HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   qq - RBK 9/11k skates, what's a comparitave fit from Graf? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1194213)

r3cc0s 05-22-2012 12:57 AM

qq - RBK 9/11k skates, what's a comparitave fit from Graf?

705 or 709?

hctopcheds11 05-22-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s (Post 49990647)
705 or 709?

I had 705 Graf's and now have RBK 9k's. The RBK 9k's I have are the ones that were Reebok's best like 2-3 years ago. So in other words, the newest best skate from Reebok is the 20k. Before that, their best was the 11k and before that, their best was the 9k. I own these pair of 9k's, not a lesser version of the 11k's or 20k's.

So back on point (wanted to make sure we were discussing the same skate), IMO the 705's and 9k's are a totally different skate.

I started out with a series of Bauer and Mission skates. Then the first real high end skate I had was the Vapor XX (top of the line Bauer at that time). The next skate was a Graf 705, then the most recent is the 9k.

Graf 705's are built for pure comfort IMO. They are a bit heavy and not very aggressive. I noticed my agility was a lot poorer in my Graf's than with my Vapor's but I had some foot issues with the Vapor series (the reason I tried Graf's). All in all, I never really LOVED skating in my Graf's. Just an average skate that had supreme comfort. I also didn't love the cobra frame and steel, especially versus the Bauer runner set up.

I think the 9k is a perfect medium. You get a bit of the aggression that the Vapor series has, it's a light skate and it is very comfy. So far I've had them for about 2 years and they've worn pretty well (skate about 1 or 2 times a week anymore, I know sad). The only slight issue I've had is that the tongue fits kind of funny. Sometimes when you tighten the laces, it feels weird on the edge of your feet. They seemed to have noticed this as with the 11k's and now with the 20k's, they've changed the tongue to a different material. I also really like the frame and runner on it. Very responsive and feels powerful.

Hope this helps...

Stickmata 05-22-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyg26 (Post 49991077)
Graf 705's are built for pure comfort IMO. They are a bit heavy and not very aggressive. .

:laugh: Now that's something I've never heard about Grafs! While heavier than the superlight skates out there, I would say the Grafs are more aggressive than any of the other brands out there and require you to skate them differently due to the forward cant of the skate. Some people don't like this.

To the OPs point, I would say, no, the 705 doesn't fit anything like any of the skates offered by Reebok, Bauer and CCM. I wear 705s and I can't wear any of the other manufacturer's skates. And don't even think about buying Graf's via the mail/internet without getting properly fitted. Each model fits very differently and if you get one that is not right for your foot, you will sorely regret it.

hctopcheds11 05-22-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stickmata (Post 49996587)
:laugh: Now that's something I've never heard about Grafs! While heavier than the superlight skates out there, I would say the Grafs are more aggressive than any of the other brands out there and require you to skate them differently due to the forward cant of the skate. Some people don't like this.

To the OPs point, I would say, no, the 705 doesn't fit anything like any of the skates offered by Reebok, Bauer and CCM. I wear 705s and I can't wear any of the other manufacturer's skates. And don't even think about buying Graf's via the mail/internet without getting properly fitted. Each model fits very differently and if you get one that is not right for your foot, you will sorely regret it.

Maybe it's the way the 705s fit me but I severely lacked agility in them compared to the Vapor series or the 9k's. I've noticed before and after my strides being much more powerful while having more agility.

Clearly you're a fan of them (you own them), so like anything with hockey equipment, it's preference. Perhaps aggressive isn't the right word but something about the skate just never allowed me to generate as much power in my strides.

Again, with skates it's all preference. One persons absolute must have skate could be something I dislike and vice versa. There's no question that the Graf skates are all around high quality, they just weren't for me. As the poster suggested above, best bet is to go try them on.

r3cc0s 05-22-2012 10:58 AM

I'm more curious in regards to fit, and durability I guess...

performance wise, I'm sure the weight will be noticable, but I think the 705's are more than durable, and honestly if pro's still use the same boot, I think that's sufficient for me

hctopcheds11 05-22-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s (Post 49998357)
I'm more curious in regards to fit, and durability I guess...

performance wise, I'm sure the weight will be noticable, but I think the 705's are more than durable, and honestly if pro's still use the same boot, I think that's sufficient for me

Durability will be a non issue. It's a well made skate. As far as pros using them, please don't base this as a reason to buy a certain pair of skates. Pick out a skate that fits YOU well or else you won't maximize your performance.

Fit is something you'll need to find out yourself. I'd suggest trying a pair on and comparing what feels best for you.

Tikkanen 05-22-2012 11:06 AM

I use the 11K's coming from the X60 Bauers. I had inside ankle bone rubbing issues with the Bauers so I tried the RBK's due to the pump. Fit was good right out of the box, baking them made them perfect and the pump works good to keep your foot in there without my personal pain issues. Never owned or tried on Graf's, have pretty normal feet but I love my 11k's so far.