HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Blocked shots phase (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1191387)

Master Shake 05-16-2012 06:39 PM

Blocked shots phase

cant wait to watch people trying to block Joe Morrows shots

canadianguy77 05-16-2012 07:08 PM

Wat?

Crafton 05-16-2012 07:09 PM

word we'll see how eager the rangers are to drop down and take a Morrow howitzer to the face.

wej20 05-16-2012 07:22 PM

Callahan blocked a Chara shot so he'll manage.

Master Shake 05-16-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianguy77 (Post 49789151)
Wat?

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...oe_morrow.html

Master Shake 05-16-2012 07:26 PM

Skates like Paul Coffey, contender for hardest shot, will drop the gloves. If he has any clue who to play defense this team has another Norris contender. Cant wait. I think he makes the team this year

cassius 05-16-2012 07:28 PM

I'm watching the Rangers / Devils game and there's some really weird thing going on right now where all the forwards/defenseman think they are goalies. Do you guyz know wats going on? :confused:

Master Shake 05-16-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassius (Post 49790377)
I'm watching the Rangers / Devils game and there's some really weird thing going on right now where all the forwards/defenseman think they are goalies. Do you guyz know wats going on? :confused:

The league needs to ban shot blocking gear from non goalies.

other than that Id love to find a way to reduce blocks but not sure how you do it. Maybe a zone like the crease but expanded where shots can be blocked and after that not allow except on the pk

i hate punishing the guys who are true shot blockers but something has to be done to cut down the amount going on these days as its getting out of hand

GlenngarryGlencross 05-16-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Shake (Post 49803577)
The league needs to ban shot blocking gear from non goalies.

other than that Id love to find a way to reduce blocks but not sure how you do it. Maybe a zone like the crease but expanded where shots can be blocked and after that not allow except on the pk

i hate punishing the guys who are true shot blockers but something has to be done to cut down the amount going on these days as its getting out of hand

Going all out to block shots in a tight playoff game is not a new phenomena, nor should it be restricted. If forwards and defensemen are willing to lay their bodies on the line and pay the price then so be it. That's kinda what made Gill-Scuderi so effective during the Cup runs - penalty killing and shot blocking.

DegenX 05-16-2012 10:56 PM

Interesting thought from Puck Daddy's Greg Wyshynski:

Quote:

Greg Wyshynski ‏@wyshynski
See, right there: If you're looking for a practical rules change for shot-blocking, make blocks over the glass in D zone a delay of game.

Master Shake 05-16-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Ed (Post 49803945)
Going all out to block shots in a tight playoff game is not a new phenomena, nor should it be restricted. If forwards and defensemen are willing to lay their bodies on the line and pay the price then so be it. That's kinda what made Gill-Scuderi so effective during the Cup runs - penalty killing and shot blocking.

Ive been watching the NHL for over 30 years. Trust me, its alot heavier than its ever been.

If this trend grows it will need to be controlled. Its like watching goalie armor swell up.

Shady Machine 05-17-2012 08:39 AM

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...t-problem.html

Tasty Biscuits 05-17-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DegenX (Post 49804311)
Interesting thought from Puck Daddy's Greg Wyshynski:

That's just awful.

Darth Vitale 05-17-2012 09:58 AM

The Two Joes will lead the Penguins to the land of Victory.

Said it before, will say it again. Joe Morrow has a legitimate shot of making this team at some point during the next season. I say do it. If he can play responsibly the rest will take care of itself. Let's see if we can get Capt. Giroux to block one of his shots. Only bad thing is no video of the shattering goalie mask. :yo:

Homeland Security 05-17-2012 12:32 PM

I don't think the league can do much to prevent blocked shots. Its always been a part of the game. You can't regulate everything. You put in place a policy to stop blocked shots, next thing you know its the trap that gets a policy, and it just spirals from there.

Shady Machine 05-17-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Shake (Post 49804977)
Ive been watching the NHL for over 30 years. Trust me, its alot heavier than its ever been.

If this trend grows it will need to be controlled. Its like watching goalie armor swell up.

And what do you propose Master Shake? There really isn't much they can do other than force equipment companies to make worse protecting equipment.

ColePens 05-17-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct (Post 49822011)
I don't think the league can do much to prevent blocked shots. Its always been a part of the game. You can't regulate everything. You put in place a policy to stop blocked shots, next thing you know its the trap that gets a policy, and it just spirals from there.

The easiest thing to do - make the freaking ice bigger. There is so much space on the international level that it isn't an issue. The dumb pundits saying "Make a shot block going over the glass a penalty" couldn't be further off the trail.

ManInTheBox 05-17-2012 01:38 PM

They're never going to get rid of all of those seats. You know that Cole. We're lucky fans aren't aloud to sit in the penalty box. Makes me sick.

cassius 05-17-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct (Post 49822011)

Cmon - it's much worse today than ever. I watched the Rangers/Devils game last night and 90% of the time there were 4 Rangers crowding around Lundqvist trying to take up space. The game has definitely changed to a more shot-blocking oriented one over a skill one.

When you dig up old footage from the early 90's or mid 90's, you simply don't see that attention towards shot-blocking / clogging up shooting lanes. For me, it definitely has an impact on the on-ice product when forwards are essentially reduced to playing goal at all times.

I hope the league can step in and make some rule changes, but like you said it's such a tough thing to regulate.

UnderratedBrooks44 05-17-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColePens (Post 49824089)
The easiest thing to do - make the freaking ice bigger. There is so much space on the international level that it isn't an issue. The dumb pundits saying "Make a shot block going over the glass a penalty" couldn't be further off the trail.

Making the ice bigger would solve most of the problems the league has on the ice in my opinion. How is the delay of game thing dumb though? I mean yeah it's a silly way to curb shot blocking but if people want less blocked shots.....

In general I'm glad it's becoming cool to say that the game's flow is getting bogged down. Up until this thread if you suggested any change whatsoever it was just "ZOMG u only lyke GOALS!!!1111"

Shady Machine 05-17-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 (Post 49825707)
Making the ice bigger would solve most of the problems the league has on the ice in my opinion. How is the delay of game thing dumb though? I mean yeah it's a silly way to curb shot blocking but if people want less blocked shots.....

In general I'm glad it's becoming cool to say that the game's flow is getting bogged down. Up until this thread if you suggested any change whatsoever it was just "ZOMG u only lyke GOALS!!!1111"

It's dumb because that basically means you can't defend the puck. How many times do you see a dman put his stick on the puck and it ramps off into the netting? A lot. What constitutes a block vs an inadvertent deflection? There are too many unintended consequences of that rule.

UnderratedBrooks44 05-17-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shady Machine (Post 49825835)
It's dumb because that basically means you can't defend the puck. How many times do you see a dman put his stick on the puck and it ramps off into the netting? A lot. What constitutes a block vs an inadvertent deflection? There are too many unintended consequences of that rule.

Ha yeah you're right for some reason I was only thinking of body blocks.

Shady Machine 05-17-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColePens (Post 49824089)

I'm all for making the ice bigger. I just don't see it happening due to seating concerns.

UnderratedBrooks44 05-17-2012 02:17 PM

I totally see why people are pessimistic about them taking out seats, but I truly don't know what the big deal is. You know if all the owners had a gun to their heads and had to remove a row of seats they'd just make up the difference by upping the price of the rest of the seats.

Shady Machine 05-17-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 (Post 49826131)
I totally see why people are pessimistic about them taking out seats, but I truly don't know what the big deal is. You know if all the owners had a gun to their heads and had to remove a row of seats they'd just make up the difference by upping the price of the rest of the seats.

Making it more difficult for some markets to put fans in the seats. Ultimately, I'm for making the ice bigger. However, as a fan, Penguins tickets are already at the top of my budget. I mean, 2 tickets to sit in the top row for 150? That's pretty steep for a city like Pittsburgh.