HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Ryan Russell Returns - One Year Two-Way (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1195723)

Viqsi 05-24-2012 03:53 PM

Ryan Russell Returns - One Year Two-Way

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=396751
http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=632694

Waiting to hear the terms, but I wanted to keep him as our 13th forward anyways. If it's two-way then it's probably reasonable.

Still waiting to hear news on Niki6 or MacKenzie... :D

blahblah 05-24-2012 03:55 PM

Can't go without a Russell can we? I am fairly neutral on this. I didn't mind his play when he was up here.

Hipster Letestu 05-24-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 50103011)
Can't go without a Russell can we? I am fairly neutral on this. I didn't mind his play when he was up here.

Agreed, decent forward for spot duty and PK duty. Kinda hoping he spends most of his time in Springfield or being a healthy scratch.

Viqsi 05-24-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by astall35 (Post 50111603)
Agreed, decent forward for spot duty and PK duty. Kinda hoping he spends most of his time in Springfield or being a healthy scratch.

That would require zero injuries, and we all know that ain't gonna happen. :)

That said, I would certainly prefer far less injuries...

chunkbox 05-24-2012 08:47 PM

meh

decent move ... the only way i wanted him back was if it was a 2 way deal ... so i am ok with it ...

Cyclones Rock 05-25-2012 01:03 AM

Russel is standard issue organizational depth. Would think it highly unlikely he'd break camp with the big club.

hockey17jp 06-18-2012 10:11 PM

If people think this guy is going to help us into the playoffs they are mistaken.

Ryan Russell is just another one of those minor league players that only the Blue Jackets could use in the pros. :shakehead :rant: :cry:

Nanabijou 06-18-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey17jp (Post 51066033)
If people think this guy is going to help us into the playoffs they are mistaken.

Ryan Russell is just another one of those minor league players that only the Blue Jackets could use in the pros. :shakehead :rant: :cry:

I'm not aware of anyone here who thinks he's going to get the Jackets into the playoffs.

I would guess that many would agree that he is a good minor league player who can help out in Springfield and can fill in up here, particularly on a checking line and the PK, if needed after injuries. Good signing in my opinion.

hockey17jp 06-18-2012 10:46 PM

Good AHL player for sure, but not a good NHL player. I think the Jackets should focus more on players that can help us for the whole year. That being said, we still have a full off season ahead of us so who am I to complain about an early signing. :sarcasm:

Viqsi 06-19-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey17jp (Post 51066033)

Please enlighten me as to how many other teams have better 13th forwards on their rosters.

I swear to G-d, half to three-quarters of the criticisms of the Jackets rosters are based less on looking at the rest of the league and more on "well, the team sucked, so obviously [X specific player/situation/whatever] also sucks." I'd expect that from inattentive idiots elsewhere in the league, not actual Blue Jackets hockey fans.

EspenK 06-20-2012 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 51085677)
Please enlighten me as to how many other teams have better 13th forwards on their rosters.

I swear to G-d, half to three-quarters of the criticisms of the Jackets rosters are based less on looking at the rest of the league and more on "well, the team sucked, so obviously [X specific player/situation/whatever] also sucks." I'd expect that from inattentive idiots elsewhere in the league, not actual Blue Jackets hockey fans.

You are soooo right-individually the Jacket players are among the top 3 at their position in the league. Its just that collectively they suck. :sarcasm:

Seriously, I do think a big part of the problem is the way the team has been constructed. It is a collection of players, who individually are ok, but don't necessarily mesh well with others on the team in whatever the system de jour happens to be.

Viqsi 06-20-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EspenK (Post 51124045)
You are soooo right-individually the Jacket players are among the top 3 at their position in the league. Its just that collectively they suck. :sarcasm:

Seriously, I do think a big part of the problem is the way the team has been constructed. It is a collection of players, who individually are ok, but don't necessarily mesh well with others on the team in whatever the system de jour happens to be.

That's part of it. The other part is that we simply don't have enough decent players.

If we were looking at RRuss as our second line LW, then, yeah, I'd say there's a case for kvetching. But the only way he manages to get that high on the depth chart is if Umberger, Prospal, Calvert, and Gillies all get abducted by aliens. ;)

Cyclones Rock 06-21-2012 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 51136849)
That's part of it. The other part is that we simply don't have enough decent players.

If we were looking at RRuss as our second line LW, then, yeah, I'd say there's a case for kvetching. But the only way he manages to get that high on the depth chart is if Umberger, Prospal, Calvert, and Gillies all get abducted by aliens. ;)

The Blue Jackets aren't that lucky. They'd grab JJ, Nikitin and Dorsett.

EspenK 06-21-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock (Post 51172975)
The Blue Jackets aren't that lucky. They'd grab JJ, Nikitin and Dorsett.

:handclap: :laugh: