HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   OHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Memorial Cup (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1189723)

Nabru 05-13-2012 10:05 PM

Memorial Cup
 
Hosts: Shawinigan
QMJHL Champs: Saint John
OHL Champs: London
WHL Champs: Edmonton

What are everyone's thoughts or predictions on this year's tourny? Being the OHL forum, what do people think of the Knights' chances?

Tournament is a crapshoot. Saint John should be favoured to repeat. It sounds like both Edmonton and London weren't expected to win their leagues this year and Shawinigan really underachieved in the playoffs getting eliminated in round 2.

GO KNIGHTS GO

big papa 05-13-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urs9 (Post 49668799)
Hosts: Shawinigan
QMJHL Champs: Saint John
OHL Champs: London
WHL Champs: Edmonton

What are everyone's thoughts or predictions on this year's tourny? Being the OHL forum, what do people think of the Knights' chances?

Tournament is a crapshoot. Saint John should be favoured to repeat. It sounds like both Edmonton and London weren't expected to win their leagues this year and Shawinigan really underachieved in the playoffs getting eliminated in round 2.

GO KNIGHTS GO

Shawinigan lost Carnavale before game one of round 2 after the doctor told him if he put of the Surgery any longer for his Shoulder he wouldnt be able to play anything other then Pick up hockey if he were to have it get popped out again but they still have a pretty good team.

Saint John added Charle Coyle for the final half of the season and he didnt really start tearing it up till playoffs when he left Boston College as he will be in the AHL for sure next season but has a good chance to play NHL in Minny.

London is good young team and even if they dont win it will give the young guys a long playoff run in there first/second season but if they are to loose Houser then they dont have a good back up while every other team has a good back up

Edmonton didnt loose a playoff game until they lost in the Finals and they won 23 or 24 Straight going back to the reg season before they finally lost a game.

Grant 05-13-2012 11:49 PM

I honestly feel the Knights are the underdogs going into this. Sea Dogs are just plain stacked, Oilkings had that amazing winning streak for a while just recently and Shawinigan is the host. The Knights are young and relatively inexperienced but they have persevered all season long. Underdog is not necessarily a bad role, many of them can honestly say "there is always next year" while these other teams have many players who can't say that, pressure is on them to perform now. I'm expecting the worst so I can not be let down, but of course I am hoping for the best.

My brother also told me that apparently Dale is already looking at film to help prepare the Knights, I doubt he goes behind the bench, probably won't even go to the practices, but I bet he will be helping Mark and the other coaches behind the scenes a great deal.

Edit: Isn't Dale looking at the tape, it's Mark. But the article says Dale is expected to be in Shawinigan. They haven't decided if he will help out on the bench.

OHLFan8771 05-13-2012 11:58 PM

Like everyone has said the Sea Dogs are the team to beat as in my opinion they are heavy favorites. After that it could go any way really. I would give the 2nd place team to Edmonton but could easily see them finishing 3rd or maybe 4th. I have been betting against London since the Saginaw series and got burned every time. I do not like the Knights at all but I will give credit when it is due. They deserve to be there and they are surprised many this year.

OHLTG 05-14-2012 12:07 AM

Know very little about the three teams outside of the O, but will give this a shot:

St John's - reigning champs, the 2011/2012 version of Windsor a couple years ago. Is it wrong I hope they don't win? LOL!

Shawinigan - I'd like to see them take it. I don't remember the last time a home team won it all.

Edmonton - Domination country. Wouldn't be against them taking it all, though no emotional attachment to them at all.

London - I don't have the same hate as other Spits fans do, but, at the same time, I don't want to see them take it. Watson has a Memorial Cup, so that takes some out of it for me :laugh:


If I had my way:

Edmonton 2-1
St John's 2-1
Shawinigan 1-2
London 1-2

Shawinigan takes the tie-breaker, faces off against St John's.

St John's takes the semi and goes against Edmonton in the battle of teams who haven't a clue how to lose.

Edmonton 4-2 in the finals.

Grant 05-14-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHLTG (Post 49672735)
Know very little about the three teams outside of the O, but will give this a shot:

St John's - reigning champs, the 2011/2012 version of Windsor a couple years ago. Is it wrong I hope they don't win? LOL!

Shawinigan - I'd like to see them take it. I don't remember the last time a home team won it all.

Edmonton - Domination country. Wouldn't be against them taking it all, though no emotional attachment to them at all.

London - I don't have the same hate as other Spits fans do, but, at the same time, I don't want to see them take it. Watson has a Memorial Cup, so that takes some out of it for me :laugh:


If I had my way:

Edmonton 2-1
St John's 2-1
Shawinigan 1-2
London 1-2

Shawinigan takes the tie-breaker, faces off against St John's.

St John's takes the semi and goes against Edmonton in the battle of teams who haven't a clue how to lose.

Edmonton 4-2 in the finals.

Knights did in 2005, no clue if any team has done it since. Windsor winning twice, neither at home automatically eliminates 2 of the 6 other winners since the Knights did.

OHLFan8771 05-14-2012 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant123 (Post 49672919)
Knights did in 2005, no clue if any team has done it since. Windsor winning twice, neither at home automatically eliminates 2 of the 6 other winners since the Knights did.

The Vancouver Giants of the WHL were the last team to host and win in 2007.

go_leafs_go02 05-14-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 (Post 49673883)
The Vancouver Giants of the WHL were the last team to host and win in 2007.

Knights won the tournament legitimately by winning the OHL Championship in 2005.

Vancouver did make the WHL final that year though. So essentially, they would have made the Memorial Cup legitimately since it was in their own league.

OHLArenaGuide 05-14-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHLTG (Post 49672735)
Know very little about the three teams outside of the O, but will give this a shot:

St John's - reigning champs, the 2011/2012 version of Windsor a couple years ago. Is it wrong I hope they don't win? LOL!

Shawinigan - I'd like to see them take it. I don't remember the last time a home team won it all.

Edmonton - Domination country. Wouldn't be against them taking it all, though no emotional attachment to them at all.

London - I don't have the same hate as other Spits fans do, but, at the same time, I don't want to see them take it. Watson has a Memorial Cup, so that takes some out of it for me :laugh:


If I had my way:

Edmonton 2-1
St John's 2-1
Shawinigan 1-2
London 1-2

Shawinigan takes the tie-breaker, faces off against St John's.

St John's takes the semi and goes against Edmonton in the battle of teams who haven't a clue how to lose.

Edmonton 4-2 in the finals.


St. John's doesn't have a QMJHL team.

SignThornton 05-14-2012 11:52 AM

I think it'll come down to Saint John and Edmonton. I'd be surprised if the other two teams gave them a good go but you never know.

thomasincanada 05-14-2012 02:02 PM

London is a definite underdog against Saint John and probably Edmonton.. probably the favourite against Shawinigan.

The reality though is that anything can happen in a one and done scenario and a good goalie. Plus London is undefeated in Memorial Cup history :naughty:

Thinking back we like to act like 05 was guaranteed but from what I recall on here many people were picking Rimouski to beat us and some were picking Kelowna as the favourites also.

thomasincanada 05-14-2012 02:11 PM

I just hope we can get some kind of power play going for the tournament.

aresknights 05-14-2012 02:34 PM

One thing the Knights did a great job thru the POs with was getting better and more in control of each series as they went on. Adjustments were made by the staff and team as they got used to their competition, and they paid off big time. They were able to break teams thru the series, when the opposition realized they wouldnt let up and would pay any price to win. Can they impose this same will to win in a round robin tourny format?
There is no time for "wearing an opponent down " in this type tourney format. Theyll need to be ready from the onset and show the same resilency they had vs Niagara if they get down in a game. Im not going top count this group out by any means but this is a different animal. Im sure no stone will be left unturned by the staff over the next week in prep. The players just gotta continue to trust the message, execute and leave it all on the ice.

This is going to be great fun to watch.
Throw Dale into the mix and the Knights are going to get plenty of coverage

go_leafs_go02 05-14-2012 02:44 PM

Ugh, I'm in the mountains of BC next weekend, so I'll miss the first 2 games. Will be able to catch the Tuesday Knights game though.

Growing up in London, I'm thrilled to see the Knights in there again. Don't know if they'll win or not, but it'll be a fun week regardless.

SimonTemplar 05-16-2012 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 (Post 49689923)
Ugh, I'm in the mountains of BC next weekend, so I'll miss the first 2 games. Will be able to catch the Tuesday Knights game though.

Growing up in London, I'm thrilled to see the Knights in there again. Don't know if they'll win or not, but it'll be a fun week regardless.

Cloverdale is in the Valley isn't it...not the Mountains. I went thru Cloverdale in November heading to Victoria when I did my WHL trip from Cranbrook, Okanagan to Island.

go_leafs_go02 05-16-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonTemplar (Post 49763857)
Cloverdale is in the Valley isn't it...not the Mountains. I went thru Cloverdale in November heading to Victoria when I did my WHL trip from Cranbrook, Okanagan to Island.

No, you misread me. I'll be away from home, in the mountains, without TV next weekend.

Cloverdale is right next to Langley, closer to Vancouver than the Fraser Valley really..

Arsenault 05-16-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 (Post 49779035)
No, you misread me. I'll be away from home, in the mountains, without TV next weekend.

Cloverdale is right next to Langley, closer to Vancouver than the Fraser Valley really..

Predicting an all Q championship game, Saint John (and it's Saint John, not St.John or even worst St. John's) because they have the best team at the tourney;and Shawinigan cause you can't underestimate the power of home ice advantage in the Q. Saint John will take it all in the end, they will however loose 1 game in the round robin, likley against Edmonton.

aresknights 05-17-2012 09:15 AM

Not a lot of fans picking the Knights to have a shot and thats understandable.
Its always hard to get a real good feel with the teams having no common opposition (save for the host and Shawinigan, and we know who is the fav there)
Hopefully all the games are exciting and the Knights can continue to thrive in an underdog role. They just gotta play there style game, be opportunistic on O, leave it all on the ice. Theyve shown resiliency all year and will have to again.

MArk has to make a decision on who is going to dress if no injuries are left from Niagara. AA, Horvat both sat as healthy scratches, and if Knight is OK one of them sits (they both bring something different that can help this club) or would he consider breaking up his best +/- and 2nd best scoring line, sitting Ferry for more skill? Doubt that one but well see as the tourney moves forward. Mark has pushed all the right buttons so far as far as personnell so....
Theres no gaurantee of the young guys getting back so I expect the players to play that way.
Ill go with Domi as a kid who steps up (no reasoning just an opinion as he got better as the POs went on)

Cant wait for this to start

aresknights 05-17-2012 09:20 AM

SeaDogs/Knights matchup up first gives the Knights a huge opportunity to gain confidence with a win, a loss and I think they can shake it off and not become deflated
Edmonton/ London matchup seems to be one where D will be the focus from what Ive read. Both teams looking for a miscue to jump on.
Shawinigan/London matchup will feature a boisterous crowd Id imagine but the Knights have dealt with that in Ktown and Niagara.


No idea how it will turn out, just going to be a fan, and refrain from any negative comments win or lose

Garyboy 05-17-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aresknights (Post 49814567)
SeaDogs/Knights matchup up first gives the Knights a huge opportunity to gain confidence with a win, a loss and I think they can shake it off and not become deflated

Depends how they lose. If Saint John lay the doodoo smooch on them, like Windsor did to Brandon a few years ago in their opener, I think it's **** up.

The Knights should play them close though. Like every year, the Memorial Cup is a total crap shoot, but I do feel Saint John/London/Edmonton should be pretty evenly matched.

chrisralph007 05-17-2012 08:53 PM

THW's 2012 Memorial Cup preview articles:

Memorial Cup 2012: Facts, Figures and Forecasts by Margann Laurissa
http://thehockeywriters.com/memorial...and-forecasts/

An In-Depth 2012 Memorial Cup Preview
http://thehockeywriters.com/an-in-de...l-cup-preview/

Taoiseach 05-17-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arsenault (Post 49783161)
Predicting an all Q championship game, Saint John (and it's Saint John, not St.John or even worst St. John's) because they have the best team at the tourney;and Shawinigan cause you can't underestimate the power of home ice advantage in the Q. Saint John will take it all in the end, they will however loose 1 game in the round robin, likley against Edmonton.

What? The Fog Devils aren't making it?! :sarcasm:

Hmm... I know noting about the Oil Kings so they're the x-factor as far as my predictions go, and I've been saying it all season- Shawinigan isn't actually that good.

I'm predicting a London-Saint John final, and as much as I would love the Knights to take it (pourri Saint John), I can't see the Sea Dogs not winning again.

SaskaToba 05-18-2012 12:31 PM

2012 Memorial Cup Preview Video
 
Here's an english preview video of the event with Domi, Horvat and Harrington from the Knights


aresknights 05-18-2012 01:27 PM

Thanks for the links

The Saw Is the Law 05-19-2012 08:22 AM

Last host champions:

2007 Vancouver
2005 London
2004 Kelowna
1999 Ottawa
1997 Hull
1995 Kamloops
1993 Sault Ste. Marie


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.