HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Jerry D'amigo and Deschamps.. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1197763)

TheFatOne 05-28-2012 10:11 AM

Jerry D'amigo and Deschamps..

Are they good enough to play in NHL the upcoming season? They have been fantastic with the Marlies.

With their hardworking style they fit on 3rd and 4rd line.

416Leafer 05-28-2012 10:16 AM

Hard to say. They usually only leave room for a handful of rookies every year. They're in the group of players that will be contending for roster spots, but I only expect 2-3 of Kadri/Frattin/D'Amigo/Deschemps/Holzer/Scrivens to be in the NHL for the majority of next season. Gardiner should be a lock.

ForSpareParts* 05-28-2012 10:18 AM

yes.

deschamps mania continues! (shoulda kept my thread)

;)

Ricky Bobby 05-28-2012 10:29 AM

Certainly not as regulars by next season. And even then if they end up playing more than 12/13 minutes a night this team is in huge trouble.

Guys like Lombardi, Armstrong, Lombardi, CMac and Bozak are vastly superior players.

There is a huge difference between succeeding at the AHL level and the NHL level. Neither Deschamp or D'amigo have put together an extended stretch of dominant play at any level. Consider that Joey Crabb was hands down the best player in the AHL at the start of the year and is a 3rd/4th line guy at the NHL level.

Or Phillipe Dupuis was an awful NHLer but is a PPG player in the AHL playoffs this year.

Toronto has lots of good 3rd/4th line types. We desperately need goaltending help and an upgrade at the top of lineup over at least one but probably 2 of Bozak, CMac and Connolly to eat up over 15 minutes a night at forward. Until these issues get solved the results will continue to be the same.

Stephen 05-28-2012 10:31 AM

Worth an audition at some point, with D'Amigo figuring in long term a bit more than Deschamps, who probbaly has to prove more sooner to be a relevant long term option.

The Messenger 05-28-2012 10:44 AM

Play the kids.

MrLegend28 05-28-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Dancer (Post 50238959)
Play the kids.

and ruin their development!

The Messenger 05-28-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrLegend28 (Post 50239059)
and ruin their development!

I forgot this. :sarcasm:

Nazem Gretzky 05-28-2012 11:10 AM

I swear, "play the kids" is the dumbest strategy of all time.

Just because they're a "kid" doesn't mean you play them.

You play the "kids" that are good enough to play. End of story.

mooseOAK* 05-28-2012 11:27 AM

Don't want to say yes because then they won't work hard in training camp.

deuce457 05-28-2012 11:45 AM

neither will play more than 80 career nhl games

Mess 05-28-2012 11:49 AM

If D'Amigo and Deschamps can beat our Frattin and Kadri for roster spots next year with the Leafs then why not.

Leafs bulk up the roster each off-season through UFAs and trades which leaves only few precious (if any) roster spots open for kids.

So its a cannibalization situation just like last year, where 1 single roster spot was left open, and all Leafs prospects had to battle over it, while "sense of entitlement" among vets guarantees them their spots irregardless of their performance.

The odds are not high therefore that D'amigo or Deschamps will see NHL time unless injuries occur and they are summoned to fill in..

ACC1224 05-28-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mess (Post 50240465)
If D'Amigo and Deschamps can beat our Frattin and Kadri for roster spots next year with the Leafs then why not.

Leafs bulk up the roster each off-season through UFAs and trades which leaves only few precious (if any) roster spots open for kids.

So its a cannibalization situation just like last year, where 1 single roster spot was left open, and all Leafs prospects had to battle over it, while "sense of entitlement" among vets guarantees them their spots irregardless of their performance.

The odds are not high therefore that D'amigo or Deschamps will see NHL time unless injuries occur and they are summoned to fill in..

Are the Leafs unique in doing this?

smoke meat pete* 05-28-2012 11:59 AM

1 single spot? Then how did Frattin and Gardiner play most/all of the season, with Crabb and Boyce coming up to fill holes.

smoke meat pete* 05-28-2012 12:01 PM

The Leafs have had 2-4 rookies every season play significant minutes since Burke got here.

Kulemin, Grabo, Bozak, Gunnarson, Schenn, Gardiner, Aulie, Reimer, Frattin to name a few.

bobbyflex 05-28-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce457 (Post 50240393)
neither will play more than 80 career nhl games

stupid post

ULF_55 05-28-2012 12:15 PM

Was the Marlies PK any good?

I've heard it was pretty good and D'Amigo was part of that?

Is that true?

I've heard D'Amigo does what coach asks, and can play anywhere.

Are we looking at a top 6 or bottom 6 forward?

If he's a bottom 6 forward, how would playing him on the 4th. line with PK duties stunt his development?

smoke meat pete* 05-28-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULF_55 (Post 50241177)
Was the Marlies PK any good?

I've heard it was pretty good and D'Amigo was part of that?

Is that true?

I've heard D'Amigo does what coach asks, and can play anywhere.

Are we looking at a top 6 or bottom 6 forward?

If he's a bottom 6 forward, how would playing him on the 4th. line with PK duties stunt his development?

Same question. How does playing in the AHL stunt his development?

Can he learn defencive positioning in the AHL or NHL?

Can he learn to score in the NHL or AHL?

Leaf Rocket 05-28-2012 12:27 PM

D'amigo I consider the dark horse for possibly making the team next season, Deschamps I think should return down in the AHL.

smoke meat pete* 05-28-2012 12:33 PM

I used to joke about rebuilding the Leafs building their team around the 2008 draft.

If we add Schultz, and promote Deschamps and Colborne, we'll be well on our way. That could be 25% of our team.

Schenn, Colborne, Gardiner, Deschamps, Schultz

DirtyDion03 05-28-2012 12:38 PM

Have to see how they do in training camp with the pros. Too early to determine if they can make the team next year without knowing the personnel. But if they can continue to play this way and bring it into next Fall, then why not? People need to slow it down here a bit. Long summer ahead!

Drew311 05-28-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 (Post 50241837)
Have to see how they do in training camp with the pros. Too early to determine if they can make the team next year without knowing the personnel. But if they can continue to play this way and bring it into next Fall, then why not? People need to slow it down here a bit. Long summer ahead!

Deschamps is not a bottom 6 player, so I don't see him ever making the Leafs. There would have to be some serious injuries for him to get the call.

D'Amigo should be a good third liner and penalty killer for the Leafs. I think he'll get his call up if Crabb and Frattin are injured or underperform.

I guess everything depends on what kind of moves Burke makes this summer. There is a chance that there will be no available spots for the youngsters come training camp.

ForSpareParts* 05-28-2012 02:12 PM

i might be a little biased. ;)

it's safe to say that Kadri will come into next training camp uninspired, and thinking that he's a lock for the team based on being drafted 7th.

i hope that D and D make it tough for RC to make a decision. Deschamps gets the edge on D'Amigo because Randy knows him from Anaheim.

Funk Volume 05-28-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForSpareParts (Post 50244763)
i might be a little biased. ;)

it's safe to say that Kadri will come into next training camp uninspired, and thinking that he's a lock for the team based on being drafted 7th.

i hope that D and D make it tough for RC to make a decision. Deschamps gets the edge on D'Amigo because Randy knows him from Anaheim.

Enlighten us all how its safe to say that about Kadri.

My god you go all out to bash him every chance you get. Did he **** your sister or something?

Pierre Gotye 05-28-2012 02:35 PM

Log-jam on the bottom 6, and I don't think Jerry D is less than a 3rd liner, wouldn't shine in a 4th line role.

Deschamps maybe but some guys would need to be moved LACK for instance.