HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Speculation: Should Tambellini be fired? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1192293)

oilersfan11 05-18-2012 08:10 AM

Should Tambellini be fired?

Should Tambellini be let go of his duties after 3 years of having the first overall pick?

Jimmi Jenkins 05-18-2012 08:13 AM

This will go well, I can see alot of frank, reasonable discussion here.

I'll say yes because that's what the group think will come up with.

joestevens29 05-18-2012 08:14 AM

I say no. We are going into year 3 of his plan. This is his make it or break it year.

flashy 05-18-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joestevens29 (Post 49854955)
I say no. We are going into year 3 of his plan. This is his make it or break it year.

30th, 30th, 29th, ....

CornKicker 05-18-2012 08:21 AM

my vote is that this is his final offseason to aquire and move who we need to hit the next level of compete. that is hitting the 5-8 range and making the playoffs. If by christmas this team doesnt appear to be headed that way then i say ST is shown the door. He has had ample time to make changes but hasnt had the assets to do so. IMO he has enough now to make the moves needed to create a contending team.

final vote ST has till christmas to show the team in on the up

CupofOil 05-18-2012 08:31 AM

Why fire him now? He was brought in to build the team from the ground up and that's exactly what he's doing.
I don't know what you guys expected but i expected the team to be pretty bad over this 3 year period, maybe not as bad as 30,30 and 29th place but not much better plus we ended up with Hall, RNH and hopefully Yakupov so it's not all bad.

I always thought that '12-'13 was the year to compete for a playoff spot so i would really like to see Tambellini make some real live significant moves this offseason, no more Sutton, Potter, Barker type moves. If he makes only minor moves and somehow thinks that a new coach will cure all the teams' ills then i will really start to question his sanity.

Beerfish 05-18-2012 08:37 AM

This would have been a better poll at the end of the season. Now it is totally pointless because he is not going to be fired.

The one thing that bringing a new coach in does however is put Tambellini firmly in the cross hairs if the team does not make the big next step.

MeestaDeteta 05-18-2012 08:43 AM

Yes, if we fired our coach because we want more accountability with our players the same should be done with our management.

Also, now that we have assets to fill some of our voids on this team, I want a GM who has the balls to make some gutsy moves and trades. Tambellini just doesn't seem cut out for making decisions that involve any type of risk.

Gone 05-18-2012 09:07 AM

Yes, and KLowe too; the rebuild didn't go far enough leaving the old boy in place, as he was the architect of this disaster, and quite clearly is the one pulling the puppet strings.

The biggest problem with the organization is top down, attitude or arrogance, which is reflected in how they handle coaches, players, and training staff. This has been evident ever since KLowe arrived in the organization, and first surfaced during the first Comrie trade. NHL agents and players see this, and IMO is a big reason more UFA's have not shown interest in the team

The second problem is a lack of clear vision of how this rebuild should go. The modern NHL demands you have a big, durable, gritty, in your face club; but we have a smattering of in fill players of that ilk, mixed with the obvious 1st overall picks and a tendancy to draft/sign whoever fills the hole of the moment.

The third problem is an inability to judge active talent. Khabi and Bellanger are prime examples of over rating a players ability. This further results in a clear loss on the trade floor more often than not. Stoll/Greene -> Vishnovsky -> Whitney is an example.

The fouth problem is overpaying - mismanaging contracts. Horcoff (need I say more).

We desperately need a new Pres/Vp Hockey Operations that understands the buisness better than an old boy with a too oft concussed attitude; and a new GM. The coach and the players have been paying the price for the mistakes at the top for too long.

Jimmi Jenkins 05-18-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gone (Post 49856051)
Yes, and KLowe too; the rebuild didn't go far enough leaving the old boy in place, as he was the architect of this disaster, and quite clearly is the one pulling the puppet strings.

The biggest problem with the organization is top down, attitude or arrogance, which is reflected in how they handle coaches, players, and training staff. This has been evident ever since KLowe arrived in the organization, and first surfaced during the first Comrie trade. NHL agents and players see this, and IMO is a big reason more UFA's have not shown interest in the team

The second problem is a lack of clear vision of how this rebuild should go. The modern NHL demands you have a big, durable, gritty, in your face club; but we have a smattering of in fill players of that ilk, mixed with the obvious 1st overall picks and a tendancy to draft/sign whoever fills the hole of the moment.

The third problem is an inability to judge active talent. Khabi and Bellanger are prime examples of over rating a players ability. This further results in a clear loss on the trade floor more often than not. Stoll/Greene -> Vishnovsky -> Whitney is an example.

The fouth problem is overpaying - mismanaging contracts. Horcoff (need I say more).

We desperately need a new Pres/Vp Hockey Operations that understands the buisness better than an old boy with a too oft concussed attitude; and a new GM. The coach and the players have been paying the price for the mistakes at the top for too long.

Always amazes me how much you dislike this franchise on the whole

So just one example of a bad contract? That's actually not bad.

Because they haven't told you their "vision" means they don't have a plan then?

Kamus 05-18-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 49856175)

Their plan is to bring in mediocre players?

Just what has the current managment done to show you in the last 5 years that they are capable of building a good team?

Also at the beginning of the season I'm sure they said part of the plan was to compete for a playoff spot, well they failed misearably.

I guess it was the coaches fault, he just couldn't get enough out of good players like Barker.

Yes bring in a new coach (the third in four years under Tambellini) that will solve all the problems.

dustrock 05-18-2012 09:25 AM

You know, for overall timing, I'd give him 1 more year.

But I'm pretty tired of the bad press/weird stuff that has happened on his watch.

Souray, Brule/Fraser, PRV call-up, Renney firing. Heatley video.

hfboardsuser 05-18-2012 09:27 AM

----

Gord 05-18-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilersfan11 (Post 49854893)
Should Tambellini be let go of his duties after 3 years of having the first overall pick?

good question, easy answer.

YES!

copperandblue 05-18-2012 09:29 AM

The firing of Renney re-confirms that this team was supposed to be a lot better than it was last season.

Looking at the roster they iced, how many of those players should/will be here when this ship finally gets righted?

Depending on how you answer that, I would think the answer lies in that little exercise.

For me that team is no where near good enough and that team is this GM's vision...'nough said.

Dorian2 05-18-2012 09:41 AM

I think you have to be a fairly patient person to agree that Tambi should stay. I'm one of those people.

This year is, as far as my patience goes, the hallmark year to get something done regarding standings. We'll have a good idea of where Tambo is going around July 1st till the end of July. I think he actually has a vision of where we have to be this year, but only good signings will tell.

One of the biggest signings this year is going to be the new Head Coach title. I know it's another thread, but I believe Sutter is one of the best possibilities out there, for a number of reasons. I also like and appreciate the job Renney did, but it is time to move forward again.

Regarding Tambo, although he has blundered on a couple of signings in the past coupl;e of years, we cannot and should not overlook what he has done with the organizational depth and restructering of the AHL affiliate, and ECHL affiliate. OKC has a pretty good team down there, and it looks much more promising than what the Oilers had in the past regarding the minor league affiliates.

ponokanocker 05-18-2012 09:49 AM

I firmly believe that after the collapse and drafting Hall, it was this teams goal to tank for high draft picks for at least a couple of more years. I think Katz was on board with this in order to obtain high end talent to be able to challenge for a cup one day. Tanking was the easy part, not comes the hard part of getting the proper pieces in place to start to contend.
I think Hall showed at the end of the season that he has had enough of losing and rightly so. If they want to tank again this year, I think it is a mistake but once again, I think this will be a decision from Katz, Lowe and Tambo. How does Katz fire a guy for doing exactly what he asked him to do? If anything, Oilers fans need to be upset with Katz if this continues on. Tambo can't go out and sign high priced guys if his boss is saying he won't agree to it.
A lot of this depends on what moves Tambo tries to do until the start of next season. I think that will be the clear indicator of the direction that Katz wants to go. If we are back here again next year after Tambo has made a lot of moves to make them better, I think he should be fired then for being a failure. Firing him at the end of this season when I think he succeeded in what he was asked to do makes no sense. What were people expecting when their key moves involved bringing in an old Ryan Smyth, Sutton and Barker?

Reimer 05-18-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PACKY D ELEPHANT (Post 49855007)
30th, 30th, 29th, ....

The first year didn't count because Steve needed a whole year to evaluate.

Reimer 05-18-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponokanocker (Post 49857189)
I firmly believe that after the collapse and drafting Hall, it was this teams goal to tank for high draft picks for at least a couple of more years. I think Katz was on board with this in order to obtain high end talent to be able to challenge for a cup one day. Tanking was the easy part, not comes the hard part of getting the proper pieces in place to start to contend.
I think Hall showed at the end of the season that he has had enough of losing and rightly so. If they want to tank again this year, I think it is a mistake but once again, I think this will be a decision from Katz, Lowe and Tambo. How does Katz fire a guy for doing exactly what he asked him to do? If anything, Oilers fans need to be upset with Katz if this continues on. Tambo can't go out and sign high priced guys if his boss is saying he won't agree to it.

I've also had enough of Hall making stupid decisions and getting injured. If he wants to make a difference he has to stay healthy to be able to contribute. It's great to have fire and passion but you can't do jack all with it if you're sitting in the medical room.

Gone 05-18-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins (Post 49856175)

Why do you follow me around so much and keep telling everyone "how much I dislike this franchise"? Am I not entitled to an opinion without you constantly harassing and baiting me?

Why is every negative post on this board about KLowe, immediately responded by you as a person who "Hates the Organization"?

Why do you continually support your quips with misinformation? One bad contract? Really, just because I give an example of 1? You like the Horcoff, Khabi, Bellanger, Barker, and even Hemsky contracts? Before that Brule, Souray, etc.

Sorry, there is a growing number of 'fans' that see KLowe for what he is, and they have a right to not be stalked and bombarded with your purposeful misinformation.

If you hate me so much, put me on ignore.

5RingsAndABeer 05-18-2012 09:56 AM

He has to demonstrate the ability to acquire supporting pieces to make us a cup contender. He needs to do that this season. I'm my saying that we have to become a cup contender, but we should make significant strides, ideally with significant contributions from a new Tambo acquisition.

Kamus 05-18-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorian2 (Post 49856995)
Regarding Tambo, although he has blundered on a couple of signings in the past coupl;e of years, we cannot and should not overlook what he has done with the organizational depth and restructering of the AHL affiliate, and ECHL affiliate. OKC has a pretty good team down there, and it looks much more promising than what the Oilers had in the past regarding the minor league affiliates.

This is what an assistant g.m. should do and Tambo would probably make a good one.

joestevens29 05-18-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gone (Post 49857363)
Why do you follow me around so much and keep telling everyone "how much I dislike this franchise"? Am I not entitled to an opinion without you constantly harassing and baiting me?

Why is every negative post on this board about KLowe, immediately responded by you as a person who "Hates the Organization"?

Why do you continually support your quips with misinformation? One bad contract? Really, just because I give an example of 1? You like the Horcoff, Khabi, Bellanger, Barker, and even Hemsky contracts? Before that Brule, Souray, etc.

Sorry, there is a growing number of 'fans' that see KLowe for what he is, and they have a right to not be stalked and bombarded with your purposeful misinformation.

If you hate me so much, put me on ignore.

Yet for some reason Hockey Canada turns to him.

rosemount289 05-18-2012 10:14 AM

Said this before.............?

We have said this before..........Tambellini is very slow, methodical in his approach and his decision making process. He is not very decisive like a Brian Burke (not necessay good either)...........but he is a good compliment for Kevin Lowe, who I still believe is pulling the strings........but Tambellini is a good front man for Lowe.

However, we should gave him one more year and if we are not contending for the playoffs until the last day of the season then Lowe and ST should be fired!

Reimer 05-18-2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosemount289 (Post 49857835)
We have said this before..........Tambellini is very slow, methodical in his approach and his decision making process. He is not very decisive like a Brian Burke (not necessay good either)...........but he is a good compliment for Kevin Lowe, who I still believe is pulling the strings........but Tambellini is a good front man for Lowe.

However, we should gave him one more year and if we are not contending for the playoffs until the last day of the season then Lowe and ST should be fired!

Yeah I agree, he is very slow and seems indecisive. Might not be great but I'd rather that the guy is doing very little as opposed to making a move every couple of weeks.