HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   OHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148)
-   -   Info on Wilson, Lawrence, Tuzzolino, Blunden (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=119467)

mazmin 12-19-2004 12:57 PM

Info on Wilson, Lawrence, Tuzzolino, Blunden

Looking for information on the following OHL players. They should be all available for next years draft and I am looking for scouting reports from people WHO HAVE ACTUALLY SEEN THEM PLAY.

Ryan Wilson, D, Toronto, '87, 6'1, 205lbs

Chris Lawrence, C, Sault., '87, 6'4, 180lbs

Nick Tuzzolino, D, Sarnia, '86, 6'6, 220lbs

Michael Blunden, RW, Erie, '86, 6'2, 205lbs

Plz feel free to correct any info regarding size, position etc.

I'm looking for strengths/weaknesses/potential even player comparaisons.

Boomhower 12-19-2004 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazmin
Ryan Wilson, D, Toronto, '87, 6'1, 205lbs

Chris Lawrence, C, Sault., '87, 6'4, 180lbs

Michael Blunden, RW, Erie, '86, 6'2, 205lbs

Plz feel free to correct any info regarding size, position etc.

I'm looking for strengths/weaknesses/potential even player comparaisons.

Wilson - Like a pit bull, very strong and sturdy in the physical game, has a big shot and will jump into the play offensively every once in a while. Unfortunately his foot speed isn't very good and he gets caught pinching in for the big hit too much. He shows really well in that box that St.Mikes plays their home games in, but Wilson looks shady and slow on bigger ice surfaces.

Lawrence - Big guy, but doesn't play a physical style. Decent skater and good on the faceoffs, always seems like a sloppy stickhandler when I see him.

Blunden - High upside as a physical checker, his offense could allow him to be a top two line player, but his size, skating and aggressiveness make him a safe NHL prospect, because he'll be a useful player in some capacity. His willingness to drive the front of the net stands out aswell.

FearTheFlyers 12-19-2004 06:14 PM

Tuzzulino- Very Big and extremely awkward in his checks. Totally stand out when he is on the ice and seems kinda unco-ordinated in the defensive zone. He has a big reach and will play physical especially in front of the net. Didn't notice anything at the offensive end worth writing.

mazmin 12-20-2004 12:34 PM

Thanks guys. So is it safe to say Blunden the best of this bunch?

Brock 12-20-2004 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazmin
Thanks guys. So is it safe to say Blunden the best of this bunch?

I don't think its safe per say. Personally I think Blunden and Wilson are the best of the bunch, I like both an equal amount. But if you ask CSB, then Lawrence is the best of the bunch by far :shakehead

Boomhower described Blunden pretty well. He's a safe bet, good hands around the net, solid and physical. His upside is a solid second line banging winger. He should be somewhere around a late first rounder this year I would think.

Wilson, I'm going to disagree with on Boomhower. The couple times I've seen Wilson, I've never noticed his skating as being a general weakness. He's no Jay Bouwmeester, but he's no Mitch Maunu either. Wilson also struck me as a pretty good stickhandler too. But you are correct, his offensive instincts arent that high, and he picks and chooses the wrong times for rushing. He's physical though and I think he's got all the tools to be a very good defenseman. He's got potential IMO. I think he's got a good bet to be a second rounder, even if CSB doesn't agree (because they left him off their list).

Lawrence. I don't see much in him. Sure he's got raw skills, but his skills have been raw since he joined the OHL. He hasn't progressed at all and we are stilllllllll waiting for him to put everything together. I could see a team taking a flyer on him if they really dare to and believe that with their coaching staff he could become a player, but I wouldn't count on it.

Blind Gardien 12-20-2004 02:04 PM

I will stick with Blunden since he's easy to pigeon-hole even with just a handful of viewings, and Wilson because I see him a lot. (I've seen the others once or twice, but you'll get better reviews on them elsewhere).

Like everybody else is saying, I think Blunden is kind of the prototypical "safe" up and down winger. He works hard, he bangs around, has good size, and skates well. He isn't as smart coming back on defense as he should be, however, given his projected role as a two-way winger, and his skating ability. But he'll learn. I guess he might be held back in some scouts' eyes by being a late '86 birthdate, but personally I don't look at that. I wish he'd develop a true mean streak, and that he'd pay more strict attention to his defensive assignments, but otherwise he has good banging winger potential.

Wilson has at various times been my personal favourite "sleeper" pick, since I'm kind of a Majors fan-by-default-living-location, if not by-heart. I'm still a little bit unsure about him, though. What I am pretty sure of is that he can be a really good OHL defenseman over his remaining junior years, especially if he gets on the right team. What I'm not sure of is how well he projects as a pro. He reminds me a bit of Kyle Quincey at the same age, and I had similar uncertainties about Quincey. But look at Quincey now. I'd gladly spend the 4th round pick on Quincey or Wilson.

Already Wilson has outshone McIver and Lehman on the Majors, if you ask me. He's a bit raw and uncertain at times, but he has the ability to rough it up and drop the gloves, and the ability to jump in on offense. Sometimes his timing isn't quite right, though. He also has a howitzer on the point, though he telegraphs it too much. But all of these things, he still has 2 more years in junior to refine, at the end of which who knows he might just end up like Quincey. Part of his perceived skating problem might be mental too, because sometimes he looks like he's thinking about turning one way or stopping or starting and then is second-guessing himself and ending up looking a bit more rough in that department than he really is.

WingerFan 12-20-2004 03:46 PM

Going against what OneSpeedOnly said, i disagree with the offensive side of him. He was a forward until training camp and if you watch him play, he'll rush it up at least 2-3 times a game, the most of any of the D. Sure he doesnt score, but he at least gets the puck into the offensive zone, and is pretty good about dangling around 2-3 of the other team.

FearTheFlyers 12-21-2004 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingerFan
Going against what OneSpeedOnly said, i disagree with the offensive side of him. He was a forward until training camp and if you watch him play, he'll rush it up at least 2-3 times a game, the most of any of the D. Sure he doesnt score, but he at least gets the puck into the offensive zone, and is pretty good about dangling around 2-3 of the other team.

Oh, for sure, What I was saying was that he didn't have much of a shot and was never on the PP, and didn't exactly create a whole lot. As far as breaking out of the zone, he's better than a lot of big guys in the league.

Default101 01-13-2005 08:54 AM

Tuzzolino -
Height - 6'5" not 6'6"
Weight - 227 not 220
Great Playmaker, hard shot but doesn't shoot as much as he could, he's a marginal two-way defenceman, when under pressure 90% of the time will choose to be Defensive before Offensive, though he is a great passer and can make a great first pass most of the time. He doesn't use his size as much as he should but i'm sure over his next 2 seasons Shawn Camp who coached Guelph to the Memorial Cup Tourament, will have enough impact on Tuzzolino to show him how to use his body better, because with the right coaching he could wind up being a high impact player it's early but IMO he could be a #2 Pairing defenceman in the NHL if his assets are used to their full extent.

And yes i have seen him play about 5-8 times so far this year

The best comparison i can come up with at the moment would be a less offensive minded Jeff Schultz... being from sarnia i'd like to see him go first round but lets be realistic he's looking at somewhere in the 2nd round, how he plays now that Matthew Pelech is back and healthy in the line-up will determine if he's early mid or late 2nd... Tuzzolino and Pelech give Sarnia 2 huge defencemen, i think if he can outshine him in the 2nd half, it will make him stand out as a better big man, than he did while Pelech was injured, or if he was putting out a better performance than Tuzzolino.

NeutralityEleven 01-13-2005 10:04 AM

I'll chip in a bit on the Blunden assessments as I've seen him play about 10 games this year and have been watching him for 2 years now with a little bit on Lawrence too...

Blind Gardien hit the nail on the head with Blunden's assessment, however I do disagree with one point and thats Blunden's physical play. He's had the injury bug, and not to question his character, but he didn't exactly try to play through it or give 100% every night through a lower back injury. Now, I wouldn't expect a kid to come out and bang and crash with a sore back, but you can still backcheck. His defense does need work and thats for sure. He has been great on the penalty kill, but lacks the positioning know-how in even strength situations.

This year has been a tumultuous one for Blunden. He has had his share of ups and downs (ie injuries, he's been called out once and has been playing with different linemates until recently) Blunden has been playing with another top prospect in Ryan O'Marra and the two have been looking for a LW to play with for the longest time. Blunden really hasn't been expected to carry the offense with Geoff Platt leading the league in goals, so his offensive numbers aren't noticed.

One thing I will hand to Blunden is he certainly has shown flashes of being a complete 2 way player. I have yet to see him play an entire game with all these qualities, but the ability is there. He can work the powerplay in front of the net, he can be physical along the boards, he will backcheck, he will dump the puck and go get it rather than playing the hands game, and he'll even drop the gloves when he gets frustrated. Blunden is also a solid person in the locker room and was a big reason why the team wasn't dismantled at the deadline. (Who would try anyway *cough*Owen Sound,Kitchener*cough* to beat London?) As far ar the draft, I'd say early 3rd.

Also heres a little on Chris Lawrence, on what should be a dangerous team in the Soo, Lawrence is the most frustrating 87 to watch in the league. The first time I saw Chris play was at the U-17 in St. John's where Team Ontario won a gold medal. At that time, I wished that Lawrence was drafted to a GTA team so that I could see him more. He dominated that tournament and showed me so much. So, when I recently saw him play with the Soo, I wondered if it was the same player. Sure looked like a huge frame, but that's all I noticed anymore. So what happened to the Lawrence I saw at the U-17?

Now I'm not going to say Chris has totally lost it because he has managed to put up 30 points, 2nd in the Soo to only Jeff Carter. But I will say that he seems to float a lot. For how big he is, one would think you'd notice a 6'4 center at some point during a game, but Lawrence managed to sneak under the radar. He has got all the raw talent, but he hasn't put it all together yet. He doesn't play physical at all, and when I saw him play he was playing with a hard nosed style winger Reg Thomas. On multiple occasions, and this sticks out to me, Lawrence can not cycle. He floats either on the near wall or in the far corner away from the action. I can understand waiting for a pass but when the Soo plays a dump and chase, I would expect to see him in there.

As to where Lawrence will be drafted, as I do see a team taking a chance on development, anywhere from the 6th back.