HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   FW Komets - so long CHL, hello ECHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1191969)

LadyStanley 05-17-2012 05:12 PM

FW Komets - so long CHL, hello ECHL

http://www.echl.com/expansion-member...-wayne-p177542

ECHL announces expansion membership for Fort Wayne Komets.

No Fun Shogun 05-17-2012 05:55 PM

No shocker, but another body blow to the CHL.

Gearhead82 05-17-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 49834491)

More like a shot to the jaw. two teams fold and two jump to another league one of them being your "league champion." not looking good for CHL.

worstfaceoffmanever 05-17-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun (Post 49834491)

Evansville is a body blow. Fort Wayne is a haymaker square in the nose.

The CHL is staggered: one more good punch and it's down for the count. The Texas and Oklahoma teams would make a nice sixth division for the ECHL if they wanted to join whole-hog. Rapid City and Missouri would probably both be good fits in the USHL if they wanted to get out of professional hockey. Bloomington is likely toast, not sure about Quad Cities.

Then there's Arizona. Who knows what could happen with them.

SFTC Addict 05-18-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 49845461)
Evansville is a body blow. Fort Wayne is a haymaker square in the nose.

The CHL is staggered: one more good punch and it's down for the count. The Texas and Oklahoma teams would make a nice sixth division for the ECHL if they wanted to join whole-hog. Rapid City and Missouri would probably both be good fits in the USHL if they wanted to get out of professional hockey. Bloomington is likely toast, not sure about Quad Cities.

Then there's Arizona. Who knows what could happen with them.

In all honesty where does the madness end with expansion??? The ECHL if they don't watch out is going to become too big to tame.

huber14 05-18-2012 10:25 AM

Ft. Wayne isn't going to like this. They have some hardcore fans and won't be happy when the fights gets broken up.

pelts35.com 05-18-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Men Rule (Post 49852003)
In all honesty where does the madness end with expansion??? The ECHL if they don't watch out is going to become too big to tame.

I said it to you in the other thread and I'll say it again here, adding financially healthy franchises can only help the ECHL, not hurt it.

Slowe 05-18-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Men Rule (Post 49852003)

How much is this really expanding though? I believe the ECHL allows fewer vets, so you'll need a few more younger kids on these new teams. San Francisco and Orlando though I understand. Now you have to pull together players from who knows where and hope you can make a team out of it. But won't a lot of players from Forth Wayne and Evansville simply be just switching from one league to another?

I'm all for it. Standardization of systems, shared infrastructure, and more teams to play. Why have teams geographically close to one another, but NEVER play each other because they are in different leagues? It's all AA, so why wouldn't you want to play as many close rivals and cut down on travel costs?

SFTC Addict 05-18-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slowe (Post 49861609)
How much is this really expanding though? I believe the ECHL allows fewer vets, so you'll need a few more younger kids on these new teams. San Francisco and Orlando though I understand. Now you have to pull together players from who knows where and hope you can make a team out of it. But won't a lot of players from Forth Wayne and Evansville simply be just switching from one league to another?

I'm all for it. Standardization of systems, shared infrastructure, and more teams to play. Why have teams geographically close to one another, but NEVER play each other because they are in different leagues? It's all AA, so why wouldn't you want to play as many close rivals and cut down on travel costs?

Just who may I ask is Ft. Wayne close to aside from Evansville and Kalamazoo? Possible Cincy???(Just a guess)

Depends on how the rosters were built. You can only have 4 vets. Plus it depends on affiliations. I hear FW is going independent, Don't know about Evansville but you usually get some AHL Contracted guys sent down so that will weed out a couple spots for returns.

SFTC Addict 05-18-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huber14 (Post 49858145)
Ft. Wayne isn't going to like this. They have some hardcore fans and won't be happy when the fights gets broken up.

Not many fights in this league anymore.

dlocal 05-18-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Men Rule (Post 49868705)
Just who may I ask is Ft. Wayne close to aside from Evansville and Kalamazoo? Possible Cincy???(Just a guess)

Toledo.

Slowe 05-18-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

OK so let's ignore Evansville because presumably they were going to stick with Fort Wayne wherever they played. Dayton folded, so they are out of the CHL.

Close teams in the CHL = Quad Cities and Bloomington. If I recall, wasn't it questionable that either one of them would even start the season? And one of Bloomington's owners bailed half way through the season. If one or both of these teams go it screws the teams in Indiana.

Close teams in the ECHL = Toledo, Cincy, Kalamazoo, and Wheeling. I'll give you that Wheeling could be in trouble.

Teams to play if you're willing to travel = 8 for the ECHL (northeast and southeast) and 9 for the CHL (Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas area). Throw in the 9 on the west coast for the ECHL if you want, but I don't think cross divisional play happens often.

So the ECHL is a better fit for sure, even if not by a whole lot. I think it's a matter of minimizing risk.

Scoutin1 05-18-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rivermenfan91 (Post 49834715)
one of them being your "league champion." not looking good for CHL.

And this will be the second consecutive year that the CHL has seen their Miron Cup Champion not back to defend their title. That's got to sting a little.

Scoutin1 05-18-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huber14 (Post 49858145)

I don't believe that will be the case. I think that there will be hardcore fans that won't be happy if lessened fighting is met with increased cheap shots (because the game isn't allowed to police itself) and poor officiating of those acts.

desert dawg 05-18-2012 08:47 PM

Phpa

Whatever happened to the issue regarding the Frankes not wanting to have a team if it meant its players were in a union?? I thought the ECHL players were in the PHPA, and the Central League were not organized.

SFTC Addict 05-18-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desert dawg (Post 49877707)
Whatever happened to the issue regarding the Frankes not wanting to have a team if it meant its players were in a union?? I thought the ECHL players were in the PHPA, and the Central League were not organized.

The CHL is in the PHPA now. They mended fences...apparently.

SFTC Addict 05-18-2012 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scoutin1 (Post 49872439)
I don't believe that will be the case. I think that there will be hardcore fans that won't be happy if lessened fighting is met with increased cheap shots (because the game isn't allowed to police itself) and poor officiating of those acts.

This happens quite often.

LadyStanley 05-18-2012 11:29 PM

PHPA represents players in the AHL, ECHL and CHL (last I checked).

GwtGlads2013 05-19-2012 09:32 PM

Welcome to the ECHL Ft. Wayne.

worstfaceoffmanever 05-21-2012 08:41 AM

Quote:

Cincinnati, Toledo, and Kalamazoo are within 200 miles. Evansville is about 300 miles away. That's probably a division, or they might toss Trenton, Reading, and Wheeling in there, too, if Elmira doesn't come back.

I think the ECHL is trying to become a 1:1 AA league with the NHL. They're going to lose plenty of teams to attrition along the way, so getting established clubs like Fort Wayne and Evansville and Colorado is a huge boost. Now we'll just have to see if Orlando and San Francisco both stick.

HansH 05-21-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 49951833)
Now we'll just have to see if Orlando and San Francisco both stick.

Just a SWAG here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see SF as one and done (like Chicago/Hoffman Estates), and Orlando to stick around at least two seasons -- we'll see how the market responds to the competition level and ticket prices. I did quite enjoy the NHL pre-season game I saw in the Magic's arena (that the Solar Bears will play in), I have to say.

Avsrule2002 05-21-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Men Rule (Post 49880659)
This happens quite often.

From what I experienced last year, there were a few less fights than in the CHL, but there were also a lot less cheap shots. Maybe thats just the West?

SFTC Addict 05-21-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avsrule2002 (Post 49959887)
From what I experienced last year, there were a few less fights than in the CHL, but there were also a lot less cheap shots. Maybe thats just the West?

Maybe. Your teams are somewhat older.

SFTC Addict 05-21-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever (Post 49951833)
Cincinnati, Toledo, and Kalamazoo are within 200 miles. Evansville is about 300 miles away. That's probably a division, or they might toss Trenton, Reading, and Wheeling in there, too, if Elmira doesn't come back.

I think the ECHL is trying to become a 1:1 AA league with the NHL. They're going to lose plenty of teams to attrition along the way, so getting established clubs like Fort Wayne and Evansville and Colorado is a huge boost. Now we'll just have to see if Orlando and San Francisco both stick.

Division Alignment is already out:

http://www.evansvilleicemen.com/3918...ague-alignment

As suspected your in the North. Wheeling stays in Atlantic.

Is Evansville really all that stable or are they just capitalizing off of novelty??? They couldn't even sellout every game @ Swonder a couple years ago.