HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Mike Murphy to the KHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1194375)

tpsteffe 05-22-2012 12:20 PM

Mike Murphy to the KHL

Can't say I was expecting to see this at all...

@MichaelMurphy31

KHL/Russia bound next season! I'd like to thank the Hurricanes/Checkers organization & fans for an amazing 3yrs! Memories i'll have forever!

Anton Dubinchuk 05-22-2012 12:26 PM

Well that's a shock. Peters and Andersen? Muse and Andersen?

Joe McGrath 05-22-2012 12:28 PM

Um, ****. I guess Andersen is on his way then. Otherwise Jimmy dropped the ball.

Vagrant 05-22-2012 12:30 PM

I couldn't believe this when I saw it. I have a feeling this has been brewing because I posted WAY back that Jordan posted something about Murphy having a friend in Czech and how he would miss him. I assumed that Jordan was the one leaving not Murphy. Never even crossed my mind.

I suspect this means that Andersen is signing, or is close to signing, as Andersen tweeted he was on his way to the states specifically NY, to see some friends. Probably also means he's working on a contract. We'll have to see.

This is a numbers game move from Murphy. Wait for Boucher to come off the books and potentially come back next season.

impeach estaalo 05-22-2012 12:30 PM

I doubt Rutherford even knows who Frederik Andersen is

Vagrant 05-22-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandwagon cole canes (Post 49999235)

I have a guy that I tweet at occasionally from Norway that says that something is all but done between the parties. Take it for what it's worth. I have no idea about how credible the source might be.

DaveG 05-22-2012 12:40 PM

I'm OK with this. If it's for just one year the KHL is certainly a step up from the AHL in terms of competition. If Murphy can jump to the KHL and start right away this could be fantastic for his development. Gives Charlotte a strong Andersen/Peters/Muse combo as well while Andersen gets adjusted to the North American game. Then, once Boucher is gone after next season, 3 way battle for the backup spot in camp.

Stephen Goalbert 05-22-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandwagon cole canes (Post 49999235)

I jokingly said thia first dammit.

Blueline Bomber 05-22-2012 12:59 PM

Wow, didn't expect this at all. I'm disappointed too. Thought for sure he'd be our backup for Ward in the next couple years.

DaveG 05-22-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber (Post 50000139)
Wow, didn't expect this at all. I'm disappointed too. Thought for sure he'd be our backup for Ward in the next couple years.

What's to say he won't be? We retain his rights and it's likely that he'll be given as much of a shot as anyone else in the system when Boosh leaves unless someone just absolutely rips the AHL a new one next season.

Identity404 05-22-2012 01:18 PM

Wow, this is a bit surprising. I think this could be good for his development like others have already mentioned.

How does the contract stuff work when a player goes to the KHL? Will we always have his rights when he decides to come back to the NHL, or do they ever expire?

DaveG 05-22-2012 01:22 PM

and it's official

http://gocheckers.com/news/more/inde...article_id=997

essentially I believe we retain his rights until he reaches UFA age, though I'm not certain if it might extend beyond that.

Boom Boom Anton 05-22-2012 01:32 PM

I guess in hindsight, not surprising and not really disappointing to me either. Get's a chance to play in a league that is higher than he would have played in if he was here. A bit of a numbers game.

If as Dave says, the Canes still hold his rights, then good for him.

Oenatzu 05-22-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by @ice_chip
Ron Francis says Murphy's decision to go to KHL surprised Canes. Called it disappointing.

Sounds like they had something in mind for him.

faulkingdynamic 05-22-2012 01:40 PM

Sounds to me like JR and Francis were a bit suprised and disappointed.

MD 05-22-2012 01:42 PM

Safe to say I didn't see that one coming. Best of luck to him in Russia and I hope he can use this as a stepping stone to becoming an NHL goalie.

Vagrant 05-22-2012 01:49 PM

When you have a player who has played respectable hockey in the AHL at the very least and the opportunity arises for said player to get some starts in the NHL and you bench him while the starter plays more games in a row than he should, then you send the message that the organization does not trust you to play net in what is basically a throw away season. I don't fault Murphy for showing the organization that he's not an expendable farm hand. It is inexplicable why he didn't get a few starts this year when Peters was hurt, Boucher was hurt, and Cam was fatigued from starting all the games during that stretch.

Going to the second best league in the world to start and prove that you're legit is not the worst thing in the world for Murphy. If or when he comes back, he will either be coming back as the backup or he will have a place to play in Russia for better money. It's not a bad career move at all for him.

What the Faulk 05-22-2012 02:13 PM

Murphy wasn't even the best goalie in Charlotte last year, and it's debatable between him and Peters for #2. I can't imagine he'd start in the KHL. If he returned to Charlotte, I would have thought it'd be him and Muse with Peters assuredly moving on.

Sasha Cares 05-22-2012 02:27 PM

I think Peters is moving as well. If not, we will overpay now. Ugh. I was hoping for one year of Fredie and Murphy in Char and then make decisions from there

bilpeto 05-22-2012 02:31 PM

This is really surprising for me as well. I didn't think much of the Murphy/Jordan exchange on Twitter, but now I see what they meant. Best of luck to Murphy in Russia, hope he comes back soon.

Robotic 05-22-2012 02:36 PM

The team is most likely Spartak Moscow, that's where he's been rumoured to for a few weeks.

DaveG 05-22-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PublicEnemy (Post 50003167)
This is really surprising for me as well. I didn't think much of the Murphy/Jordan exchange on Twitter, but now I see what they meant. Best of luck to Murphy in Russia, hope he comes back soon.

Maybe they're just going to role with Muse and Andersen in Charlotte. Would have no issues from me if that were the case though that would really deplete our depth in a big way at the position. I prefer to have at least 3 NHL caliber goalies in the system at all times (we had 4 last year with Ward, Boosh, Peters, and Murphy) with at least a guy that could be a competent AHL starter down in the ECHL due to injuries/callups.

Brock Anton 05-22-2012 02:52 PM

Odd.

NotOpie 05-22-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by What the Faulk (Post 50002591)
Murphy wasn't even the best goalie in Charlotte last year, and it's debatable between him and Peters for #2. I can't imagine he'd start in the KHL. If he returned to Charlotte, I would have thought it'd be him and Muse with Peters assuredly moving on.

Grapes = Sour!

Really dude, don't let your emotions run away with you. His 37 games were much more of a complete body of work than Muse's 13 or 14. When Muse was sent back down to FL, it tells you what the professionals thought as well. Peter's stretch at the end of the season was more about showcasing him (and probably that Murphy was still hurting some). Quite frankly he was the man in Charlotte and it was his job to lose. This gives him a chance to hone his game against superior competition. I view this as a positive for Murphy and if JR and Ronnie can put their egos and hurt feelings aside, they will see its good for his development as well.

And tell me how this can come as a surprise to management. They've got to be in touch with these guys. They have to know that offers are being bandied about.

Unfortunately, this probably means that we use yet another late round pick for a goal tender.

Anton Dubinchuk 05-22-2012 03:04 PM

Has anyone ever had a lasting career NHL SV% of 1.000 and a GAA of 0.00? Because if Murphy never plays in the NHL again, that's what he'll have.