HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Worst Players Ever to Play for the Isles (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1195881)

LotteryForLife* 05-24-2012 08:28 PM

Worst Players Ever to Play for the Isles

I know Yashin and DiPi will be two popular choices here, but both were all stars at some point so lets leave them out of this conversation. Who are the worst players you've ever seen as Islanders?

Ex: Jon Sim, Nate Thompson, Bruno Gervais, Oleg Kvasha

RafterRat 05-24-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LotteryForLife (Post 50114121)
I know Yashin and DiPi will be two popular choices here, but both were all stars at some point so lets leave them out of this conversation. Who are the worst players you've ever seen as Islanders?

Ex: Jon Sim, Nate Thompson, Bruno Gervais, Oleg Kvasha

There are worse.....

Dave Rombaugh come to mind.... not much came from the first season team either. I would also add Nillson, Nokelainen, and Scissons.

Riddick 05-24-2012 08:37 PM

karpotsov..sp? the isles gave up something like a 2nd for him and i dont think he ever played one game for them. janne niinimaa is another i recall.

LotteryForLife* 05-24-2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddick (Post 50114397)
karpotsov..sp? the isles gave up something like a 2nd for him and i dont think he ever played one game for them. janne niinimaa is another i recall.

Richard Zednik cost us a 2nd too. Ick

IslesRock4 05-24-2012 08:41 PM

Marc-Andre Bergeron

islesfan3991 05-24-2012 08:43 PM

Tavares AINEC. He's not even top 25 under 25!!!!!

:sarcasm:

Mr Wentworth 05-24-2012 08:51 PM

We need some limitations.

What about people who played one game?

Are they really viable options?

How about Joe Day?

1993-1994 Islanders
games 24
goals 0
assists 0
points 0
pims 30
shots 16

WangMustGo 05-24-2012 09:00 PM

Rolston, the guy was not only terrible but he was lazy. Maybe not the worst player, but he bothered me more than any other player in recent memory. The guy was just lazy, showed no heart, and got undeserved minutes. Only to follow up with a very good performance in Boston.

Janson 05-24-2012 09:04 PM

Hextall is right up there with DP for me. "Hands of Stone" Ted Donato was so bad they brought him back, gootta luv gawys fram Bastin!

bstash19 05-24-2012 09:04 PM

Aris Brimanis and Gino Odjick come to mind. there are a few more i would like to list, but ive supressed how bad the isles teams were from 95-99.

islesfan3991 05-24-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janson (Post 50115195)
Hextall is right up there with DP for me. "Hands of Stone" Ted Donato was so bad they brought him back, gootta luv gawys fram Bastin!

I wouldn't put DP in a group of the worst. Yes he has had problems staying on the ice but he was never a horrible goalie before all the injuries. I think there are better players to chose then him.

SLAPSHOT723 05-24-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IslesRock4 (Post 50114519)
Marc-Andre Bergeron

and Rolston, for sure.

Janson 05-24-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LotteryForLife (Post 50114429)
Richard Zednik cost us a 2nd too. Ick

That poor guy had his a sick kid or something that spring which was the reason he left before the playoffs. Washington is a bunch of aHoles for fleecing Snow.

On Edge 05-24-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RafterRat (Post 50114241)
There are worse.....

Dave Rombaugh come to mind.... not much came from the first season team either. I would also add Nillson, Nokelainen, and Scissons.

Lol...that was first guy who came to my mind...but it was DOUG Rombough...and he might have been worst guy I ever saw in the league. Islanders traded Brian Spencer to Buffalo for him and then later traded him and Ernie Hicke (I think...) for JP Parise.

Symon Asher 05-24-2012 09:16 PM

Joe Sacco was bad. Brett Lindros was horrible. Craig Janney was the worst. The Isles got him at the end of his career . During the Cup years Gord Lane would get my vote.

On Edge 05-24-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Symon Asher (Post 50115561)
Joe Sacco was bad. Brett Lindros was horrible. Craig Janney was the worst. The Isles got him at the end of his career . During the Cup years Gord Lane would get my vote.

Wow. Disagree there big time. He was a very good 5th or 6th - extremely physical defenseman and much bigger part of the success on the Island than some realize. Hugely underrated I've always thought. Man - I remember when he first got here in 1979 he was the type of player the team really needed to get over the hump. He was a beast on the ice and hammered guys and stood up for teammates. Good defensive guy who Arbour really appreciated on cup winning teams which is good enough for me. Four time cup winner and not in finals against the Oilers for the 5th cup run - and they missed him tremendously in that series.

RMimagery 05-24-2012 09:29 PM

There's worst players and most underwhelming players regarding their contract and expectations...I'm more interested in the latter.

Reasoner comes to mind currently. Niinimaa bothered me because it looked like he could be capable but made so many lazy plays or bad decisions.

beach 05-24-2012 09:35 PM

Pat Price and Dave Chyzowski (sp)

islandermaniac 05-24-2012 09:38 PM

Nino Niederreiter: 55 gp, 1 g, 0 a, 1 pt, -29.

find me a worse season than this...especially for a guy who doesn't kill penalties or doesn't fight or win faceoffs, etc.

LotteryForLife* 05-24-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WangMustGo (Post 50115099)
Rolston, the guy was not only terrible but he was lazy. Maybe not the worst player, but he bothered me more than any other player in recent memory. The guy was just lazy, showed no heart, and got undeserved minutes. Only to follow up with a very good performance in Boston.

Ooh. Good one. Rolston was an awful Islander

LotteryForLife* 05-24-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by islandermaniac (Post 50116139)
Nino Niederreiter: 55 gp, 1 g, 0 a, 1 pt, -29.

find me a worse season than this...especially for a guy who doesn't kill penalties or doesn't fight or win faceoffs, etc.

Can we omit 19 year olds from this discussion? Did you watch any games this season? Did ya happen to see who his linemates were?

LotteryForLife* 05-24-2012 09:46 PM

I got one! I got one!

Marty Reasoner

What a pile of dog crap this guy was this year

ScaredStreit 05-24-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janson (Post 50115281)
That poor guy had his a sick kid or something that spring which was the reason he left before the playoffs. Washington is a bunch of aHoles for fleecing Snow.

Zednik was short-lived, and he wasn't THAT bad. Certainly nowhere near bad enough to call him the worst Islander ever.

Islanderfan17 05-24-2012 09:47 PM

I'm a young fan, so I can only comment on like the 07 team and onwards. I'd have to say

1) Bruno Gervais - Ugh is all I have to say

2) Mike Mottau - This guy just flat out sucked, always expected the worst when he was on the ice.

All I got right now, I'm sure I could think of a couple more. Honorable mention to Brian Rolston for being a lazy **** collecting a paycheck.

Don't say Sim! Sim was legendary :laugh: (a common joke between me and my Islander fan cousin)

19 in a row 05-24-2012 09:50 PM

I know it is recent but has anyone mentioned Mottau ? He was good for at least one goal a game.... for the other team. I can't remember a more brutal veteran.

I know we think our D is in trouble because we are only returning 3 guys but when you consider the other 4 D-men for most of the season were Mottau, Jurcina, Staios and Eaton (we may likely keep one of the last 2), I don't see anyway we can be worse next year no matter who is there.

Edit: I see someone just beat me to it for Mottau.