HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Why is nothing said about Kovelchucks spearing? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1194487)

The Pope* 05-22-2012 04:43 PM

Why is nothing said about Kovelchucks spearing?

NHL office of player safety says they are all about protecting the players than why is nothing said of his spearing Cally. It was not an accident it was an atempt to injure a player using a stick. I thought the NHL was cracking down on this sort of thing??? ...Rolling eyes....

MortUWary 05-22-2012 04:58 PM

As a Rangers fan, it was a love tap. Callahan mushed Kovalchuk and Kovy gave him a gentle reminder to cut the crap. Kovalchuk received a minor penalty (slashing??? what game were the refs watching???) and supplemental discipline is not needed here.

LordsCup* 05-22-2012 05:01 PM

Because cally didnt going to the ice in pain and lay there for 2 minutes like the devils players do.

WhipNash27 05-22-2012 05:02 PM

It should have been a five minute major and a game misconduct. However, that's not a play worthy of supplemental action.

Riverdale 05-22-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordsCup (Post 50008469)
Because cally didnt going to the ice in pain and lay there for 2 minutes like the devils players do.

Pretty much this.

It wasn't that bad, IMO. Scummy, but not terrible. Hockey, expect that stuff now and then

Kreider Typical 05-22-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MortUWary (Post 50008385)
As a Rangers fan, it was a love tap. Callahan mushed Kovalchuk and Kovy gave him a gentle reminder to cut the crap. Kovalchuk received a minor penalty (slashing??? what game were the refs watching???) and supplemental discipline is not needed here.

how is that a love tap? he def hit him with some force and cally's nuts were targeted. you ever been hit in the balls? not a good feeling.

Rangers Fail 05-22-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 (Post 50008507)
It should have been a five minute major and a game misconduct. However, that's not a play worthy of supplemental action.

This. That's what it says in the NHL rule book. Too bad the refs don't know anything that's in it.

However, there shouldn't be any suspension on that play.

The Pope* 05-22-2012 06:04 PM

I understand that there was no injury but he has a history of using his stick in this manner. It should have warrented more than he got. we have seen warnings per se from the Dept. of player safety before I think a warning needed to be given.

Fanned On It 05-22-2012 06:06 PM

Um, wasn't the reason he did that because Cally mushed his face with his glove? If someone mushed my face with their glove while I was on my ass I'd probably give them a whack with my stick as well.

What I don't get is why Kovalchuk didn't get called to begin with for cross-checking Cally from behind which was the REASON Cally pushed his face.

CostaTheCrazyGreek 05-22-2012 06:21 PM

This is why I keep my NHL money spending to a bare minimum.

varanger94 05-22-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pope (Post 50010107)
I understand that there was no injury but he has a history of using his stick in this manner. It should have warrented more than he got. we have seen warnings per se from the Dept. of player safety before I think a warning needed to be given.

He used his stick a second time instead of manning up and dropping the gloves, after Cally took a swing at him. He then gets interviewed later and lies that Cally speared him first. Dishonest and a dirt bag.

Jackson Ranger 05-22-2012 06:29 PM

I don't think it was a play that needed to be looked into. You have to let the boys play a little. It is the playoffs after all.

Rangers Fail 05-22-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varanger94 (Post 50010749)
He used his stick a second time instead of manning up and dropping the gloves, after Cally took a swing at him. He then gets interviewed later and lies that Cally speared him first. Dishonest and a dirt bag.

Just like how Fatso made it sound like Rupp punched him harder than an eight year old in his PG interview.

Too bad those were the highlights of the game though.

varanger94 05-22-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Santini5389 (Post 50010173)
Um, wasn't the reason he did that because Cally mushed his face with his glove? If someone mushed my face with their glove while I was on my ass I'd probably give them a whack with my stick as well.

What I don't get is why Kovalchuk didn't get called to begin with for cross-checking Cally from behind which was the REASON Cally pushed his face.

This and Rupp's original hit behind the goal. pushing the Uncle Daddy the actor. If the Refs make the right calls nothing else happens. This crap happened because they are frustrated by the one sided calls.

varanger94 05-22-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger (Post 50010817)
I don't think it was a play that needed to be looked into. You have to let the boys play a little. It is the playoffs after all.

As long as you let both sides play.

MortUWary 05-22-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooskating (Post 50008571)
how is that a love tap? he def hit him with some force and cally's nuts were targeted. you ever been hit in the balls? not a good feeling.

Yes, I've been hit in the balls before and it sucks. I've also been hit with a baseball while wearing a protective cup, which was harder than Kovalchuk spearing Callahan and you know what? It hardly hurt. Aside from the initial surprise, the cup does it's job.

Giacomin 05-22-2012 06:39 PM

I only saw the play once and thought it deserved a penalty but nothing more

Jackson Ranger 05-22-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varanger94 (Post 50010943)
As long as you let both sides play.

Agreed. Both sides have gotten away with blown calls by the refs. Staal's slash, Prust's elbow, Parise's hit and Zubrus' elbow.
And for the record, Kovy's spear was worse than Rupp's jab.
No matter what happens, the players have to keep their composure. Pull a Tik and give the guy a kiss. ;-)

goalie dude 05-22-2012 06:39 PM

should have been a 5 min major though

clmetsfan 05-22-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goalie dude (Post 50011149)
should have been a 5 min major though

That would have been a HUGE overreaction.

Rangers Fail 05-22-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clmetsfan (Post 50011473)
That would have been a HUGE overreaction.

Quote:

62.1 Spearing - Spearing shall mean stabbing an opponent with the point of the stick blade, whether contact is made or not.
62.2*Double-minor Penalty - A double-minor penalty will be imposed on a player who spears an opponent and does not make contact.
62.3*Major Penalty - A major penalty shall be imposed on a player who spears an opponent (see 62.5).
62.4*Match Penalty - A match penalty shall be imposed on a player who injures an opponent as a result of a spear.
62.5*Game Misconduct Penalty - Whenever a major penalty is assessed for spearing, a game misconduct penalty must also be imposed.
62.6*Fines and Suspensions - There are no specified fines or suspensions for spearing, however, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).
There is no minor penalty for spearing. The thing is, the dumbass refs called it a slash instead.

Ice Hockey 05-22-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordsCup (Post 50008469)

truer words have not been spoken. same thing happens to a guy like kovy and it's a match penalty.

clmetsfan 05-22-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat (Post 50011569)
There is no minor penalty for spearing. The thing is, the dumbass refs called it a slash instead.

That was a good call. They did it because it really wasn't hard or vicious enough to warrant a 5 minute major.

Rangers Fail 05-22-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clmetsfan (Post 50011855)
That was a good call. They did it because it really wasn't hard or vicious enough to warrant a 5 minute major.

It was a spear, not a slash. There is no such thing as a 2 min. Penalty for spearing. It's either a double minor, if you don't touch the player, or a major if you do. Kovalchuk speared Callahan, not slashed. Therefore, it's an automatic major. I didn't write the rules.

The Pope* 05-22-2012 07:42 PM

I have seen him do that same spear many times before over the years. It should have been called.