HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Rule change on shot blocking? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1190689)

NYDevil 05-15-2012 06:08 PM

Rule change on shot blocking?
 
Serious question. Do you think their will be a change in the rules as a result of the Rangers shot blocking?

2Cowen 05-15-2012 06:09 PM

Why would there be? Blocking shots is a part of the game.

Its like you telling NBA players they cant try to block a shot while someone is shooting.

Kane One 05-15-2012 06:09 PM

No. I doubt people would be complaining if Washington won game 7. They also blocked more shots than the Rangers.

The Big Giant Head 05-15-2012 06:11 PM

Isnt there already a thread on this and it was determined that a shot blocking rule is a very real possibility?

Kane One 05-15-2012 06:12 PM

Also, now people only complain because we are winning games? We blocked even more shots last year but we got knocked out in the first round in five games. How come there was no calls for a rule change then?

Everyone is now just a bunch of sore losers.

Devilshark 05-15-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYDevil (Post 49743225)
Serious question. Do you think their will be a change in the rules as a result of the Rangers shot blocking?

Probably. Especially against Washington, the Rangers made it literally impossible to get a shot thru. Since its not a skill play, any team can dress a bunch of guys that are willing to pile up in front of the net and take the abuse, hoping theyll get a lucky bounce or soft goal in their favor.

Kane One 05-15-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilshark (Post 49743347)
Probably. Especially against Washington, the Rangers made it literally impossible to get a shot thru. Since its not a skill play, any team can dress a bunch of guys that are willing to pile up in front of the net and take the abuse, hoping theyll get a lucky bounce or soft goal in their favor.

Washington blocked more shots than the Rangers, and by a wide margin too.

2Cowen 05-15-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 49743343)
Also, now people only complain because we are winning games? We blocked even more shots last year but we got knocked out in the first round in five games. How come there was no calls for a rule change then?

Everyone is now just a bunch of sore losers.

When you are the top of the east and are in a deep playoff run more people tend to notice these things as apposed to if you were an 8th seed losing in the first round

hof2120 05-15-2012 06:14 PM

Why would you want to make a rule against shot blocking? If a player is willing to lay down and take a puck to somewhere on his body to help his team win, then let him do it. Maybe more teams should get as many selfless players as the Rangers have.

Devilshark 05-15-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 49743359)
Washington blocked more shots than the Rangers.

Because the only way to beat that system is to copy it, or hope a team like LA will physically remove the Blue Shirts in front of Henrik and not get a bs call for it.



And Washington has much better skaters, hence more shots blocked.

McRanger 05-15-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilshark (Post 49743411)
Because the only way to beat that system is to copy it.

And Washington has much better skaters, hence more shots blocked.

Do me a favor, tell that to the Devils. If they accept that they cannot possibly beat the Rangers it will make for an easier series.

NYDevil 05-15-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hof2120 (Post 49743405)
Why would you want to make a rule against shot blocking? If a player is willing to lay down and take a puck to somewhere on his body to help his team win, then let him do it. Maybe more teams should get as many selfless players as the Rangers have.

With today's equipment everyone is willing to block shots because barely anyone is getting hurt. It's not just blocking shots but how you block them. For example maybe players will get penalized who leave their feet to stop a shot.

Kane One 05-15-2012 06:18 PM

Blocked shots in Round 2

Game 1: NYR: 15 - WAS: 15
Game 2: NYR: 14 - WAS: 24
Game 3: NYR: 41 - WAS: 40
Game 4: NYR: 7 - WAS: 26
Game 5: NYR: 10 - WAS: 25
Game 6: NYR: 6 - WAS: 24
Game 7: NYR: 19 - WAS: 15

Devilshark 05-15-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McRanger (Post 49743489)
Do me a favor, tell that to the Devils. If they accept that they cannot possibly beat the Rangers it will make for an easier series.

They can, but they need to create space physically to do it, and the refs might not allow it depending on what color the sky currently is.

Kane One 05-15-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson (Post 49743393)
When you are the top of the east and are in a deep playoff run more people tend to notice these things as apposed to if you were an 8th seed losing in the first round

So now that we are doing it in a winning fashion it's a bad thing? No one would care if we block shots and lose.

McRanger 05-15-2012 06:20 PM

I love now blocking shots is now a "system". Is hitting a separate system or part of the same?

It must be so depressing that the Rangers are having this much success without trapping.

nogger 05-15-2012 06:20 PM

if they make a rule change on something as simple as blocking shots i'm officially never watching this sport again. Washington or any team for that matter can lay out in front of the net and block shots. New York just capitalizes on an effective, yet simple play.

Devilshark 05-15-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 49743535)
Blocked shots in Round 2

Game 1: NYR: 15 - WAS: 15
Game 2: NYR: 14 - WAS: 24
Game 3: NYR: 41 - WAS: 40
Game 4: NYR: 7 - WAS: 26
Game 5: NYR: 10 - WAS: 25
Game 6: NYR: 6 - WAS: 24
Game 7: NYR: 19 - WAS: 15

Better skaters. Washington has more speed, and absolutely has more talent offensively. This is why despite all the shots and defense washington played, there were stretches where NYR looked like they were on a penalty kill when it was 5 on 5.

Tanking isnt something you can just start doing on command. The Rangers are built to play defense for 60 minutes and absorb punishment.

NYDevil 05-15-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 49743535)
Blocked shots in Round 2

Game 1: NYR: 15 - WAS: 15
Game 2: NYR: 14 - WAS: 24
Game 3: NYR: 41 - WAS: 40
Game 4: NYR: 7 - WAS: 26
Game 5: NYR: 10 - WAS: 25
Game 6: NYR: 6 - WAS: 24
Game 7: NYR: 19 - WAS: 15

I really shouldn't have just singled out the Rangers but I'm just curious if people think their will be a rule change in the future. Not if their should be one.

Kane One 05-15-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilshark (Post 49743411)
Because the only way to beat that system is to copy it, or hope a team like LA will physically remove the Blue Shirts in front of Henrik and not get a bs call for it.



And Washington has much better skaters, hence more shots blocked.

So you want some Kings to interfere with the Rangers and not get called?

McRanger 05-15-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilshark (Post 49743551)
They can, but they need to create space physically to do it, and the refs might not allow it depending on what color the sky currently is.

So if team like the Devils can beat them, a team that is far from a world beater, doesn't that pretty much crush your point?

Or are the refs part of his new "system" called playing gritty defense?

Kane One 05-15-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilshark (Post 49743631)
Better skaters. Washington has more speed, and absolutely has more talent offensively. This is why despite all the shots and defense washington played, there were stretches where NYR looked like they were on a penalty kill when it was 5 on 5.

Tanking isnt something you can just start doing on command. The Rangers are built to play defense for 60 minutes and absorb punishment.

Tanking?

And who cares if they are better offensively. Maybe our defense is better than their offense, which I guess proved to be true.

HagsSwag 05-15-2012 06:24 PM

Penalize people for going down on the ice to block a shot?
Notsureifserious.jpg

If all you need to win do is pile up people in front of the net and hope for a lucky bounce, why dont the Devils do it?

I mean I understand it is frustrating to play against but do you hear yourselves? Penalties for blocking shots. LOLWUT

Devilshark 05-15-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneone (Post 49743643)
So you want some Kings to interfere with the Rangers and not get called?

Well, the Rangers interfere and sit on dead pucks, so yeah. Its only fair.

No reason LA players shouldnt be allowed to move bodies around if the Rangers are just going to turtle their way to victory every night.

Otherwise there WILL be a rule change, because the games will become pointless.

Kane One 05-15-2012 06:26 PM

Also, didn't someone suggest a rule change to make it a penalty if a player falls completely down to block a shot? Didn't they say no? I guess that would answer the OP, right?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.