HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Stand-Up Goalie, the dying breed? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1189667)

MrAlfie 05-13-2012 08:04 PM

Stand-Up Goalie, the dying breed?

Do you think there will ever be another goalie in the future who will make it to the NHL and be truly successful as a pure stand-up goalie?
Do coaches these days even teach the technique now that the butterfly or hybrid are THE apparent more effective styles?

ozzie 05-13-2012 08:17 PM

If the size of the nets and rules remain somewhat the same, then I believe Brodeur is the last of his kind. At least from Canada.

Butterfly is so strong at lower levels of hockey, it makes average goalies better. Its the eaiser root. Especially in North America.

European system seems to encourage and allow alternatives to Butterfly more, but not really stand up to much.

If the nets got bigger or higher, maybe?

Big McLargehuge 05-13-2012 08:23 PM

True stand-up goalies are probably gone...the hybrid won't go anywhere, though.

tarheelhockey 05-13-2012 08:25 PM

Who was the last true stand-up? Kirk MacLean?

Finlandia WOAT 05-13-2012 08:27 PM

Pure stand up goalies are long gone...

Brodeur is a hybrid goalie.

LatvianTwist 05-13-2012 08:31 PM

Most of the elite goalies seem to play more of a hybrid style.

SoupNazi 05-13-2012 08:36 PM

Pure standups are gone, and they're not returning.

CoopALoop 05-13-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupNazi (Post 49664079)
Pure standups are gone, and they're not returning.

This.

It's a very inefficient way of playing as a goaltender.

5RingsAndABeer 05-13-2012 10:32 PM

IIRC there were 2 guys in NHL12 that were stand-ups. But one was a mistake I think because when you viewed his in-depth ratings profile it listed him as a hybrid.

mizzoublues29 05-13-2012 10:47 PM

The b-fly is just too effective to revert back to stand-up.

Avim86 05-13-2012 10:48 PM

Well I know one thing if Quick would have Stood up , that Derrek Morris goal is non-existant.

capebretoncanadien 05-13-2012 10:53 PM

Never a pure stand up. It's gone. Hybrid style seems popular though.

Rickety Cricket 05-13-2012 11:02 PM

I think the closest to a more old school style are Brodeur and Nabokov.

Finkle is Einhorn 05-13-2012 11:29 PM

Dying? They're dead. Just imagine a guy today playing like this:

The Fear Boners 05-13-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrAlfie (Post 49662655)
Do you think there will ever be another goalie in the future who will make it to the NHL and be truly successful as a pure stand-up goalie?
Do coaches these days even teach the technique now that the butterfly or hybrid are THE apparent more effective styles?

Just doesn't make sense to play a stand up style anymore when you can have a 6'4 goaltender that is incredibly athletic and can cover most of the net while on his knees. Hybrid and butterfly are the future and will break down more as athletic style and positional style.

ITM 05-13-2012 11:49 PM

"Dying"?

Dead long ago.

SharksFan1 05-14-2012 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzie (Post 49663133)
If the size of the nets and rules remain somewhat the same, then I believe Brodeur is the last of his kind. At least from Canada.

Butterfly is so strong at lower levels of hockey, it makes average goalies better. Its the eaiser root. Especially in North America.

European system seems to encourage and allow alternatives to Butterfly more, but not really stand up to much.

If the nets got bigger or higher, maybe?

Especially when they are Pekka Rinne and Smiths size. They don't give up much by going down into the butterfly.

Wooty 05-14-2012 01:41 AM

The pure butterfly is no longer the top way to play. Being mobile and active in the butterfly is the way it's done. Luongo's passive method is out, Lundqvuist/Quick active butterfly is in.

You have to be able to move fast in the butterfly position (down)

Prairie Habs 05-14-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still All In (Post 49672275)
Just doesn't make sense to play a stand up style anymore when you can have a 6'4 goaltender that is incredibly athletic and can cover most of the net while on his knees. Hybrid and butterfly are the future and will break down more as athletic style and positional style.

This is a big part of it. Goalies use to be the small guy who was picked last but it has evolved into a more respected position with bigger guys. If someone like Rinne who is 6'5 were to try and play standing up a large part of his torso would be wasted above the crossbar.

seeweed 05-14-2012 02:50 AM

you never know. one day, the league might make it illegal to be a butterfly goalie to increase offence. lol.

Hank4Hart 05-14-2012 02:56 AM

francois allaire killed it. :laugh:

Ola 05-14-2012 03:18 AM

I think the real question is when experts on TV will realize what playing goalie is about these days and stop sounding like idiots when complaining on a goalie for "going down too early" or something like that lol.

Doctor Drej 05-14-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 49663601)
Who was the last true stand-up? Kirk MacLean?

Osgood was a stand-up but later in his career he kind of changed to a half-butterfly.

It's a thing of the past now. The only goalies who's style resembles the stand-up like Brodeur, Nabokov, Roloson.. are all older and at end of their careers. Enjoy them while you can.

startainfection 05-14-2012 07:28 AM

i thought it was already dead

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeweed (Post 49674787)
you never know. one day, the league might make it illegal to be a butterfly goalie to increase offence. lol.

i think you are joking but to all the people that don't know there was a tim in the nhl where goalies weren't allowed to butterfly, i think it was in the 20's

8spokesontheB 05-14-2012 07:34 AM

I remember on the old video games where if you were making a goalie you would choose between "stand-up" and "butterfly".

It amuses me to hear people say "the hybrid is here to stay" because that's what's been said about every goaltending style! I'd bet my lunch that sooner or later - probably later - some hotshot will come along who can play great stand-up 'tender, and then some kids will follow who admired him.