HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Anaheim Ducks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   AHL Affiliate Discussion: Norfolk Admirals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1191615)

James Franco 05-17-2012 03:21 AM

AHL Affiliate Discussion: Norfolk Admirals

What are the chances that the Ducks are affiliated with Syracuse next season? If not would the Ducks be able to get another AHL team?

DuckJet 05-17-2012 03:25 AM

Syracuse? Just a little more than zero. I heard Norfolk is next in line.

Kalvinators 05-17-2012 03:33 AM

Yeah it wouldnt hurt to get to know a little more about that.

But i`m sure nothing will be known before AHL season is over.

Any other rumors beside Norfolk? Should have to know little bit more about that team.

Paul4587 05-17-2012 04:52 AM

San Antonio was also a possibility wasn't it?

randyc 05-17-2012 09:51 AM

What We Know Here

I am a Norfolk Admirals season ticket holder.

Our 5 year affiliation agreement with the Bolts will expire after this season. Throughout the year the Bolts were happy in Norfolk with the exception of the long travel to away games. The team traveled by bus to all the away games except for St. Johns, Newfoundland. The nearest opponent in our division is a 6 hour bus ride and 10-14 hour drives have happened. The Bolts claim this takes away from their practice time and is too tiring. The Bolts want to move more to the North with shorter traveling distances. Despite all of this we had a 55-18-1-2 record, the best in the league to include a 28 game winning streak.

IMO you can forget Syracuse. You were in the option year of the agreement which allowed either side to opt out of the agreement. The Crunch opted out and the Crunch owner was quoted saying he already had a deal in place for a different affiliate.

IMO Florida will stay in San Antonio. They found success there and the Panthers are playing a preseason game in San Antonio next Fall.

Ken Young the owner of the Admirals has confirmed talked with the Ducks. He also is still talking to the Bolts and one other un-named team. If the Bolts were going to stay in Norfolk, it would have been announced long ago.

Recent developments have occured. The Caps who have their affiliation agreement in Hershey have not gotten an agreement in place yet. Hershey is one of the most successful franchises in the AHL. They average 9000 a game. They are located very close to Washington, D.C. The renewal of this affiliation agreement to me would have been a no brainer and the fact it's dragging out like Norfolk's is not good. They are in negotiations now.

Right now as I see it, you won't be in Syracuse. Norfolk is your most likely destination unless the Caps decide they'd prefer Norfolk to Hershey. Then I think you would be affiliated with Hershey.

BTW, amongst us AHL'ers, this time of the year is called the Silly Season. From what I posted above you can see why.

GreatBear 05-17-2012 02:07 PM

The Syracuse owner has already opted out of the relationship with the Ducks, so I think that the chance of going back is about 0.0000001%. Since there are 30 AHL teams, the Ducks will end up with one of them. I agree that Norfolk is the most likely, but even if it is not, the Ducks will end up somewhere.

davidy2d 05-17-2012 02:17 PM

Sure am missing Portland.

randyc 05-17-2012 02:56 PM

Timing

If the Ducks are to move to Norfolk and the Bolts to Syracuse, do not expect an announcement until the Norfolk season is over. And tonight is Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Finals. Could be a week from now or sometime in June.

TheFlyingV 05-17-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidy2d (Post 49826105)
Sure am missing Portland.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Iowa_Chops.svg

KelVarnsen 05-17-2012 03:22 PM

Thanks for the info Randy. It sure does seem like the "silly season" as you say.

DuckJet 05-17-2012 03:26 PM

Norfolk wouldn't be bad considering how far the currently are in the playoffs. I'd like the Ducks to affiliate themselves with the Las Vegas Wranglers (currently unaffiliated). I have no idea why we have an ECHL affiliate all the way in New York.

parrosfan16 05-17-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 49829245)
Norfolk wouldn't be bad considering how far the currently are in the playoffs. I'd like the Ducks to affiliate themselves with the Las Vegas Wranglers (currently unaffiliated). I have no idea why we have an ECHL affiliate all the way in New York.

Umm.... because it was an hour or two away from our AHL affiliate.

Sojourn 05-17-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 49829245)

Why would we want the ECHL team close to Anaheim? It would feed into our AHL affiliate.

DuckJet 05-17-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sojourn (Post 49831329)
Why would we want the ECHL team close to Anaheim? It would feed into our AHL affiliate.

Just so I can watch our bottom tier prospects :sarcasm::naughty:

Paul4587 05-17-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckJet (Post 49832425)
Just so I can watch our bottom tier prospects :sarcasm::naughty:

I hear Josh Brittain is a thrill to watch live.

Didn't Craig Rivet play for our ECHL affiliate this season?

DuckJet 05-17-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul4587 (Post 49833025)
I hear Josh Brittain is a thrill to watch live.

Didn't Craig Rivet play for our ECHL affiliate this season?

I think so.

I went to a Wranglers-Everblades game and saw Justin Shugg. Former teammate of Cam Fowler in Windsor and Smith Pelly in Mississauga. Wranglers got **** on 7-2.

DuckTech 05-17-2012 08:31 PM

I would love for the wranglers to be our ECHL and San Antonio our AHL, but this is purely for selfish reasons, I am in Vegas once or twice a month and have gone to a number of wranglers games and I have friends in San Antonio that I would love to visit too! All that aside I hear that Norfolk is very likely to be our AHL team next year...and you know what, I am really ok with this too.

crunchrulz 05-19-2012 09:00 AM

We have not heard anything here in Syracuse for the past few weeks. Since the Crunch management had all jerseys, t-shirts, etc that were related to the Ducks on sale at the end of the season, it is probably safe to say the Ducks-Crunch relationship is over.
I am going to have to agree with David about Portland. That Ducks farm was a force and was a team that always played hard and was well coached.
As for silly season, it keeps things interesting for those cities who are out of the playoffs.

Exit Dose 05-21-2012 07:32 PM

Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh

Not yet but probably soon. Norfolk is the favorite. Tampa will move to SYR. @CTDucksFan any word on a new #Ducks AHL affiliate?

randyc 05-23-2012 10:56 AM

News

There had been some rumors that Washington was not totally happy in Hershey. And the negotiations had been dragging on which fueled speculation that the Caps could be in the mix along with the Ducks and Bolts. Most rumors had the Caps coming to Norfolk, Bolts to Syracuse and the Ducks to Hershey.

Well, you can forget all of that now. The Caps and Hershey renewed their affiliation deal for 2 years which was announced today.

So it looks as if we are down to what the Bolts decide to do, stay in or leave Norfolk. And I am sure there will be no announcement until after the playoffs are over and BTW, the Admirals are playing for the Calder Cup against either Oklahoma City or Toronto. So it will be sometime in June.

Kalvinators 05-23-2012 04:06 PM

So i think it will be with Norfolk :)

What could be the lenght? 2? 3?

randyc 05-24-2012 03:39 PM

Agreement Length

I think the folks in Norfolk would prefer a 3 year agreement with an option year. A number of fans here are concerned that the Ducks ultimate goal is to get a West Coast AHL division started and a short deal in Norfolk would fuel that feeling.

I am not familiar with what the Ducks standard practice is regarding affiliation agreement length. IIRC, I thought they had a 2 year deal in Syracuse with an option year coming up this year. That's what Dolgon exercised to opt out of the agreement with the Ducks.

GreatBear 05-24-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyc (Post 50104823)
I think the folks in Norfolk would prefer a 3 year agreement with an option year. A number of fans here are concerned that the Ducks ultimate goal is to get a West Coast AHL division started and a short deal in Norfolk would fuel that feeling.

I am not familiar with what the Ducks standard practice is regarding affiliation agreement length. IIRC, I thought they had a 2 year deal in Syracuse with an option year coming up this year. That's what Dolgon exercised to opt out of the agreement with the Ducks.

Even if you count the two Texas teams and the Oklahoma team as part of a 'West Coast' division along with Abbotsford, the Ducks would still need at least two or three additional teams, probably at least two of LA, San Jose and Vancouver, to move with them to the West to form a viable West Coast division. There is no reason for an East Coast NHL team to have a West Coast AHL team.

I don't think that the moves necessary for West Coast AHL hockey are going to happen, or if it does, not for a number of years. I would love to have AHL hockey out here in the West, but I don't think that it is realistic in the near future.

I suspect that the Ducks will want a two year contract with a third year option to be exercised by either Norfolk or the Ducks, just as they had in Syracuse.

TheFlyingV 05-24-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyc (Post 50104823)

Are AHL fans really concerned with stability with their NHL partner?

Ducks DVM 05-24-2012 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFlyingV (Post 50107625)
Are AHL fans really concerned with stability with their NHL partner?

You'd think they would be. People like cheering for players, not just teams. Stability means you get at least some familiarity with the players, where you're at least watching a gradual turnover as a farm team rather than wholesale changes every 2-3 years. Plus you can watch the players you'd liked on the same NHL team.

Granted if your NHL team was horrible with prospects that could be a different matter....