HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: Your personal encounters with a Montreal legend (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1194913)

LaTenderness 05-23-2012 10:05 AM

Your personal encounters with a Montreal legend

Which Habs legends have u had the pleasure (or displeasure) of meeting in person. How was it? Tell us a funny

Zaide 05-23-2012 11:38 AM

At a ancient-player game between the Habs and the Nords at Le Colisée Pepsi (i think it was 4-5 years ago), I was sitting directly three rows above Scotty Bowman. I asked for an autograph and complimented him on his outfit (I was young :laugh:) and on his accomplishments as a coach.

habitue* 05-23-2012 11:41 AM

Guy Lafleur few years ago. he took time to be photographed and sign autographs with everyone around. A cl;ass act and a very funny guy.

This guy got a solid, frank handshake.

And Gaston Gingras, a good down to earth guy.

cjbhab 05-23-2012 11:53 AM

met Danny Kristo and Chris Kreider at the WJHC in Saskatoon.

Yea I know.. Kristo's not a legend.... yet :naughty:

LaTenderness 05-23-2012 12:17 PM

Met Patrick Roy at a cantine up in lac beauport years ago shortly after the announcement that his jersey would be retired. He was in about to get in his lil sports car and the two blondes he was with were getting into an suv.

As he was about to open his door he noticed me starring at him in amazement and waited until I got up to the stairs by his car and he nodded his head at me. I somehow maintained my composure and said something to the effect that I was happy / looking forward to his jersey being retired. I later realized I had been so star struck that I hadn't even taken a glimpse over at the beautiful blondes he was with. As a Quebecer who grew up in Peterborough I never thought id get a chance to meet my childhood idol.

Bob in Niagara 05-23-2012 12:27 PM

I was at a Buffalo Sabres game quite a few years ago, all decked out in my Hab's gear. I wnt to get a beer between periods and as I walked away, I saw Serge Savard (then GM) sitting at a table in a lounge area. He spotted me and started motioning for me to go over to see him. When I got to his table, he invited me to join him. We had a nice chat while I enjoyed my beer. I also met Yvan Cournoyer and Henri Richard together at a sports celebrity dinner in St. Catharines, Ontario, a few years ago. They both signed my Hab's jersey (I have not worn it since).

Valois 05-23-2012 12:27 PM

I've met Carbonneau, Gainey, and Muller.

Carbonneau and Muller stood out as being particularly nice guys, Gainey seemed kind of stressed out - he was GM at the time so I'd imagine it was some work thing.

Henri Richard I've met but I can't remember much of that day.

Also met Richard Garneau.

WOW does he have nice french.

Habs 4 Life 05-23-2012 12:29 PM

Bob Gainey at the Pierrefonds complex years ago, was ok but didn't talk much

VirginiaMtlExpat 05-23-2012 12:33 PM

Guy Lapointe

Ran into Guy Lapointe last week in St Paul MN, where I had a scientific conference at the River Center (next to the Wild's digs at XCel Center). I was waiting to order coffee, and it was a long line with slow service. Behind me I heard a man with a Quebec accent speaking English. I turned and saw two guys with Minnesota Wild polo shirts chatting.

Didn't recognize the French speaker at first, who seemed to have a Cup ring on, and put on weight from his playing days: I asked him if he was a former player, then looking at his face a bit more, I recognized his face from his nose, and he confirmed his identity.

We had a pretty long chat, waiting for coffee, on how the game has changed (more injuries now because of a lack of respect, and his theory: kids brought up on violent video games), and Montreal's tribulations (he felt JM should have stayed on as coach...).

I joked with him that, as he only wore his Cup ring and no other, he was wedded to hockey.

Very nice man, after all. Very humble. Typical Canadian former player.
(Over the years, I've run into several former Habs from the 70s, including Henri Richard at an inter-club tennis match, and found them all really gracious.)

Redux91 05-23-2012 12:41 PM

I had gone to a Montreal - Tampa game at the bell one time, great seats in the red

I wanted some beer so i made the guy hand it to the person sitting the furthest and to pass it down to us, and my brother says "hey..i think were sitting next to someone in important, im not sure who tho", so i lean over and i see 4 seats away that its Henry Richard, and i couldnt believe i had forced him and his wife to pass us down a couple of beers lol

at some point in the 2nd, he got up for something, so i DASHED and used it as an oppurtunity to get more beer without bothering Richard

So of course i come back, and hes sitting down, and im next to him trying to get to my seat and he just looks up at me, no words were spoken,but i could tell he was giving me the "kid, .i AINT getting up again..." so i slowly nodded and slowly backed away into the tunnel lol, the security guard was chuckling, understanding the situation
so for the last 4 minutes of the 2nd period i had to watch standing up holding 2 beers in the hallway lol, but when the period ended he got up and walked towards and i was able to shake his hand so that was really awesome

game went to overtime and i believe koivu won it for us, and as i jumped up to give richard a high five he was alrdy gone! he had left before overtime started but his wife had stayed, she was really nice

so thats how i met the pocket rocket!

Kingbobert 05-23-2012 12:42 PM

met demers when i was young
Demers is as you see him on tv. The lovable uncle/grandpa everyone wishes they had.

He asked me if i liked hockey and i said yes and wished he was still our coach...this was probably in 96-97. He asked me about life and stuff as if i was talking to a family member super nice super enthusiastic. My dad finally came to pull me away and said sorry and he was like "no dont worry we were having a good convo' lol

habs03 05-23-2012 12:56 PM

A friends dad owners a few restaurant downtown, so I've seen a lot players while hanging out there, I talked to Carbonneau once, he was really nice. I've seen a bunch of players at clubs and so forth, best was Getzlaf, I told him to sign with us when his contract is up, he said he would if management wanted him, but he was drunk, Teemu Selanne was there that night, didn't speak to him, but man all the girls were around him.

Edit, it said MTL Legend, once I was at the hospital getting on to the elevator and Jean Beliveau was in it along with his wife, it didn't click at first cuz I was kinda young but then I around to get a better look, and his wife next to me, and she said "yes" with a smile, confirming it was him with a smile. He said bye to me as he left, best moment ever.

LaTenderness 05-23-2012 12:58 PM

Hahaha all the Girlies around Teemu love it!!

Joe Cole 05-23-2012 01:13 PM

I met Maurice Richard at Les Alles d'Anjou. He was shopping with his wife. Said hello and left him alone.

Lafleur when I was a kid, he shaked the entire team's hands and dropped the puck at a tournament in Anjou. HUGE hands. I have met him many times since, he eats at the same local resto as me. Playe against his son too.

Marcel Dionne. Call to my office to meet a friend, shook his hand too. Powerful.

Yvan Cournoyer. Sat next to him at the airport. Some woman asked if he was Yvon Lambert. I laughed.

Zdeno Chara. Again at the airport, I said "Zdeno, I always pick you as my first player when building a team in EA NHL 201X". He laughed. We talked for a while. Nice guy

Yvon Lambert called me to renew season tickets. That was weird. I also met him in his bar in the old forum.

There are others too....

roy munson 05-23-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redux91 (Post 50046549)
I had gone to a Montreal - Tampa game at the bell one time, great seats in the red

I wanted some beer so i made the guy hand it to the person sitting the furthest and to pass it down to us, and my brother says "hey..i think were sitting next to someone in important, im not sure who tho", so i lean over and i see 4 seats away that its Henry Richard, and i couldnt believe i had forced him and his wife to pass us down a couple of beers lol

at some point in the 2nd, he got up for something, so i DASHED and used it as an oppurtunity to get more beer without bothering Richard...

Pretty funny story! Reminds me of the queen in one of the Naked Gun movies when she passes hotdogs and beer along! lol

When I was younger, my dad used to get tickets pretty often and we went to the Forum a few times a month and we ALWAYS waited for the players after the game. They used to come out a little door off the side of the building. We waited for autographs and one time Yvon Lambert and Guy Lapointe came out and signed a bunch. Once they left, people around us started comparing notes and realised these two clowns signed every name on the roster but theirs. It was hilarious.

RC51 05-23-2012 01:30 PM

Well ok, first I met and skated with Jean Guy Talbot at Shamrock park back in 1958 ( I was 7 ) but I sure do remember that.

Ok next, back in 1970's I was working at Eaton's Laval, I sold Guy Lafleur a new Fisher Stereo system.
I also sold Gary Carter some stuff all that same summer.
I also sold Bob Gainey some minor electronics back in the same time frame in that Eaton's Laval store.

Met Bob Gainey again just last year again while he was shopping for some high end audio gear at Son Ideal downtown Montreal.

I also bumped into Vincent Lecavalier 2 years ago as he was sneaking into a very private and small but high end work out center on Donegani in point claire. All I said was "Bonjour Champion" he stopped and turned, smiled and said "merci". I think he really appreciated that I did not bug him for stuff.

Kingbobert 05-23-2012 01:32 PM

not meeting but i also ran into a couple of players but didnt talk to them

Saw Halak screaming at his GF at Winners in montreal trust

Saw Carey Price and Chipchura and some others during a training camp they were at the sports memorabilia store in eaton center and i remember Price looking at jersesy and Chipchura telling him, "I dont think they have you on there yet" and someone else said "ya but his face is all over the news paper, he's already a star".

And actually i met Chelios, i guess no so much a mtl legend but a Legend.
His favorite resto was next to my house and my dad met him and introduced me at some function.

Wait i met desjardins too i just remembered lol....I have a pic of me and him holding the cup

Richer and Dipietro too but not really legends

Redux91 05-23-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy munson (Post 50048229)
Pretty funny story! Reminds me of the queen in one of the Naked Gun movies when she passes hotdogs and beer along! lol

When I was younger, my dad used to get tickets pretty often and we went to the Forum a few times a month and we ALWAYS waited for the players after the game. They used to come out a little door off the side of the building. We waited for autographs and one time Yvon Lambert and Guy Lapointe came out and signed a bunch. Once they left, people around us started comparing notes and realised these two clowns signed every name on the roster but theirs. It was hilarious.

lol that hilarious, and my story also reminded me of that naked gun scene lmao

tonytwist15 05-23-2012 01:39 PM

Do Stéphane Quintal and Alex Tanguay qualify as legends?

This one does, though: Patrick Roy calls me "Sir" and apologizes to me on a regular basis.

VirginiaMtlExpat 05-23-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonytwist15 (Post 50048975)
Do Stéphane Quintal and Alex Tanguay qualify as legends?

This one does, though: Patrick Roy calls me "Sir" and apologizes to me on a regular basis.

This is a Ex-Habs thread. Hall of Fame players only ;) .

Godzilla 05-23-2012 02:02 PM

I sat next to Gainey on a flight from MTL to Las Vegas in February 2004. I remember discussing with him who he thought was going to win the cup and he predicted Tampa Bay. I secretly thought he was nuts. :laugh:

I met Beliveau once when I was young working at HMV. He bought a few movies and was really really nice to talk to.

Teufelsdreck 05-23-2012 02:58 PM

I saw Maurice Richard in passing but didn't have the opportunity to speak with him. I met Scotty Bowman (had lunch with him and Stan Fischler). I had conversations with Claude Ruel (who told me I was wrong about underrating Mario Tremblay as a rookie) and Jean Perron (who didn't have anything illuminating to say). I chatted briefly with Steve Shutt, Jacques Lemaire, and Brian Engblom. I got Guy Lafleur's autograph for my grandson (but thought he was a cold fish). I haven't encountered any recent Habs.

24Cups 05-23-2012 03:19 PM

Met Jean Beliveau at a banquet as a 10-year. Told him he was my favorite player and asked him to sign a puck for me. Still can't forget the sincere smile and pat on the shoulder he gave me when he handed the puck back.

Travis Moen 05-23-2012 03:23 PM

Went to donate blood, met with a legend, I still have no idea who it was

Kobe Armstrong 05-23-2012 03:54 PM

I gave PK Subban a high 5 when he was coming out of the tunnel right before a game. Does that count?