

i wont be upset either way unless they overpay for him.

Broad Street Elite 05-13-2012 06:50 PM

I think it all depends on the money. I don't expect him to be an early priority as the team will focus on defense. If the can match the dollars, Jagr is a great veteran leader on a still very young defense, particularly upfront.

If the defense is addressed and we can return Jagr for 1 more year, I'm on board. If signing Jagr prevents us from addressing our defensive shortcomings in the best way possible, it's a no go.

flyersfan187 05-13-2012 07:01 PM

I would like him back but I would rather spend the extra cap on a d-man or two. The Flyers have enough forwards that can step up and take his spot and I think Jagr knows that.

RespectTheCouts 05-13-2012 07:17 PM

I'd take him back, just on his locker room presence and his mentoring for the young guns alone I would, the Flyers have all sorts of young guys that could use another year with Jagr's experience I think in the long run his price tag would pay for itself with the help he is going to be

sa cyred 05-13-2012 07:21 PM

I go one more year, alittle less than what he got (so around 2.7 or 2.8). His injury/age showed this season.

dawkins121 05-13-2012 08:16 PM

Depends on what else happens in the offseason. I like Jagr a lot despite the limitations of his age. But even if it's only for $2 mill, if that's the difference between someone like Suter and Carle then we can afford to let him go.

sobrien 05-13-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 49660451)
I go one more year, alittle less than what he got (so around 2.7 or 2.8). His injury/age showed this season.

Agreed. He will keep the kids hungry. Remember he won two Cups in his first two years and hasn't won one since. If anyone can teach them to stay determined, it'd be him I think.

DrinkFightFlyers 05-13-2012 08:37 PM

Should add another option of Yes, depending on who else is available. If he is going to sign here, for whatever price on a one year deal, I would do it depending on who else is available at a comparable price. If there is someone younger who is able to help the team more than Jagr will be, then sign him. If no one else in that price range is going to help out as much as Jagr, then sign him up.

I liked him this season and I think the consensus from the team is that he did so much more for the team behind the scenes than just his play on the ice (which for the most part was good). If he's able to compete and play for a reasonable price, let's do it.

BillDineen 05-13-2012 09:05 PM

He takes away Couturier's potential PP time. That would be my only concern.

MountainHawk 05-13-2012 09:13 PM

He wore out pretty bad at the end. I think the NHL season is too long for him. Can we sign him for Feb 1 on?

CerpinTaxt 05-13-2012 09:54 PM

Id pay 3 million to see 19 or more salutes.

laundryman 05-13-2012 09:55 PM

Not really. I really grew to like Jags and what he did for the young guys is going to really help down the road, but he can't handle a full season. I'd much rather use the money to sign a player that can make a larger impact come playoff time.

Mgkibbles 05-13-2012 10:07 PM

Sure, if it's for the same cap hit or less. Anything above? Nah.

StandingCow 05-13-2012 10:08 PM

Yea, but only if it is for a bit less.

Fenza 05-13-2012 10:32 PM

I think it's time to move on and give our young guns more first line time and PP time. It would be nice to see Voracek play with G on the first line and maybe Cooters have Jagr's PP spot.

Giroux 4 MVP 05-13-2012 10:33 PM

I would resign him but it really can't be for more then 2.5 he was invisale for most of the playoffs

BrindamoursNose 05-13-2012 10:41 PM

Sadly, no. He was great this year but that cap space needs to be used differently.

Was really a great contributor for us this year, though. Really showed his age at the end.

WolfHound 05-13-2012 10:49 PM

I rather have Jagr than Voracek.

Giroux 4 MVP 05-13-2012 10:49 PM

I think if schenn and couturier get more ice time they could really show everything they could easily make up the point Jagr got this year, I don't think signing him is essential but it would be a bonus, but you are correct cap space must be used in a different way.

BrindamoursNose 05-13-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfHound (Post 49670505)
I rather have Jagr than Voracek.

....Why?