HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Mitchell says what we're all thinking... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1195871)

TonySCV 05-24-2012 08:11 PM

Mitchell says what we're all thinking...

"Is this happening?" :laugh:

http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=632722

I can't think of a more deserving guy. 719 games. 12 years. Never been in the Final until now. One of many MVP's on this Kings team.

Asked about the Kings’ seven-day break before the start of the Stanley Cup Finals, Willie Mitchell grinned and said that the lengthy rest period would be welcomed by the team’s "over-35 crowd.’’

Crowd?

"Is there anyone else there? I put my foot in my mouth,’’ Mitchell said with a laugh.

Mitchell is the crowd. He turned 35 last month. He is the Kings' oldest player, and nobody has waited longer to reach this point. No current King had totaled more regular-season games without reaching the Finals than Mitchell, who ran his total to 719 games as part of a 12-year NHL career with New Jersey, Dallas, Minnesota, Vancouver and the Kings.

Mitchell had reached the Western Conference Finals with Minnesota in 2003 but lost. On Tuesday in Glendale, Ariz., he was on the ice when Dustin Penner’s overtime goal sent the Kings to the Finals.

"It’s still personally -- I can’t speak for everyone -- still a pretty surreal feeling,’’ Mitchell said Thursday. "It’s been a long time coming. It’s what you work for, as a player and teammates. I was fortunate enough to be out on the ice when Big Pens scored. Some guys were jumping. I was just sitting there like, `Is this happening?’ I feel fortunate to get this chance and get the opportunity to play for the Stanley Cup for real."

"As a kid, you play, how many, road-hockey games playing for it. Now I’m going to be on one of two teams to do it for the real deal. So I’m really looking forward to it and I’m just going to enjoy it. I had a little time there where I didn’t know if hockey was going to even continue, for that matter, so I think at this time of year -- after going through that, too -- it just kind of allows me to enjoy it that much more.’’

Richie10 05-24-2012 08:18 PM

If the Kings win the Cup, seeing Mitchell hoist the Cup will probably be what turns on the waterworks for me. He's waited so long and been nothing but a class act his entire career. He had that terrible concussion a couple years back and nobody wanted to take a risk on him. He didn't even know if he was going to play hockey again. And now he's a monstrously important defenseman for us and going to compete for the Cup.

IF we win the Cup, it should go from Brown, to Quick, to Mitchell.

fyrescorp 05-24-2012 08:42 PM

I can't think of a more deserving player. I've wanted him on the Kings from his Minnesota days.

Kershaw 05-24-2012 08:59 PM

Will request for the Willy Wonka Chocolate Factory avatar when the Rangers get bounced.......

RAZZIE King 05-24-2012 09:11 PM

Just think...in five years...he'll be older than I am...

outofrange 05-24-2012 09:17 PM

Man, I ****ing love Mitchie. The guy is a warrior and a leader. Hopefully he can raise the cup with our gang.

Sydor25 05-24-2012 09:41 PM

Mitchell had more faith in the roster than a lot of us when he re-signed for two years, but even he has to be a little surprise that they are 12-2 so far.

Go Kings!!

Dean's best UFA signing as a GM. Gave him the two years that was needed to get him signed.

null33 05-24-2012 11:20 PM

You all remember what he said back when he signed his extension?

When they asked him why he extended with the Kings when, after the way he had played the last coupla years, he probably could have done pretty well for himself as a free agent?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willie Mitchell
I want to win the Stanley Cup.

Ziggy Stardust 05-25-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lars H (Post 50118935)
You all remember what he said back when he signed his extension?

When they asked him why he extended with the Kings when, after the way he had played the last coupla years, he probably could have done pretty well for himself as a free agent?

And that's the reason why he turned down San Jose and Washington to sign with LA.

johnjm22 05-25-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonySCV (Post 50113569)
I can't think of a more deserving guy. 719 games. 12 years. Never been in the Final until now. One of many MVP's on this Kings team.

Indeed. I love this guy, and I think he showed faith in the Kings when he signed that extension.

One of the best UFA signings in franchise history.

Herby 05-25-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjm22 (Post 50122029)
One of the best UFA signings in franchise history.

Absolutely. No question about it.

This guy is a PROS PRO. The Kind of guy you want your younger players to be like, on and off the ice.

I hope this guy keeps his level of play for a few more years, but when it is time to retire I hope he is retained as either a coach or member of management.

If this team can win four more games there will be many deserving players on this roster, none more than #33.

topliner967 05-25-2012 04:40 PM

Gotta admit I haven't been the biggest Mitchell fan, but he has been nothing but solid in the playoffs, and I really think he has helped Voynov's game along. Seems like a great guy, the type of player you want to see getting a real shot at the cup.

Andrew Knoll 05-25-2012 08:01 PM

Willie is JAZZED. Talked to him today, he never stopped smiling and was in even higher spirits than usual. Consummate pro, absolute warrior and one of my favorite guys to watch well before he was a King. Like Richie10 above, I think I'd be happiest for him of the Kings can win this thing. I was at the game where Malkin knocked him out, was there the first day he got to camp in LA and have loved covering him these past two years. Just an awesome dude with everyone--teammates, coaches, fans, reporters, hell, even opposing players respect him.

Butch 19 05-25-2012 08:15 PM

Good stuff. I"ve always liked Willie.

He is really the only nuck I liked a few years ago. Hmm, I don't think I like any of them now.