HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Connor McDavid or Mathew Barzal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1193685)

Oilers4life1987 05-21-2012 07:04 AM

Connor McDavid or Mathew Barzal

Hey guys,

I was just wondering who do you guys think will be the better prospect in a few years as they both went 1st overall. Also, can anyone compare these two to current NHL players and do a little scouting report as I know little about them.

To note, Im already aware that McDavid got exceptional status which means a lot but look at guys like RNH who didn't get it and he was 1st overall in 2011 draft.

puckfan13 05-21-2012 07:11 AM

Very unfair to compare these two guys. I bet there's less than 20 people that have seen both players play live ever.

Marvelous Manked 05-21-2012 07:51 AM

Tough to compare guys when you haven't seen one of them, but I watched McDavid at the OHL Cup a lot so I'll tell you what I know.

The guy does a lot of things "exceptionally". I had my doubts going in, but he proved me wrong really quickly. He essentially carried his team on his back.

He's a smaller guy, but playing in an older age group, this is to be expected. His speed is incredibly impressive, as are his puck skills and his ability to deke. Another huge asset of his is his ability to cut to the net, by dipping his shoulder and powering through.

Great player.

Oilers4life1987 05-21-2012 08:36 AM

Ah thanks for the information on McDavid. There must be someone in the western part of Canada that has information on Barzal. It's been mentioned that there are similarities to RNH (favoriate player in 2011 draft :D )

ampersand5 05-21-2012 09:25 AM

without ever having seen Barzal play, I can tell you its not even close.

Mcdavid is the best prospect out of Ontario for his age since Lindros (or maybe an argument could be made for Spezza, but still the best in over a decade).

UsernameWasTaken 05-21-2012 09:46 AM

I haven't seen Barzal play. McDavid is awesome. Still, I think it's a bit early to tell. Wait until they've spent time playing junior hockey. Even with great players a lot can change.

Someone else to keep in mind is Nathan Noel. I'm not sure how the european and american prospects are stacking up against the Canadians for this draft.

Pick Six 05-21-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilsp1ll (Post 49950693)
Very unfair to compare these two guys. I bet there's less than 20 people that have seen both players play live ever.

I doubt if it's even 20.

McDavid is a phenomenal talent. The kid has exceptional speed, hands, vision and hockey IQ. I don't think he'll be a better junior player than Tavares (as the above post indicates) and not sure many expect him to be, but he's a hell of a talent nonetheless.

shello 05-21-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampersand5 (Post 49952725)

Mcdavid is the best prospect out of Ontario for his age since Lindros (or maybe an argument could be made for Spezza, but still the best in over a decade).

Well Tavares was a freak in junior. Not disagreeing with you, Ive seen Mcdavid play he's incredible in all aspects. Just id like to see him the O before we make these type of sayings.

IHaveNoCreativity 05-21-2012 01:19 PM

Noel applied to the Q draft aswell for eps... If I'm correct..

KingJet* 05-21-2012 01:31 PM

Barzal was a call up in the 2010 western hockey tourny, from playing with 96's, but I mean, I know McDavid and Barzal are both amazing, but not all 1st overall picks are good in Bantam/WHL drafts, their good just aren't going to be the best, like for example, they might take them because their going to spend the longest time there, sort of why McDavid, Ekblad and Tavares went 1st overall, same with Mike Richards, but sometimes its Skillwise.

Pilgore88 05-21-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity (Post 49960005)
Noel applied to the Q draft aswell for eps... If I'm correct..

I don't believe he did. He will be the first overall pick in next June's Q entry draft

NoThreat 05-21-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingJet (Post 49960409)
Barzal was a call up in the 2010 western hockey tourny, from playing with 96's, but I mean, I know McDavid and Barzal are both amazing, but not all 1st overall picks are good in Bantam/WHL drafts, their good just aren't going to be the best, like for example, they might take them because their going to spend the longest time there, sort of why McDavid, Ekblad and Tavares went 1st overall, same with Mike Richards, but sometimes its Skillwise.

Mike Richards was the 4th overall pick in the 2001 OHL draft.

Fedz 05-21-2012 07:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j6Zmfyns8w

Video of Barzal (#97) from Bantam this year. If the WHL ever granted exceptional status (they don't) he'd be playing in the WHL this year and would do quite well. He is a scary talent, and most say, including his Bantam coach, that he is better than Nugent-Hopkins at the same age. This is the same Bantam coach that coached RNH as well.

I have watched him play several times and he is by far the most dynamic player of the 97 group in BC.

I have only watched video of McDavid, but both seem like exceptional talents.

There are a few other top WHL picks in the video as well on Barzal's team, including first rounders Schultz (#77), Ronning (#7), and Musil (#2)

sickest flow bro 05-21-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampersand5 (Post 49952725)

No way he is a better prospect than Tavares. They implemented a rule just for him. A couple months ago Ho Sang was rated the top in the draft and McDavid wasn't really considered for the exceptional status.

Marvelous Manked 05-21-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tnk 4 Frk 2012 (Post 49975825)
No way he is a better prospect than Tavares. They implemented a rule just for him. A couple months ago Ho Sang was rated the top in the draft and McDavid wasn't really considered for the exceptional status.

Except Ho Sang will never be that good of an NHL player, and McDavid will.

Your Tavares point is completely irrelevant by the way. Tavares was born earlier, who's to say McDavid couldn't get the same status?

sickest flow bro 05-21-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyManked (Post 49976903)

Your Tavares point is completely irrelevant by the way. Tavares was born earlier, who's to say McDavid couldn't get the same status?

No doubt, McDavid is an elite talent, but I was saying Tavares was a better prospect heading into the OHL than McDavid. He was so good they NEEDED a rule to get him into the OHL and not lose him to another league. I doubt they would have put that rule in for Ekblad or McDavid but impossible to tell.

dudeoverhere 05-21-2012 10:39 PM

Matt Barzal becuz his going to the 'Dub'

IHaveNoCreativity 05-21-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Officer Farva (Post 49960709)
I don't believe he did. He will be the first overall pick in next June's Q entry draft

Wha about Roy or Duchense ?

dudeoverhere 05-21-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity (Post 49988267)
Wha about Roy or Duchense ?

Duchesne draft status is already falling as players are starting to catch up, and as for comparison to Barzal and Mcdavid, they played the Quebec international peewee hockey tourney in 2010 same year, Barzal had 24 points for BWC in 7 games for 11 goals, 11 assists, and McDavid had 14 points for York Simcoe Express in 7 games for 7 goals, 7 assists

On another Note,
Matthew Barzal had 39 goals, 68 assists over 35 regular season games in the PCAHA, also in the provincial playoffs he tallied 16 goals and 30 assists in 17 games, leading the bruins to a 2nd straight B.C. Title, and last but not least also won 2 straight Western Canada Championships. Good job BWC

Connor McDavid scored 33 goals, 39 assists over 33 regular season games in the GTHL, helped his team reach the final of the OHL cup where he tallied 11 goals, 8 assists for 19 points in 7 games for tournament MVP. Good Job Toronto Marlies

scoutman1 05-22-2012 06:48 AM

McDavid with a long shot...to see both of these kids player you see they are not in the same talent level.......this thread should be Barzal or Noel.

IHaveNoCreativity 05-22-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoutman1 (Post 49993089)
McDavid with a long shot...to see both of these kids player you see they are not in the same talent level.......this thread should be Barzal or Noel.

So:
McDavid

Barzal
Noel
?

dudeoverhere 05-22-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoutman1 (Post 49993089)

coming from a guy that ranked Robby Jackson in his top 10, then he went on to get drafted 153rd overall in the WHL, lol, also didnt even have Adam Musil in his top 30 and he went on to get drafted 6th overall from Red Deer Rebels...dunno man

NoThreat 05-22-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeoverhere (Post 50003623)
coming from a guy that ranked Robby Jackson in his top 10, then he went on to get drafted 153rd overall in the WHL, lol, also didnt even have Adam Musil in his top 30 and he went on to get drafted 6th overall from Red Deer Rebels...dunno man

Where did you have those guys ranked?

dudeoverhere 05-22-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoThreat (Post 50005239)
Where did you have those guys ranked?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=952419&page=7

theres the link, its in the 2015 nhl prospects page, talking about the top 1997's, ranking was from last month, most of the list is on point, so i give him credit for that, just some minor slip ups, Good stuff on the list though scoutman1...always like to see lists like that, and as for me i didnt give a ranking for all of Canada as i mostly pay attention to the WHL, and i know from scoutman33 twitter page that he scouts QMJHL, prolly why his WHL ranking was off a bit, just busting his balls...lol, its all fun no personal attacks...

But also to go as wide as saying 'they are not in the same talent level' (McDavid, Barzal) is a bit off on its own...Barzal is a proven winner, cannot wait to see him in the 'dub'. No doubt the Thunderbirds will be using him, and he'll log minutes and develop into a spectacular player...Thunderbirds also drafted Keegan Kolesar (20th overall) listed by many as the best power forward in the draft, and Ethan Bear (25th overall) Great Defenceman who played on arguably the best defence corps in bantam hockey with Pursuit of Excellence and also recently won the hardest shot competition at the Challenge Cup this weekend, also Challenge Cup champions as well, put that with last years first rounder Ryan Gropp (6th overall, 2011), this Thunderbird team will be a team to watch in a couple years. Resulting in Barzal developing into a better hockey player then he currently stands.

Pick Six 05-22-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MightyManked (Post 49976903)

Would love to hear this. He's far and away the best '96 born in Ontario.