HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Justin Schultz signs with Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1196363)

Run the Jewels 05-25-2012 06:06 PM

Justin Schultz signs with Oilers

Per Bob MacKenzie

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...57334379102210

No idea if the Wings would be a potential suitor but we can definitely use NHL ready d-men.

ProPAIN 05-25-2012 06:50 PM

There are plenty of teams that can give him a full time roster spot. How would the Wings fit him in their plans? I'd love to strengthen our defensive prospect pool, but I don't think they can offer him what he wants. He's also inexperienced and throwing in a rookie with absolutely no NHL experience full-time isn't the Red Wings way of operating. If he's ok with starting the season in GR and working himself into the team, then by all means, go get him Kenny.

I can't help to think that he and Dekeyser could potentially be a Suter-Weber pairing :naughty:

Run the Jewels 05-25-2012 08:52 PM

One hockey commentator compared him to Drew Doughty. :naughty:

SoupNazi 05-25-2012 08:57 PM

We'll never get him, unfortunately.

sully61 05-26-2012 12:01 AM

Go for him now, Weber next year instead of Suter (right handed shot), Dekeyser also next year and our d will look like
Smith- Weber
Kronwall- Shultz
Ericsson- Dekeyser

This year itd be

Lidstrom- White
Kronwall- Smith
Ericsson- Shultz

TheFatOne 05-26-2012 04:34 AM

Sign Shultz and Dekeyser, let them play one year in AHL.

Shultz - Dekeyser
Exelby - Janik
Almqvist - Lashoff

wingnutjeff 05-26-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully61 (Post 50167289)
Go for him now, Weber next year instead of Suter (right handed shot), Dekeyser also next year and our d will look like
Smith- Weber
Kronwall- Shultz
Ericsson- Dekeyser

This year itd be

Lidstrom- White
Kronwall- Smith
Ericsson- Shultz

Nick won't be coming back to fill a position while we wait to build for the future. With no big committment by management for next year he has no reason to return.

Run the Jewels 05-26-2012 09:08 AM

It's kind of funny that during a point in time when we have a definite need for defenseman and plenty of money to throw around that people are of the opinion that we cannot make a strong move to sign a guy who many consider to be a d-man who wil play at a very high level. No, we've got to keep Kyle Quincey and we can't possibly give up on Jakub Kindl at this point. Lidstrom may not be coming back but hey it's all good, no need for a guy who projects to be a top 2 defenseman and costs you nothing more than an NHL contract. :laugh:

Run the Jewels 05-26-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landskronala (Post 50172249)

Shultz - Dekeyser
Exelby - Janik
Almqvist - Lashoff

Sign Schultz and say Peace Out to Quincey and Kindl. Red Wings depth on defense:

Suter (if we can sign him)
Kronwall
Smith
Schultz (if we can sign him)
Ericsson
White
Ouellet
Sproul
Jensen
Backman
Dekeyser (if we can sign him)
Almqvist
Lashoff

That is just an insane amount of talent and depth. Only the bottom two guys are Kindl type guys where you don't know if they'll make it to the NHL.

Zetterberg4Captain 05-26-2012 02:16 PM

schultz is the EXACT type of player holland needs to get off his arse and sign

you can never have too many top prospects

newfy 05-26-2012 02:30 PM

I think the wings do actually have an outside shot at getting him believe it or not I would have them around probably 5th in likelihood of signing him.

Maybe old team mate Brendan Smith could convince him?

Getting Smith and Schultz and then Dekeyser next year would have the future looking so bright. Hell trade Kindl to the ducks just for his negotiating rights for all I care.

Imagine signing 27 year old Suter, and then having Smith Schultz and Dekeyser all waiting in the wings. Rebuild complete.

SoupNazi 05-26-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain (Post 50184781)
schultz is the EXACT type of player holland needs to get off his arse and sign

you can never have too many top prospects

Thirty teams will be after him. We have better odds of landing Suter or Parise.

Zetterberg4Captain 05-26-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupNazi (Post 50185377)
Thirty teams will be after him. We have better odds of landing Suter or Parise.

disagree, because those two players have to first actually make it to free agency which at best is not likely and at worst not gonna happen and then detroit will be competing with the big boys of free agency all equally as likely to be a top destination coupled with their proven desire to spend money to get what they want(even though it sometimes fails misserably)

Henkka 05-26-2012 02:52 PM

Maybe Schultz goes to Montreal, because his former teammate Blake Geoffrion plays there.
Maybe Schultz goes to NY Rangers, because his former teammates Derek Stepan and Ryan McDonagh are playing there.
Maybe Schultz goes to Nashville, because his former teammate Craig Smith plays there.
Maybe Schultz goes to Toronto, because his former teammate Jake Gardiner plays there.
Or maybe He comes to Detroit, because his former teammate Brendan Smith plays here.

SoupNazi 05-26-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henkka (Post 50185865)
Maybe Schultz goes to Montreal, because his former teammate Blake Geoffrion plays there.
Maybe Schultz goes to NY Rangers, because his former teammates Derek Stepan and Ryan McDonagh are playing there.
Maybe Schultz goes to Nashville, because his former teammate Craig Smith plays there.
Maybe Schultz goes to Toronto, because his former teammate Jake Gardiner plays there.
Or maybe He comes to Detroit, because his former teammate Brendan Smith plays here.

Or maybe he goes somewhere without a former teammate.

I'm pretty sure there are Justin Schultz threads on all thirty team boards right now. I can't even get excited over this because, no matter what people say, he's a prospect.

RedWingsNow* 05-26-2012 03:15 PM

We literally don't have room
We already have
1. Kronwall
2. White
3. Quincey
4. Ericsson
5. Smith
6. Quincey

We're going to sign Lidstrom likely. Whether he retires or not, there's a chance we make a play for Suter. Now we're up to 8. Oh, and we still haven't really even replaced Stuart yet with a defenseman who can play with some toughness,

SoupNazi 05-26-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 50186535)
We already have
1. Kronwall
2. White
3. Quincey
4. Ericsson
5. Smith
6. Quincey

We're going to sign Lidstrom likely. Whether he retires or not, there's a chance we make a play for Suter. Now we're up to 8. Oh, and we still haven't really even replaced Stuart yet with a defenseman who can play with some toughness,

So we cloned Quincey, Bob?

CloneHakanPlease* 05-26-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landskronala (Post 50172249)

Shultz - Dekeyser
Exelby - Janik
Almqvist - Lashoff

Yeah, he's going to sign with the Wings so he can play in the AHL instead of a NHL spot with another team.

Run the Jewels 05-26-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupNazi (Post 50186687)
So we cloned Quincey, Bob?

:laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloneHakanPlease (Post 50187287)
Yeah, he's going to sign with the Wings so he can play in the AHL instead of a NHL spot with another team.

Exactly. I can understand when a guy like Fabrian Brunnstrom decides to sign with the Stars so he can play in the NHL right away rather than spend a couple years in Grand Rapids. We are an organization that spends money, is always in playoff contention and has 50/50 odds of a long playoff run, his coach at Wisconsin is Patrick Eaves' father, he may be friends with Brendan Smith, and have a definite paucity of top 2/4 defensemen but no, there's no way Schultz would ever consider playing in Detroit.

This is the offseason on a hockey message board. Kudos to you, internet message board poster who can't even entertain the idea of acquiring an NHL ready guy for nothing other than an NHL contract. Please hit up cap geek and give us all your different lineups with only the guys we currently have on the roster because thoughts of acquiring any UFAs is just far too risky a concept to enterain. :p:

Henkka 05-27-2012 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Bob (Post 50186535)

Don't have room? Trades are always possible, if there's too much people.

If I would be Justin Schultz, I'd sign with New York Rangers. What defence they would have in the future:

Girardi - Staal
McDonagh - Schultz
DelZotto - Erixon

He would still be there a 1st PP defenceman with Del Zotto. Right-Left pairing. Perfect.

InjuredChoker 05-27-2012 04:46 AM

I think Mackenzie said that Schultz wants a lot of minutes and #1 pp time.

sparr0w 05-27-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemisti (Post 50205215)

If he's a righty he can have plenty of PP time here.

Run the Jewels 05-27-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norrisnick (Post 50206627)
If he's a righty he can have plenty of PP time here.

Exactly. White's a good fit but his play fell off pretty badly later in the season. Move him down to the 3-6 spot and the 2nd PP unit and he's a much better fit. Now I'm not saying we're guaranteed to get Schultz, I'm just saying we should be able to make a competitive offer in every meaningful way possible: money, playing time, organization, etc.

Vatican Roulette 05-27-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemisti (Post 50205215)

Best chance to play and develop, but I hope he goes to a team that can develop him for his careers sake.

Sometimes a player isn't ready and it needs time in the minors.

Henkka 05-27-2012 11:11 AM

I wouldn't mind Smith-Schultz, Ouellet-Sproul defence in the future. :naughty: