HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Santos-Markstrom to stay in San Antonio Another Year (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1191205)

Georgia Panther 05-16-2012 02:29 PM

Santos-Markstrom to stay in San Antonio Another Year

Management leaning towards keeping Theo and re-signing Clem for another year while Markstrom needs to show he can stay healthy for an entire season.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...ar-in-ahl.html

Georgia Panther 05-16-2012 02:37 PM

methinks "The Alien" won't be very happy reading that and remember his contract expires after next season.

jkscott 05-16-2012 02:38 PM

Saw this coming a mile away. Theo signed for 2 years.

jol 05-16-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgia Panther (Post 49778947)
methinks "The Alien" won't be very happy reading that and remember his contract expires after next season.

Another thing, will Clem sign one year contract? Or Theo will be out after 2013 and Clem and Alien continue?

JOL

Erick* 05-16-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jol (Post 49779967)
Another thing, will Clem sign one year contract? Or Theo will be out after 2013 and Clem and Alien continue?

JOL

If Tallon likes Clemmensen as much as the article says, he'll re-sign Clemmensen for a year to a contract that's better than any other contract he'll get elsewhere.

Tallon has a history of overpaying players he likes and it'd only be for one year (hopefully).

Dread Clawz 05-16-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgia Panther (Post 49778947)

Yeah, I'm nervous. Watch him get injured again and then bolt back and stay in Sweden lol.

Although, whenever Santos talks about prospects, it usually never comes true. Hopefully this is the same. He and Tallon always seem to have contrasting remarks wrt our prospects.

Also, if only Huberdeau is going to make the team next season, then how did management envision next season as "so much better than this season" and pinpointed that as the season we broke out and made the playoffs???

panthersfan751 05-16-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkscott (Post 49779001)
Saw this coming a mile away. Theo signed for 2 years.

I'm also not surprised. Markstrom is still only 22 and I don't see a need to rush him into the NHL.

I also think we shouldn't overlook how this benefits the Rampage. I don't follow the AHL that closely, but this seems to set the Rampage up well and give them high expectations next year, given how many of our prospects are playing there and with Markstrom returning. If Bjugstad decides to turn pro, that makes them even better still.

Panthers are Red 05-16-2012 03:54 PM

I think Markstrom is ready for the NHL. I know he hasn't played a full season in the AHL but he has shown that he has the ability to play the highest level. I also don't like the suggestion that he has to show that he can play a full season in the AHL before moving to the NHL. Maybe it would be better for him to actually have a reduced number of games next year and steadily build up the number of games he plays. If he has a weak knee that could actually be beneficial for him as it would allow him a year of working the knee less hard whilst building its strength and durability as well as gaining valuable experience. I have really bad knee problems and have experience first hand the issues of overworking it and that is even more likely for a professional sportsman.

Laus723 05-16-2012 04:06 PM

Fine by me if he stays in the A for another season. He's had another big injury and gr better toward the end of the season. Plenty of top goalies have been eased in.

harv3317 05-16-2012 04:39 PM

fine by me. i'm okay with clemmer for another season.

King Panther 05-16-2012 04:44 PM

I know its not a popular opinion around here, but I think we should seriously consider trading with LA for Bernier. He has only one more year on their contract and Im sure he will walk away because Quick is such a stud. We can bring him in and extend his contract. Let him back up Theo and then the following year he and Markstrom get to fight for the job. The loser gets traded.

NJ_CATS_FAN 05-16-2012 05:39 PM

This is really starting to piss me off with this whole Markstrom scenario. Its like we are babying him for the longest time. He's proven he can play in the NHL, so bring him up for good. Markstrom is ready. If we keep dicking him around up and down up and down up and down, he will bolt when his contract is up. It seems like we've had him in our organization for like 10 years already and they are scared to bring him up for good. Yes, hes been injured and yes hes been developing, but hes ready. Everyone keeps saying hes the future goalie of the franchise, let the kid play already!!!

nhlfan9191 05-16-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erick (Post 49780405)
If Tallon likes Clemmensen as much as the article says, he'll re-sign Clemmensen for a year to a contract that's better than any other contract he'll get elsewhere.

Tallon has a history of overpaying players he likes and it'd only be for one year (hopefully).

That's looking a little far ahead. Theo will likely retire after next year and there's no telling whether Clemmenson was a flash in the pan this year.

Dread Clawz 05-16-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Panther (Post 49783877)
I know its not a popular opinion around here, but I think we should seriously consider trading with LA for Bernier. He has only one more year on their contract and Im sure he will walk away because Quick is such a stud. We can bring him in and extend his contract. Let him back up Theo and then the following year he and Markstrom get to fight for the job. The loser gets traded.

Why? It would cost to much to acquire Bernier. It's not like he could be had for a 4th round pick or something, we'd have to ship a nice package of futures their way.

FlaPnthrsPunk 05-16-2012 06:37 PM

As much as I really want to see him with the big club because I personally feel that he is ready to make the jump, I have a ton of trust in Tallon and Santos. If they feel that he's not fully ready to make the big jump and needs another season in San Antonio, then I'd be ok with it. Clemmensen impressed me enough this past season that he is a terrific backup to Theodore and can be depended on most of the time when called upon. Still, I can't be a bit nervous about how this might affect Markstrom's future with the team and how his knee is developing. After next season though, no doubt he has to make his break to the NHL. I feel like we've been waiting for that moment for too long now.

Panteras 05-16-2012 08:04 PM

what's the point of this?

Slick Cat 05-16-2012 08:17 PM

This makes no sense whatsoever. Even if they sign Clemmer, which is no guarantee, him and Theo have shown that they get injured plenty so Markstrom will be needed anyway. In a sport where Holtby just showed that a rookie goalie can carry a team, and countless other examples over the years of goalies flourishing in their rookie seasons (Brodeur, Roy, Dryden, etc....), why would we baby Markstrom. He clearly showed last year that he belonged. I would argue that him at his best, even with a very small sample last year, was better than Theo or Clemmer at their best. He needs to play now, anything less would be a mistake. Not sure why Santos would even open his nouth now anyway. Even if this was his plan, which is questionable, he is giving Clemmer more contract leverage.

jol 05-16-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk (Post 49788087)
If they feel that he's not fully ready to make the big jump and needs another season in San Antonio, then I'd be ok with it. Clemmensen impressed me enough this past season that he is a terrific backup to Theodore and can be depended on most of the time when called upon. Still, I can't be a bit nervous about how this might affect Markstrom's future with the team and how his knee is developing.

Ok, what about the following scenario, Clemmensen gets new contract (one or multiyear), then comes lockout (NHL announced today?? they would like to have a new CBA). Markstrom would have to play in San Antonio anyways, but then after lockout (one season), contract situation is following: Theo one year left, Clemmensen one or multiyears left, Markstrom RFA. Trades or Markstrom playing 4th year in minors?

JOL

Takkie 05-16-2012 08:22 PM

I think it's the right move. Goalies tend to get into their prime later than others.No need to burn him out as long as we have some decent vets.

Knightmare 05-16-2012 08:52 PM

The title of the thread is misleading...just because Santos "would like" to see Markstrom in the A another year, doesn't mean that's going to happen. It's Tallon's decision. The article also states Santos would have liked Kulikov to spend more time in the ahl as well...

If we do send Markie back, I really hope he doesn't feel disrespected...

Laus723 05-16-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick Cat (Post 49793867)
This makes no sense whatsoever. Even if they sign Clemmer, which is no guarantee, him and Theo have shown that they get injured plenty so Markstrom will be needed anyway. In a sport where Holtby just showed that a rookie goalie can carry a team, and countless other examples over the years of goalies flourishing in their rookie seasons (Brodeur, Roy, Dryden, etc....), why would we baby Markstrom. He clearly showed last year that he belonged. I would argue that him at his best, even with a very small sample last year, was better than Theo or Clemmer at their best. He needs to play now, anything less would be a mistake. Not sure why Santos would even open his nouth now anyway. Even if this was his plan, which is questionable, he is giving Clemmer more contract leverage.

And for those guys mentioned, there are those who didn't make it. We're rushed or never lied to expectations.

Markstrom didn't look too terrific in his callup this season. Had a bad injury, but did put it together late. Tallon knows how to best handle Markstrom and the other kids. He'll do what he thinks is best, we can rest in that.

Bure1096 05-16-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 49797337)
And for those guys mentioned, there are those who didn't make it. We're rushed or never lied to expectations.

Markstrom didn't look too terrific in his callup this season.

the game he played in Montreal disagrees with you. He played very well when called upon and I would still rather have him and theo going into next season. I still don't trust clemmer, especially in a contract year.

Laus723 05-16-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bure1096 (Post 49797707)
the game he played in Montreal disagrees with you. He played very well when called upon and I would still rather have him and theo going into next season. I still don't trust clemmer, especially in a contract year.

Tampa game he didn't, that was a rough game by everyone though. Again, I'll trust the powers that be on this. He had another knee injury, they could be just being cautious.

Bure1096 05-16-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 49798269)
Tampa game he didn't, that was a rough game by everyone though. Again, I'll trust the powers that be on this. He had another knee injury, they could be just being cautious.

Just researched the highlights of that game, it was brutal. I hope he's worked on his rebound control... Alas, I hope tallon does what's right for the org. I just have a feeling we aren't going to see Marky in a panthers jersey for very long.

ShootIt 05-16-2012 09:16 PM

I have no problem seeing us bring in competition for the #2 spot. However, do not want to see Markstrom outplay the second guy but gO to the ahl due to a 1 way contract.