HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   make the ice rinks smaller in europe (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1193835)

dkhockey 05-21-2012 01:31 PM

make the ice rinks smaller in europe

why not just make the ice smaller in europe, to NHL specs....=...room for more audience and thereby more profit , better action, easier to adjust to NHL for euros...........itīs all win !

kdfsjljklgjfg 05-21-2012 01:33 PM

Sure it's win for us, but I don't think all of the European leagues will change a major aspect of their game and renovate all of their arenas just because we asked nicely.

dkhockey 05-21-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zetterberg (Post 49958349)
Sure it's win for us, but I don't think all of the European leagues will change a major aspect of their game and renovate all of their arenas just because we asked nicely.

actually i donīt think the US and canada have anything to gain by this........but the russians and all others euros would have a better game to show their audience

Rexor 05-21-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkhockey (Post 49958499)
actually i donīt think the US and canada have anything to gain by this........but the russians and all others euros would have a better game to show their audience

No they wouldn't. Hockey on small ice is stupid.

Street Hawk 05-21-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkhockey (Post 49958287)
why not just make the ice smaller in europe, to NHL specs....=...room for more audience and thereby more profit , better action, easier to adjust to NHL for euros...........itīs all win !

There are rinks in Europe, especially the new ones in Finland that are a hybrid size between the NHL and the International standard. NHL 85 feet, International 98 feet.

Finland has rinks that are 92-94 feet wide. 92 feet is basically taking the difference between the NHL and International size.

Sounds like the perfect solution IMO. NHL is too small for the size of the players. Give the skilled guys a bit more room to use their speed on the outside. Intl. too big, not enough physical play.

YARR123 05-21-2012 01:47 PM

room for more audience? How does that make any sense?

Oh right! Football stadiums have such small capacities because the field is so huge!

On a more serious note, I don't see much point. It doesn't make the game more interesting, it makes the game faster and more straightforward, but less skilled. The NHL is exciting because it's the best league in the world, not because it has a smaller rink.

zorz 05-21-2012 01:48 PM

No, thanks.

pld459666 05-21-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexor (Post 49958603)
No they wouldn't. Hockey on small ice is stupid.

disagree.

Danish Pastry 05-21-2012 01:50 PM

i pretty sure most europeans love the big rinks... personally i hate them but to each their own... and it is kind of cool having that major difference between the continents...

Systemfel 05-21-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danish Pastry (Post 49958909)
i pretty sure most europeans love the big rinks... personally i hate them but to each their own... and it is kind of cool having that major difference between the continents...

Most Swedes don't like them as well.

Muuri 05-21-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666 (Post 49958875)
disagree.

disagree.

Danish Pastry 05-21-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Systemfel (Post 49959045)

interesting...

BobDobolina 05-21-2012 02:01 PM

The NHL should make them bigger. Not Olympic size but a couple feet wider at least.

A lot of countries different kind of hybrid rinks already.

CCCP 05-21-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Systemfel (Post 49959045)

Neither do I.

Fulcrum 05-21-2012 02:01 PM

I'm on the fense about it. On one hand- Russia does really well on them, and our style of play largely comes from it. Which we Love.

On the other hand, it would probably be more interesting to watch. But losing our Russian character and style of play scares me, most importantly- why fix it when it's working?

Sotty 05-21-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muuri (Post 49959237)
disagree.

agree

Lui One Hall 05-21-2012 02:04 PM

I enjoy international hockey the way it's right now. Every time I watch an NHL game, I notice how the game seems to be all about battling along the boards, cycle game along the boards, entering the offensive zone with dump-ins and blocking shots...

zorz 05-21-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobDobolina (Post 49959331)
The NHL should make them bigger. Not Olympic size but a couple feet wider at least.

A lot of countries different kind of hybrid rinks already.

I like this idea. I could agree with making European and International rinks smaller, but not NHL size. NHL hockey is fine, but sometimes it feels like watching pinball.

Jussi 05-21-2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Street Hawk (Post 49958751)
There are rinks in Europe, especially the new ones in Finland that are a hybrid size between the NHL and the International standard. NHL 85 feet, International 98 feet.

Finland has rinks that are 92-94 feet wide. 92 feet is basically taking the difference between the NHL and International size.

Sounds like the perfect solution IMO. NHL is too small for the size of the players. Give the skilled guys a bit more room to use their speed on the outside. Intl. too big, not enough physical play.

Actually it's the older arenas that have hybrid sizes.

Jussi 05-21-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fruktbomb (Post 49959475)
I enjoy international hockey the way it's right now. Every time I watch an NHL game, I notice how the game seems to be all about battling along the boards, cycle game along the boards, entering the offensive zone with dump-ins and blocking shots...

You watch too many Rangers games. There's varying playing styles in the NHL as well.

Frank the Tank 05-21-2012 02:09 PM

IIHF needs to adjust the official boundaries for ice rink dimensions between the current "international" dimensions (maximum) and the NHL-sized ice rinks (minimum). Let the host nation build as they see fit. I know this is done unofficially by the IIHF (e.g., Vancouver 2010 Olympics, numerous under-20 WJHC hosted in Canada, WHC in 2008), but they need to officially embrace the difference in ice dimensions between nations and legitimize this difference.

pucky 05-21-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Street Hawk (Post 49958751)

Hybrid rinks are the best option just because it offers a lot of versatility. But, a compromise would allow to maintain the physical play but still allow more room.

The bigger ice surface means there's more time to adapt so they can avoid hits or have more time to think to make plays. On the smaller rinks, there's less time to react. At least, that is the theory. There's adv. and disadv. for both sizes of rinks but the most common statement on changing a small rink size to one bigger, is the loss of profits due to that taking out the lower level seats. So, it's much easier to make the case to go the other way.

Ville82 05-21-2012 02:17 PM

No make nhl rink bigger about same than in europe

WayneBruce 05-21-2012 02:18 PM

The rinks are too small in the NHL, players are much bigger these days and they are starting to grow out of their rinks. The rinks we have in the SEL are too big, the game is slow and boring. The hybrid rinks are probably the best.

czechmate25 05-21-2012 02:20 PM

Who exactly is going to "make" the European rinks engage in such an undertaking?