HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Stick Lie Issues (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1192801)

doughmadore 05-19-2012 08:09 AM

Stick Lie Issues

I'm currently using an Easton s19 parise curve and even though I like the shot benefits of the curve I think there's an issue with the lie. I feel that my puckhandling with this curve is terrible and I often seem to lose the puck. I'm thinking it might be the lie. Also, after playing in a game I've notice that my tape is much more worn out near the heel. Is this from shooting from the heel or because the lie is not right? My stick is cut right around the chin (with skates on). Any suggestions? Should I move away from the curve and the 5.5 lie? What kind of lie should I move to?

jazz4all 05-19-2012 09:39 AM

maybe try lower stick height. for me, using 5.5 lie with stick at 2" below the chin. for lie 5 and 5.25, just 1/4" below the chin.

AIREAYE 05-19-2012 11:13 AM

It could be a combination of both, or your technique altogether.

qmechanic 05-19-2012 11:40 AM

How long have you been using that curve?

You can either cut your stick shorter or get a new stick with lower lie (for example, 5).

If you want to try out a bunch of patterns and stick lengths, it might be a good idea to get a two-piece setup, shaft + blade.

doughmadore 05-19-2012 12:04 PM

I've been using it for a few months now. I might take a little bit off it to try to fix this.

Jarick 05-19-2012 12:38 PM

With that curve it's definitely normal to have more wear at the heel, since that's where you do most of your stickhandling and shooting. But if you are missing passes and having puck control issues, that's not good. What were you using before?

doughmadore 05-19-2012 07:07 PM

I was using a rbk crosby curve previously. Let it be noted that I'm a relative newbie (a little over a year in) so my technique might not be the greatest. I feel that I creep into an upright position a bit too often.

I'm not sure I understand some of the suggestions how making the stick shorter will make this better. Won't this make the lie even more heel dominant?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

kr580 05-19-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doughmadore (Post 49909859)
I'm not sure I understand some of the suggestions how making the stick shorter will make this better. Won't this make the lie even more heel dominant?

Grab the stick right now. Hold it normally and then choke up a few inches and see how the blade sits each time. When you go lower down the shaft it rolls the blade (from heel to toe) more towards the toe. In your case it would make the blade sit more flat which is what you want.

Crosbyfan 05-19-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doughmadore (Post 49909859)
I was using a rbk crosby curve previously. Let it be noted that I'm a relative newbie (a little over a year in) so my technique might not be the greatest. I feel that I creep into an upright position a bit too often.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Lengthening will make it more heal dominant (picture using a very long stick)

AIREAYE 05-19-2012 11:30 PM

If he cut it to his chin on skates, I'd be much more inclined to take a look at technique first, then a lower lie, then finally cutting the stick.

nullterm 05-20-2012 12:29 AM

I'd say shorter stick would help stick handling the most. But before you chop down your S19, maybe get a cheap woodie with a similar curve & lie and try that at a shorter length, I did before chopping up my usual composite. I found going from chin to collarbone (in skates) made a big difference for me.

If you shorten the stick's shaft, then the toe will come down to the ground so be less on the heel. Possibly more centered on the blade. Keep in mind, shortening also means the stick gets stiffer.

Try moving your top hand down the shaft a few inches until the blade is more balanced on the ice and try stick handling there. If you find it's better with your top hand lower down teh shaft, then you can use your hand position as a reference of where to think about cutting.

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/players/crosby3.jpg

http://www.cuthockeysticks.com/

5.5 is a pretty normal/average lie, unless you had a 4 or 7 before that.

hyster110 05-20-2012 09:46 AM

i would say that the picture isn't as common in todays game, as if you watch people during the anthems, many have sticks that have blades off the ice,

it honestly you have only been playing a while and you switched curves. this will affect how you play. my advice, pick a curve, and don't change it (so since you have parise, stay along the lines of, Staal when using bauer and such. then get used to playing with that curve and you will see benefits in your game. also realize that the rocker on the curve of the Parise means the blade doesnt lay flat on the ice

doughmadore 05-20-2012 09:58 AM

Your comments and the link you sent are very eye opening. I was always of the belief that the stick should be around the chin. I think I'll cut the s19 and give it a shot. I actually have a game tonight so I'll see if that's the issue. Thanks.