HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Proposal: Why Not Dallas Eakins as an Assistant? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1196415)

Drew75 05-25-2012 07:43 PM

Why Not Dallas Eakins as an Assistant?
 
Here's a thought. RC is a great coach for this team, and he'll likely lead to bringing in players we'd prefer to see. Dallas Eakins isn't necessarily ready to take the head job of a NHL Team (it's called a learning curve) - but what if Burke convinced RC to take him on board as an assistant for next year? (As apparently Gordon and Cronin may be let go).

He can run the PK, work with the young guys, learn from RC ... and it buys a couple of years where maybe you could eventually move RC to another position in the organization and promote DE to head coach?

Your thoughts?

Conan 05-25-2012 07:47 PM

Dallas Eakins wants to be a Head coach rather than being Assistant.

Leaf Rocket 05-25-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew75 (Post 50148079)
Here's a thought. RC is a great coach for this team, and he'll likely lead to bringing in players we'd prefer to see. Dallas Eakins isn't necessarily ready to take the head job of a NHL Team (it's called a learning curve) - but what if Burke convinced RC to take him on board as an assistant for next year? (As apparently Gordon and Cronin may be let go).

He can run the PK, work with the young guys, learn from RC ... and it buys a couple of years where maybe you could eventually move RC to another position in the organization and promote DE to head coach?

Your thoughts?

Before I start, you aren't the first who has asked this question.

I believe this has to do with the fact he wants to be the top gun? Also it was later on said by the organization, that neither cronin or gordon are going to be let go.

As much as we love Eakins, I know I do, Carlyle is more respected and is a cup winner, and brings a lot of experience with him, while eakins is earning his merits to become something like Carlyle.

pspot 05-25-2012 07:53 PM

some team will make him their head coach this off season
my bet is on Edm

Leaf Rocket 05-25-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pspot (Post 50148879)
some team will make him their head coach this off season
my bet is on Edm

I think Sutter is the one who is leading that race.

Tyler Biggs 05-25-2012 08:14 PM

I am hoping Eakins as you said takes another position within the organization so something like assistant coach or stays as the head coach of the Marlies. I would hate to lose him for nothing this off season, so hopefully he shows some loyalty and stays.

Mansfield 05-25-2012 08:51 PM

He's already been an NHL assistant and has no interest in the job.

7even 05-25-2012 09:06 PM

He's stated repeatedly that he has no interest in being relegated to an assistant position again.

blasted_Sabre 05-25-2012 09:18 PM

He was one of Maurice's assistants. He'd rather run the show then take orders.

And I think hes ready. Wont shock me if hes an NHL coach next year.

Mess 05-25-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansfield (Post 50153261)
He's already been an NHL assistant and has no interest in the job.

Correct.

He was a Leafs assistant coach back in 2006 under Paul Maurice.. He took the Marlies head coaching position in 2009 considering that a coaching promotion.

Why would he after having success as a head coach want his old former job back, would be the question here?

Pyrophorus 05-25-2012 09:27 PM

With Dudley being poached, and others on the MT being touted as future GM, and with
Eakins being coveted, could you not say that the Leafs, do have pieces of value?

leafsrule123 05-25-2012 09:42 PM

He said he has been down that road before and wants to coach

Tyler Biggs 05-25-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrophorus (Post 50155827)
With Dudley being poached, and others on the MT being touted as future GM, and with
Eakins being coveted, could you not say that the Leafs, do have pieces of value?

Anyone who says the Leafs do not have pieces of value are just plain haters.

BayStBullies 05-25-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrophorus (Post 50155827)
With Dudley being poached, and others on the MT being touted as future GM, and with
Eakins being coveted, could you not say that the Leafs, do have pieces of value?

Eakins is only being coveted by Leafs fans. He happened to be the Marlies coach when the prospect pipeline no longer sucked. You guys are acting like he is a top ten coach in all of hockey... the guy couldn't even get the open coaching job the Leafs had.

HOCKEYGOON 05-25-2012 10:19 PM

Eakins is as good as gone this year unless the Leafs throw a lot of money at him (ex. What they did to keep Nonis as Ast. GM) and he wants to stay in Toronto for family reasons.

HOCKEYGOON 05-25-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayStBullies (Post 50161153)
Eakins is only being coveted by Leafs fans. He happened to be the Marlies coach when the prospect pipeline no longer sucked. You guys are acting like he is a top ten coach in all of hockey... the guy couldn't even get the open coaching job the Leafs had.

This is a terrible post...

Durkin67 05-25-2012 11:45 PM

I'd rather keep Eakins here to work with the kids as the head coach of the Marlies, but I think he gets poached no later than by December, when teams start firing their head coaches. I can see SJS, CBJ or even WSH going after him, in the off season. He's pretty awesome IMO.

Edgeworth* 05-25-2012 11:49 PM

He already stated his loyalty to Burke. Probably won't lose him and he'll be promoted when a lot of the old guard switches out (Like at the end of the 2012-2013 season when a lot of players go UFA like Lupul, Connolly, Lombardi, Armstrong, Bozak, etc. etc. etc.) and a lot of the prospects he's mentored can come in.

Pyrophorus 05-26-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgeworth (Post 50166711)
He already stated his loyalty to Burke. Probably won't lose him and he'll be promoted when a lot of the old guard switches out (Like at the end of the 2012-2013 season when a lot of players go UFA like Lupul, Connolly, Lombardi, Armstrong, Bozak, etc. etc. etc.) and a lot of the prospects he's mentored can come in.

Carlyle will probably last the length of his contract.

Durkin67 05-26-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayStBullies (Post 50161153)
Eakins is only being coveted by Leafs fans. He happened to be the Marlies coach when the prospect pipeline no longer sucked. You guys are acting like he is a top ten coach in all of hockey... the guy couldn't even get the open coaching job the Leafs had.


OK this is beyond dumb.

HOCKEYGOON 05-26-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyrophorus (Post 50167517)
Carlyle will probably last the length of his contract.

Not if he fails next year.

Tyler Biggs 05-26-2012 12:44 AM

I like Carlyle as a head coach...Stanley cup winner, has worked with Burkie before, and my favourite part about him is he likes tough teams. So I don't want to lose Carlyle as our coach but I also don't want to lose Eakins. I am hoping Eakins stays as the coach of the Marlies next season.

HockeyNightInBelfast 05-27-2012 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgeworth (Post 50166711)
He already stated his loyalty to Burke. Probably won't lose him and he'll be promoted when a lot of the old guard switches out (Like at the end of the 2012-2013 season when a lot of players go UFA like Lupul, Connolly, Lombardi, Armstrong, Bozak, etc. etc. etc.) and a lot of the prospects he's mentored can come in.

...this will go both ways.

As has been stated, the best we can hope for is that Burkie resigns Dallas Eakins to a silly sum, a la Nonis, in order to keep him for as long as poss w/ clause that he will not stand in his way should a head coaching vacancy arise elsewhere.

Eakins is clearly a driven man, perhaps he is the type who if the Marlies were to win the Calder Cup finals says "ok what's next'.

EAkins has said quite recently that he 'would go through a wall for that guy', as in Burkie, so we have that in our favour.

Would love to see Eakins' fiery & no-nonsense approach get applied to the likes of a Brad Ross & Greg McKegg who are deemed very coachable players.

I think he's the right guy & that we should keep him for as long as poss, but his departure is inevitable at some point.

FlareKnight 05-27-2012 04:51 AM

In the end it is too bad, but can't blame Eakins for not wanting to be the assistant. Either stay the head coach for the Marlies or take whatever job is offered to him. Just the Marlies getting to the finals may have given him enough chance to end up somewhere.

Morguee 05-27-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BayStBullies (Post 50161153)
Eakins is only being coveted by Leafs fans. He happened to be the Marlies coach when the prospect pipeline no longer sucked. You guys are acting like he is a top ten coach in all of hockey... the guy couldn't even get the open coaching job the Leafs had.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOCKEYGOON (Post 50161529)
This is a terrible post...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durkin67 (Post 50168041)
OK this is beyond dumb.

The first post is a little harsh but there is a certain amount of truth to it. In Eakins 3 years as a head coach he has went 5th, 5th and then 1st in the division. Watching Scrivens in the playoffs reminds me off the saying "show me a great goalie and I'll show you a great coach."

This is Eakins first year where he has had any real success as a head coach, he appears to be a good coach but I would let him go another few years before I let him coach in the NHL. He may be responsible for making some of these kids as good as they are but Frattin and Gardiner are NCAA products and he is not the goalie coach.

Looking at last years Leafs roster he wasn't even responsible for many of the kids on that team...Gunnarson(maybe)...

As per the OP of this thread Eakins has said he has been an NHL assistant coach and now wants to concentrate on being the head coach. He will probably get there but bringing him in this year would be a mistake IMO.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.