HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Curve Question: Drury to Ovi (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1195391)

Splitbtw 05-23-2012 10:30 PM

Curve Question: Drury to Ovi

I have been using a Drury clone from Bauer (Staal) or Warrior (Kovalev). I have grown really comfortable with the curve except for when it comes to making a toe drag move. Recently, I have gotten a little better at it but would still prefer a heel curve that offers me some toe.

I have been looking at the Ovi/Kremilin curve from Warrior to try out. The more I look at it, the more it looks like a mild heel curve like a Drury with a bunch of toe added.

Am I correct in this observation? Other than adjusting left/right aiming and having more toe, how much different would the Ovi curve be in adjusting to keeping shots down? I have no problem with the wedge which is why I wouldn't be too worried.

AIREAYE 05-24-2012 09:10 AM

Ehh, you'd be better off finding a P106, or a pro stock pattern. No one can tell you how much YOU need to adjust your shot...it's your technique.

Jarick 05-24-2012 09:47 AM

Disclosure: I only have had the Ovi for a week and played on ice once with it.

But I found that although they look similar, they play almost nothing like each other. The Drury you cup the puck and fire toward the target, best with snappers and slappers. The Ovi you can't do that because the puck catches the curve and wobbles.

I found you have to do a traditional old school wrist shot with the Ovi, exaggerating the pull back once the puck is near the toe. This really delayed my release. Granted, it was probably one of the most powerful wrist shots I've had, but my snapper with a Sakic was at least as hard and far more accurate and easy to control since I'm used to it.

If you go for it, just be prepared to change your shooting technique. If you're more of a wrist shot guy, it could be better for you.

I personally went from the Drury to Sakic because I liked the extra curve for puck control (like you're saying), plus it's easier to keep shots and passes down. But I found shooting is incredibly similar, cupping the puck and snapping with a push-pull toward the target. I did find the Sakic more accurate left-to-right because the Drury is kinked at the heel and would pull my shots to the right (I'm a lefty), while the Sakic is neutral until the middle, where I carry and fire the puck from.

Just my two cents...

Splitbtw 05-24-2012 06:20 PM

I should clarify that I am looking at the P08 from Bauer which appears to be a milder version of the Crazy Ovi/Krem. So far I have only looked at pictures and when I cover the toe, it looks just like a heel wedge.

Jarick 05-24-2012 09:43 PM

Well that I haven't used. I used the Crazy Ovi. Don't like it at all. I'd still like a Sakic that's a bit more open, a bit more rockered at the heel, and a bit more rockered at the toe.

Saucy Dangles 05-25-2012 02:14 AM

I'm using the the Ovi curve on my APX right now. Came from using the 91a Staal. It took some getting use to, but actually its a really fun curve to play around with. Makes toe drags simple and because its got a descent mid toe curve you don't have to start the puck on the heel of the blade to get good velocity on wristers and snappers. Def. a word of warning though, bar down all night, so you might have to take some off your shot or really follow through on your shots.

Jarick 05-25-2012 09:09 AM

First time I got hold of one in warmups it damn near took someone's head off who was skating behind the net.

Seriously, who skates behind the net in warmups while guys are shooting? Skate in the middle of the rink if you want to.

Splitbtw 05-26-2012 04:56 PM

I picked up a T1 in the P08 curve as it looked to be a P91a with more toe. After using it in stick time, pick up and then another pick up, it is the most comfortable I have felt with a curve. Shots stayed low using the same mechanics with the P91a. The big difference was I liked to take snappers using the drag from toe to heel and with this curve I could just snap the wrists and send one. I adapted a a more comfortable release that delayed the goalies reacting. Being a able to shoot off the toe whether pulling it in close or just snapping one in stride is huge.

Slappers came off well from the heel as I am used to and I had a few toe drag moves though I am still not used to the motion.

I liked the Sakic curve for the pocket, the Staal for the heel and sweetspot and the P08 for both and the snapper off the toe in stride.

As I first used it, only a few went high which was no different from the Staal/Drury, but as I continued, everything was crossbar or lower.

My only regret is I dont have another in case a freak break happens because of how comfortable I was today.