HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Speculation: Justin Schultz de-registers from Winsconsin (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1196365)

Vanier Park 05-25-2012 06:07 PM

Justin Schultz de-registers from Winsconsin

It is confirmed that Justin Schultz de-registered from Wisconsin earlier this week, starting a process that could him a UFA on July 1, 2012.

Bob McKenzie of TSN panel suggested that Anaheim would probably trade the rights now. What do you think Canucks could offer to obtain his rights?

Quote:

Obvious strategy now for ANA is to trade Schultz's rights to club Schultz will sign with but Ducks would need Schultz's cooperation on that.
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...58138511073281

Verviticus 05-25-2012 06:11 PM

the title of the thread scared me

but yeah i think consensus is on one of the following teams

vancouver = toronto > edmonton > rangers

or something like that depending on which fans you ask

Canucker 05-25-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanier Park (Post 50143307)
It is confirmed that Justin Schultz de-registered from Wisconsin earlier this week, starting a process that could him a UFA on July 1, 2012.

Bob McKenzie of TSN panel suggested that Anaheim would probably trade the rights now. What do you think Canucks could offer to obtain his rights?

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...58138511073281

Might want to edit the title.

Vanier Park 05-25-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canucker (Post 50143437)
Might want to edit the title.

Just did. Friday afternoon rush I guess. Thanks for the heads up

Canucker 05-25-2012 06:19 PM

I'm not sure why ANA will need Schultz's help though? If they tip their hand and approach a team regarding his rights, that team can just wait it out knowing that they are his preferred destination.

metric 05-25-2012 06:19 PM

If Schultz really is interested in signing here and Anaheim intends to trade his rights then Gillis better be all over that. I'm sure Gillis should have a good indication of a Schultz's plans and if we are high on his list and It takes a 2nd round pick to get his rights then I say do it. 56th (55 likely since NJD I'm sure will choose to forfeit their first round pick) is basically a crap shoot anyways. Of course that also means we won't have a pick in rounds 2 through 4 again but we can worry about that later.

Vanier Park 05-25-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metric (Post 50143727)
If Schultz really is interested in signing here and Anaheim intends to trade his rights then Gillis better be all over that. I'm sure Gillis should have a good indication of a Schultz's plans and if we are high on his list and It takes a 2nd round pick to get his rights then I say do it. 56th (55 likely since NJD I'm sure will choose to forfeit their first round pick) is basically a crap shoot anyways. Of course that also means we won't have a pick in rounds 2 through 4 again but we can worry about that later.

I agree with this. Good defencemen are hard to get by, we don't know what will happen to Salo and hopefully we have seen the last of Rome. I would go with a 2nd-rounder and a prospect if needed to.

metric 05-25-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canucker (Post 50143705)
I'm not sure why ANA will need Schultz's help though? If they tip their hand and approach a team regarding his rights, that team can just wait it out knowing that they are his preferred destination.

Because there is more than one preferred destination. If one team wants to risk it and wait, another team will jump in.

ddawg1950 05-25-2012 06:31 PM

I know, of course, there are rules about contacting (tampering) another player or his agent.

Does anyone know if the is any rule that would prevent Schultz's agent from contacting the Canucks...or any other team for that matter?

Canucker 05-25-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metric (Post 50143957)
Because there is more than one preferred destination. If one team wants to risk it and wait, another team will jump in.

They don't need Schultz's help though. They can field offers from any team that feels like they can persuade Schultz that they can give him everything he wants. All they need to do is put his name out there as available and wait for the offers to roll in, then negotiate with the teams who submit the better offers.

CanucksOo 05-25-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canucker (Post 50144187)
They don't need Schultz's help though. They can field offers from any team that feels like they can persuade Schultz that they can give him everything he wants. All they need to do is put his name out there as available and wait for the offers to roll in, then negotiate with the teams who submit the better offers.

They may be able to get a much better offer if the interested teams know that they are high on Schultz's list and/or know that he'll sign with them. I think that's what this McKenzie tweet is alluding to:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Obvious strategy now for ANA is to trade Schultz's rights to club Schultz will sign with but Ducks would need Schultz's cooperation on that.

Canucker 05-25-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanucksOo (Post 50144321)
They may be able to get a much better offer if the interested teams know that they are high on Schultz's list and/or know that he'll sign with them. I think that's what this McKenzie tweet is alluding to:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

I think the 3-4 teams who are the most likely to be on Schultz's short list already know it, the best thing Anaheim could do is declare open season on his rights and let the flood gates open.

Canucker 05-25-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Craig Button ‏@CraigJButton

@TSNBobMcKenzie. To add a little On Justin Schultz. NHL ready & a player I feel could be like Drew Doughty. Dynamic & controls game.
And Schultz's stock falls through the floor. :sarcasm:

crazyforhockey 05-25-2012 06:47 PM

Intresting Bob Mackenzie thinks after Suter and parise ...Schutlz could be the next most desired FA

Button refered to him to a player NHL ready and be like
drew doughty dynamic and able to controls game

crazy Kassian 05-25-2012 06:53 PM

He is definitely that good.

It's like getting a top 3 draft pick for free

Hank4Hart 05-25-2012 06:54 PM

ugh. craig button :shakehead

KISSland 05-25-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyforhockey (Post 50144585)
Intresting Bob Mackenzie thinks after Suter and parise ...Schutlz could be the next most desired FA

Button refered to him to a player NHL ready and be like
drew doughty dynamic and able to controls game

No way.

**** Gillis better get on this ****. I swear if Edmonton gets him or anyone from our division I'll rage.

Exactly the type of Dman we would need to pair with Edler and run our transition game like we did the year before.

opendoor 05-25-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canucker (Post 50144443)
I think the 3-4 teams who are the most likely to be on Schultz's short list already know it, the best thing Anaheim could do is declare open season on his rights and let the flood gates open.

They're probably getting a lot of conditional offers and they realize that the best return will come if they can find out who he'd like to sign with and make a deal for a good asset contingent on him signing with that team.

Canucker 05-25-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by opendoor (Post 50145253)
They're probably getting a lot of conditional offers and they realize that the best return will come if they can find out who he'd like to sign with and make a deal for a good asset contingent on him signing with that team.

If they find out who he wants to sign with and approach that team, doesn't that give away where his ideal destination is and lets that team say "I know he wants to play here, I'll just wait this out and not give up anything"?

vanuck 05-25-2012 07:19 PM

I'd be pissed if he signs with the Rangers. All the college UFAs seem to want to sign there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hank4Hart (Post 50144833)
ugh. craig button :shakehead

What happened?

opendoor 05-25-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canucker (Post 50145635)
If they find out who he wants to sign with and approach that team, doesn't that give away where his ideal destination is and lets that team say "I know he wants to play here, I'll just wait this out and not give up anything"?

I guess it depends if he has 1 specific team he's wanting to sign with or he's open to a few different options. If he's willing to sign with one of a few teams then a GM that takes that attitude could easily miss out on him.

Balls Mahoney 05-25-2012 07:22 PM

It's going to amuse me when Schultz busts.

Drop the Sopel 05-25-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney (Post 50146095)
It's going to amuse me when Schultz busts.

We should go after Shaone Morrison or Andy Sutton instead!

Tiranis 05-25-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel (Post 50146383)

I think the point here is that people are comparing it to getting a Top 3 pick and Schultz really is not at that level. Lots of potential but there are still issues with his game and he will need to adapt to the NHL. I think the Canucks should pursue him but people are definitely overrating him because he happens to be from North Van.

Balls Mahoney 05-25-2012 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel (Post 50146383)

I actually wouldn't mind Sutton. :punk: