HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Team chirping at our own goalie! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1196763)

BHDefensiveForward 05-26-2012 05:44 AM

Team chirping at our own goalie!

Hey everyone, what are your thoughts on teams that bring down their own goal tenders on a bad night..? One of my teams is doing just that... We've won 16 games, lost 2 and I see no reason chirp at our own goalie if he has a bad start in the first period on some games. After all, when it comes down to fighting for the win, he has preformed!

I know on the many teams I've played on, it was an unwritten rule to never speak negative to your goalie during a game. If anything skate over and say things to keep your goalie focused and positive. I've found bashing your own goalie would be the equivalent of forfeiting.

The problem with our goalie is that when he looses focus, which could be caused from comments on the team, he will let in soft goals... Sometimes he doesn't even seem ready, or aware of the play after some idiot on our team starts yelling and coaching him on how to preform the save. The good thing is when he's really trying out there it's very hard for anyone to score on us. Heck, he has stopped 5+ shots getting ripped over and over in the slot. Sadly we do let a lot of breakaways and 2 on 0's happen... Our defense needs some work! I know he's been scored on due to back door goals, but I don't consider that his fault as he's challenged the shooter and not cheating to play the pass.

Not much I can do sadly because I've told these guys to leave the goalie alone during the game, and if you have comments save it for after the game.

Any suggestions?

BaconStrips 05-26-2012 06:00 AM

What level is this? Goaltenders = spend (much) more money then the player. If it were the goalie, I would just quit. Maybe explain to the guys that 1) it is a difficult position at any level and is mostly mental (see: Jim Carey - the goalie - and a host of others who have flamed out). And 2) That anyone tending goal in non-professional leagues has likely spent a fair share of cash to outfit themselves. Tell any chirpers to go shell out for the gear and do it themselves.

BHDefensiveForward 05-26-2012 06:24 AM

I'm a bit ashamed to say it's just Rec hockey (Beer League). So much for going out and just having fun... Most of the guys on the team played some form of high level hockey - Juniors, ect.

I know the goalie has said a few times he wanted to quit, but never did. One game he skated to the bench and told one of the guys to strap on the pads after words went back and forth.

In all the teams I've played with, this is a first. Never seen this kind of garbage being done towards a goalie, not to mention him wanting to leave the team. Sadly the finals are coming up and I hope he doesn't leave the team before the last game, but then again most people would be gone by now.

I doubt he will be returning next season though. I looked up the Jim Carey - Goalie... Wow who knew you could take a guy who could preform like that and break him down so much.

Wilch 05-26-2012 07:55 AM

I've seen that before, but the guy who chirped the goalie is a well known ******* so it's no big deal.

intangible 05-26-2012 09:32 AM

As a goalie, if some guy's chirping me in my face, I punch him. Did it in college.. was having a bad practice, and the captain chirped me and wouldn't get out of my face. Punched him, got into a tussle, and then went on to win the national championships.

Hey, sometimes it works. But you're talking beer league. If I was him, I'd be out the door.

Question for you, really, is who's more important: the goalie or the guys chirping him? Who's easier to replace? Sadly, given the teammates' attitudes, I doubt changing goalies will change anything; the next guy will get chirped, too. So you either need to tell those players to **** or get kicked, or replace them outright.

Frank Drebin 05-26-2012 09:46 AM

Not cool to chirp your own goalie, but its also not cool to have a goalie that isn't on the same skill level as the rest of the team.

Probably a bit of frustration from the guys.

goalie29 05-26-2012 10:01 AM

Your team gives up a lot of breakaways, 2on0s, and backdoor shots? Then they aren't as good as they think they are.

If I had any other options to play hockey whatsoever, I'd skate off without saying a word and never go back.

Funny, usually the guys I play with/against who have played at a competitive level know what adult rec is all about and are totally cool. It's usually the jerky adult newbies who blather on.

Giving your own goalie a hard time is so over the top a-hole behaviour that I'm flabbergasted even reading your post. I feel really badly for your goalie.

Frankie Spankie 05-26-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Drebin (Post 50176075)
Not cool to chirp your own goalie, but its also not cool to have a goalie that isn't on the same skill level as the rest of the team.

Probably a bit of frustration from the guys.

That's just part of beer league hockey though. Every beer league I have ever been in has had at least one terrible goalie. A few do chirp their own goalies but most just realize that you have to play better defensively.

I bet the goalie will quit. You're supposed to be playing for fun and it drives me nuts when players take it too seriously. If the goalie's just feeling harassed all the time, he probably won't return, I know I wouldn't return if I was being harassed all the time.

Ozz 05-26-2012 10:51 AM

Our goalies play free, so they better bring some game!

:sarcasm: While that is true that we don't have our goalie(s) chip in for league fees, I'm kidding that we expect them to perform at all times. No matter what happens we never get down on anyone. Sometimes the goalie has a bad game, sometimes he steals the games for us. Sometimes the defense is to blame for all the shots coming in, sometimes it's the forwards who can't keep it in the other zone. It goes in cycles and no one is safe. Getting down on one guy is lame. To me, even if the guy deserves it, there are more constructive ways of helping the situation than making fun of him or putting him down.

nexusrage21 05-26-2012 11:41 AM

I chirp every single person on my team. Myself first and foremost, and then the rest.

Stickmata 05-26-2012 11:57 AM

IMO, chirping anyone on your team negatively (unless they're really not giving effort) does nothing more than show a lack of character on the part of the chirper. If you're a team first guy and not an idiot, you know that everyone performs better when they have confidence in themselves and believe their teammates have confidence in them. Breaking down the confidence of your own teammates is retarded and only hurts your team. I understand when kids that don't know better do it, but it amazes me when a team of adults melts down on the bench, particularly early in the game when they get down by a couples and there's still 2-1/2 periods to play.

JoeCool16 05-26-2012 12:44 PM

Yeah, there's constructive criticism and then there's what I'd consider chirping and you don't chirp your own team. The goalie, the star forward, the rookie defenseman in the beer league who can't skate backwards...

I think the only time I'd be ok seeing that is if you've got a super cocky guy who chirps everyone go on to underperform... then it's just funny seeing him taken down a notch.

This is a recreational league though! Your team is doing well, what more do they want? I'd just loudly tell them to shut the f up next time they chirp him.

donkers* 05-26-2012 01:51 PM

I only chirp in jest. We have a guy on our team who yells at everyone and I just tell him to shut up. It seems to work.

Ozz 05-26-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeCool16 (Post 50181907)
This is a recreational league though! Your team is doing well, what more do they want? I'd just loudly tell them to shut the f up next time they chirp him.

CSB: my team is usually one of the better ones in our league, but we went on a losing streak. At one point we had people on the bench who wouldn't stop yelling instructions to those out on the ice no matter what was going on. And, of course, those doing it weren't the main producers nor were they doing anything worthwhile out there. A loud "SHUT THE **** UP!" from across the ice ended that crap. I was almost expecting that to load to some shoving or the like, but thankfully we just stopped getting in each other's faces. Next thing you know, we're back to our winning ways.

nexusrage21 05-26-2012 02:45 PM

I don't do it maliciously, more to just keep the mood light. Mostly just about dumb plays, or bad luck. If someone is really struggling I'm usually the first person on the team to help them, or defend them.

Most of my "chirps" are referring to boneheaded plays I make, like if I turn the puck over, "someone tell that butthead number 24 (me) to hold on to the puck for once."

nullterm 05-26-2012 02:53 PM

I've only seen one team chirp their goalie, and that was at the end of the season after the goalie had been chirping everyone else during the season. Everyone just had it with his attitude and he quit the team just before the playoffs.

Otherwise, I've never been on a team that chirped the goalie ever, except friendly joking around.

damacumich 05-26-2012 05:16 PM

I used to play on a team that was middle of the league one year. When myself and another player left, they lost their first and second leading scorers. Now they are bottom dwellers, and when I played against them on a new team their captain was trying to tell me that their goalie sucked and that he was the reason they were losing. But I had just played on that team so I told the guy blaming the goalie to go **** himself. After the game I went over to the goalie and told him he played a great game. When your team can't play defense and can't score, don't blame the ****ing goalie.

In beer league especially, it is never ok to chirp your own goalie unless he knows you are just messing with him. Telling your goalie how much they suck is great for their confidence.

Splitbtw 05-26-2012 05:26 PM

How is the team handled or run? Goalies are a premium regardless of skill. Is your goalie competent? If so then the skaters should go. If the goalie is out of his league, then the team effort should be to find a better goalie and come to a consensus to not chirp the knew one.

ponder 05-26-2012 05:35 PM

Good natured, fun, joking chirps are all good among teammates, even goalies. Legit criticism of your own goalie mid-game is taboo for sure though, goalies need their confidence, and it's a tough position emotionally, lots of pressure. Plus goalies are hard to come by, lose your goalie and a team can fold, there's always an abundance of skaters but a shortage of goalies. Continue to tell your teammates to stop chirping him.

Btw, is this ice hockey, roller hockey or ball hockey? I seem to remember you always asking ball hockey related questions in the past, but in this post you talk about the goalie skating to the bench. Ball hockey is a touch different, because the pads are cheap, often owned by the team, and anyone can strap em on. In ice hockey you're way more dependent on an actual full time goalie who always plays the position. They shouldn't be chirping the goalie regardless, sounds like your teammates are a bunch of d-bags, but if the goalie does leave the team, he's not as irreplaceable.

BHDefensiveForward 05-26-2012 05:55 PM

This is ice hockey, I bet the goalie spent a few grand for all the gear. Heck, and I complain about a $100+ stick and over priced gloves! ;)

The sad part about this whole thing is our Goalie is rank #1 in our Division... However, nothing will change on this team and I have no control over their attitude. I bet if you took this same goalie on another team full of support he would preform a lot better. His biggest issue is after the first goal or two goes in, then the blame game occurs! After that, unless he stays focus and puts those comments behind him, it's a struggle from there on out. Normally by the second half he some how makes all the saves and keeps us in the game.

Quote:

In ice hockey you're way more dependent on an actual full time goalie who always plays the position. They shouldn't be chirping the goalie regardless, sounds like your teammates are a bunch of d-bags, but if the goalie does leave the team, he's not as irreplaceable.
The guys were talking about this a few times, that if he left we would be screwed... But at the same time they're causing the underlying problem to loosing our goalie. He's never missed a game, and I've never seen him coach us on how to play when we royally screw up. To be honest, I've never heard him once talk about any back door goals, or 2 on 0's we've let happen.

Ozz: Sadly our goalie had to pay league fees, not counting whatever he pays for gear and upkeep. Might be the only reason he is staying.

Thepandamancan 05-26-2012 09:42 PM

As a goalie, I hate it and more times than not it unmotivates me. I know the knock on goalies is that they're fragile, but it's kind of true. Goalies need to be in this focused state and they feed off the confidence from the team. The last thing I want to do is stop a shot coming towards my head when you think I suck.

However, there have been times when getting ripped by a team mate has motivated me back into playing well. Bottom line, I think it's a stupid move to yell/chirp/blame the goalie...but if you pick the right moment and you say the right thing, it could be beneficial.

Hank4Hart 05-26-2012 10:12 PM

If I spent 3 grand on a full set of goalie gear, I can play as poorly as I want. To hell with the people chirping at me.

ds4130 05-26-2012 10:25 PM

I'm not a goalie but it beer league when we're down 5 or 6 goals (my team was pretty bad) I know it wasn't the goalie playing bad, but the entire team. I find it really hard to blame a goal 100% on our goalie. A lot of the time it was a bad defensive move that led to a pretty easy goal for the other team.

Badger36 05-27-2012 09:51 AM

Anyone who would chirp at a teammate in a beer league needs to grow up and get real. Its a beer league! Its supposed to be fun.
Now, to chirp at your own goalie is just stupid. Goalie is a tough position to play. Were I the team captain, Id tell anyone who chirped at the goalie that the next week they were playing goalie and then Id laugh at them as they got scored on over and over and over.

Axman 05-27-2012 12:22 PM

No matter how bad of a performance our goalie has in a game I always make it a point to tell him he made some great saves and kept us in the game. For him, if he's down on himself he sucks. He's at the top of his game when he's confident. I'm the same too. If someone gets down on me, I play like crap.