HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Prospect Info: Next years prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1197035)

DZ4 05-26-2012 05:21 PM

Next years prospects

Not counting kreider because he's a given to make the team next year but which prospects do you think have a legit shot at making the team next year? So far all I can see is Erixon and possibly Mcilrath. Miller seems to be a year away. Any of the mid level prospects i.e Bourque, Thomas have a realistic chance?

Kane One 05-26-2012 05:24 PM

I really hope McIlrath can surprise us by making the team.

Hellion 05-26-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DZ4 (Post 50190877)
Not counting kreider because he's a given to make the team next year but which prospects do you think have a legit shot at making the team next year? So far all I can see is Erixon and possibly Mcilrath. Miller seems to be a year away. Any of the mid level prospects i.e Bourque, Thomas have a realistic chance?

Bourque struggled big time this season, and Thomas couldnt even make the whale since he came to CT. none of those guys will have a spot on this team next season

Kershaw 05-26-2012 05:27 PM

I hope Bourque rebounds and becomes a Stephen Gionta type player for us.

Drewbackatu* 05-26-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Only Erixson and I would push to make McIIrath be ready and live with his mistakes because he can be the one defenseman who could become a difference maker for us.
Thomas will never see the light of day in the NHL and Miller isn't close either.

Rangers Fail 05-26-2012 05:57 PM

Erixon, provided he hits the gym. He needs to bulk up, a lot.
Miller will be in the AHL. Thomas should be there too. Yogan is either in the A or ECHL. MaciIlrath should be With the Whale too. Looking at that list, the Whale should be a better team next year.

LordsCup* 05-26-2012 06:11 PM

Erixon, thats it.

Nickmo82 05-26-2012 06:16 PM

it kind of depends on Sauers status going forward and what spots they decide to fill on the FA market... but Erixon should make the team of Bickel....

.... surely!?

Blueshirt Believer 05-26-2012 06:17 PM

Erixon is the most likely to crack the lineup.

Really want to see JT miller, but I think he will spend the whole season in the AHL if he doesn't get sent to juniors.

HatTrick Swayze 05-26-2012 06:19 PM

From what I've watched (5 or so MJ games, 2 Whale games), McIlrath could basically step in and be Stu Bickel now.

He could play in a pinch but it would not be great for his confidence and long-term development. Or the team's immediate fortunes.

We need to sign at least 1 more NHL 4-5 Dman.

Blueshirt Believer 05-26-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze (Post 50192545)
From what I've watched (5 or so MJ games, 2 Whale games), McIlrath could basically step in and be Stu Bickel now.

He could play in a pinch but it would not be great for his confidence and long-term development.

I think we should all hope he can be a little more than that. ;)

LordsCup* 05-26-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze (Post 50192545)

He could play in a pinch but it would not be great for his confidence and long-term development. Or the team's immediate fortunes.

We need to sign at least 1 more NHL 4-5 Dman.

So what your saying is, he is not ready.

mrjimmyg89 05-26-2012 06:33 PM

Erixon. Puts on some weight and I can see him on our bottom pair next season full time, getting some bigger minutes when guys are struggling/need rest.

Don't forget about Casey Wellman. He played in the NHL with the Wild this season and he will be in camp with the team. I doubt they let him walk away from being at least on the Whale. He's technically not a rookie, but is someone that can inject some speed and a little bit of skill onto the bottom six in house.

JAM needs a contract, could surprise some people.

MSC (St. Croix) should be getting a contract from the team soon. I wouldn't be surprised if he made the staff give him a longer look in camp, but falling short of making the team.

Thomas, Yogan, and McIlrath will be on the Whale next season.

LordsCup* 05-26-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 (Post 50192999)
Erixon. Puts on some weight and I can see him on our bottom pair next season full time, getting some bigger minutes when guys are struggling/need rest.

Don't forget about Casey Wellman. He played in the NHL with the Wild this season and he will be in camp with the team. I doubt they let him walk away from being at least on the Whale. He's technically not a rookie, but is someone that can inject some speed and a little bit of skill onto the bottom six in house.

JAM needs a contract, could surprise some people.

MSC (St. Croix) should be getting a contract from the team soon. I wouldn't be surprised if he made the staff give him a longer look in camp, but falling short of making the team.

Thomas, Yogan, and McIlrath will be on the Whale next season.

Love him as a prospect but he is still years from making the team. Another year in the WHL and at least a year, maybe two in the AHL.

HatTrick Swayze 05-26-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordsCup (Post 50192735)
So what your saying is, he is not ready.

In my opinion, no. He would be best served with a year in the AHL. But who knows what will happen in camp - if he earns it great.

RangerBlues 05-26-2012 06:46 PM

It's nice to have the luxury of young depth.

Things have changed nicely in Rangerland.

These are how dynastys are built.

SupersonicMonkey* 05-26-2012 06:51 PM

My outside prediction is Yogan impressing Tortorella with his mix of size, strength, grit, speed, and skill, enough to earn a spot.

There could be room for him on the third and fourth line.

And if we land Schultz, i feel his skill and smarts will be far too tempting for the coaching staff considering the problematic power play.

Brooklyn Ranger 05-26-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBlues (Post 50193511)
It's nice to have the luxury of young depth.

Things have changed nicely in Rangerland.

These are how dynastys are built.

The organization doesn't have depth, it has potential. We have forth liners playing the third line and third liners (who can sometimes step up) playing regularly on the 2nd line. We don't even have a true first line. On defense, we have 4 players who, regardless of how good they are, were forced to play too many minutes because there isn't anyone else available in the organization, except cast-offs from other organizations acquired via the waiver wire and tryouts.

This team overachieved--they did great for what they had and who they are. There is a core to build around, but there's still work to be done.

Beacon 05-26-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Probably only Erixon. Bourque did not have a good season in the AHL and it would be a major shock if he cracked the NHL team. Thomas clearly isn't ready for the NHL and would need to take a major step forward before competing for an NHL spot. Same for Fasth. He started hot last season, then cooled off, but nobody noticed that he was in the midst of a cold streak when he got injured. St. Croix also will need at least a year more in juniors.

McIlrath will only have a shot at it if we trade someone away or Erixon fails to make it. But even then he likely won't be ready.

Incidentally, the most likely Hartford forward to make it is the one without even an NHL contract - JAM.

Beacon 05-26-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat (Post 50191901)
Erixon, provided he hits the gym. He needs to bulk up, a lot.
Miller will be in the AHL. Thomas should be there too. Yogan is either in the A or ECHL. MaciIlrath should be With the Whale too. Looking at that list, the Whale should be a better team next year.

No, Erixon should not bulk up by a lot. He should bulk up a little bit. If he gains too much too quickly, he'll slow down significantly and won't make it due to his speed. Erixon needs to gain 5 pounds of actual muscle over the summer. If he does that, while fine-tuning other aspects of his game, the kid will be fine.

Miller probably won't be in the AHL next year. I think he'll be in juniors.

Why do you think that Yoggi will be in the ECHL? That would be a major disappointment. He should be in the AHL.

94rangers 05-26-2012 07:49 PM

Marek Hrivik,

If the Rangers are smart, they will sign Hrivik (a unsigned free agent) a solid 21 years old stud 6'1" 200lbs with some speed,and skill, he made a real difference after joining the Whale for their playoff run. Jonathan Audy-Marchessault is also a skilled with speed but undersized at 5'9" plus if MZA makes the club, no way Torts takes two undersized players.

Tanski has a shot as a 4th line energy type, and of course Erixon on D. Wellman is a nice player but needs to become stronger along the boards. I do not see anyone other than these with a shot to make the team next year

Rangers Fail 05-26-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beacon (Post 50195037)
No, Erixon should not bulk up by a lot. He should bulk up a little bit. If he gains too much too quickly, he'll slow down significantly and won't make it due to his speed. Erixon needs to gain 5 pounds of actual muscle over the summer. If he does that, while fine-tuning other aspects of his game, the kid will be fine.

Miller probably won't be in the AHL next year. I think he'll be in juniors.

Why do you think that Yoggi will be in the ECHL? That would be a major disappointment. He should be in the AHL.

I said either AHL or ECHL. Same with Thomas. I'm better on the A for both, but if not there, then Greenville is the only other place they can go. Remember, the CHL is BELOW the ECHL in terms of actual quality of play. It's just that the ECHL has older players, so it's viewed as a bad thing. Heck, even Danny G played a few ECHL games. I don't expect either of them to need a whole year though.

Dactyl 05-26-2012 07:57 PM

im hoping for JT miller i know all of you think he isnt ready but jeff skinner was what 18 when he won the calder

Dactyl 05-26-2012 07:58 PM

hrivik and JAM better get solid looks at or else i will seriously question torts' IQ

SnowblindNYR 05-26-2012 08:00 PM

What exactly is Erixon's ceiling/likely potential? He has some good offensive potential right? Does he have similar offensive potential to MDZ? What about defensively if he were to bulk up?