HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Prospects (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Matt Finn vs Olli Maatta (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1198227)

Fearless Leaf* 05-29-2012 08:52 AM

Matt Finn vs Olli Maatta

Who do u think will be the better defender down the road taking their all-around game into consideration with developement?

DousedInOil 05-29-2012 10:17 AM

I gotta go with Matt Finn. I like Maata but I think playing for a team that went to the memorial cup and having a strong finish to the year really have people overrating his high end potential. I think Finn brings a lot more offense to whatever team drafts him.

arsmaster 05-29-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DousedInOil (Post 50268217)
I gotta go with Matt Finn. I like Maata but I think playing for a team that went to the memorial cup and having a strong finish to the year really have people overrating his high end potential. I think Finn brings a lot more offense to whatever team drafts him.

Did you not notice Maata's playoff stats?

I think his offense will be just fine.

ToBBa 05-29-2012 11:07 AM

Two Finns.

bigfatfist 05-29-2012 11:24 AM

I'd be OK with either in my system, but have to give Mattaa the nod. After some time to transition to the smaller ice, his game has taken off. He's got a bigger frame than Finn and for me is slightly better defensively. Add to that, his playmaking/vision is much, much higher than Finn's.

EverybodyLovesRay 05-29-2012 11:38 AM

Määttä.

JMcLeaf 05-29-2012 01:04 PM

Ive never seen Finn play so not really sure.

Maatta is really good when he's on his game, but I noticed he makes some pretty questionable plays that lead to bad turnovers when he's tired. One game I saw him play against Kitchener, he was easily the best player on the ice. One week later he had multiple turnovers at the blueline in the offensive zone and I was nervous whenever he had the puck. He also needs to work on his skating. For a rookie though he was good overall.

DuckJet 05-29-2012 02:52 PM

Maatta by quite a bit. If Anaheim was picking out of the top 10, Maatta would be my guy.

Defensive Forward 05-29-2012 02:59 PM

Maatta by quite a bit. And that's not just the Knights fan in me talking. He's been good for us all year, not just the playoffs and the memorial cup.

I like Finn too. Whoever picks him will end up with a good d-man, but Maatta will be better in all three zones in my opinion.

dean youngblood82 05-29-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loscar (Post 50270489)
Määttä.

Thank you. I've never seen a players name with only 3 letters butchered so often

1M
2A's
2T's
Followed by a single A

Torts 05-29-2012 03:13 PM

this is actually really close

as of today id give the slight edge to Maatta, however i do think his offensive upside is better yet Finn's overall and complete style of game may end up being better.

for the poll's sake ill take Finn. seems like more of a complete player.

FreeBird 05-29-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loscar (Post 50270489)
Määttä.

It must be Maatta because Doug MacLean says the Leafs love him so he's told, sounds about right Morrison the Leafs head scout lives in London and he took Kadri. Leafs take Maatta. :help: :help:

DuckJet 05-29-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBird (Post 50279785)
It must be Maatta because Doug MacLean says the Leafs love him so he's told, sounds about right Morrison the Leafs head scout lives in London and he took Kadri. Leafs take Maatta. :help: :help:

Anaheim approves of this.

Marc the Habs Fan 05-29-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeBird (Post 50279785)

When you are picking 5th, I would imagine the head scout ''loves'' quite a few players who could be available...only normal.

As for this poll, with many of these defenders this year I find it just comes down to really what your team is looking for in a defenceman as I find them all to be possible #2-#3 defenders.

EverybodyLovesRay 05-29-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 (Post 50278761)
Thank you. I've never seen a players name with only 3 letters butchered so often

1M
2A's
2T's
Followed by a single A

:shakehead

ottawah 05-29-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DousedInOil (Post 50268217)

Maatta did not play for a team that went to a memorial cup, he led his team to a memorial cup, and thats a huge difference.

Personally I sat Maatta by a mile, but I've seen much more of him than Finn (one game) so its a somewhat biased opinion.

DJB 05-29-2012 06:20 PM

Maata come to Ottawa!!!!

Kulemon 05-29-2012 06:31 PM

Maatta but it's closer than most people think.

bsmith14 05-29-2012 06:51 PM

i really liked what i saw from maatta at the mem cup, havent seen finn play so i cant comment. I think maatta will make a solid second pairing d.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt 05-29-2012 07:03 PM

Maatta learns fast. He showed huge strides of improvement in his short time in NA and that -I think- is gonna give him the advantage in the pros.

HockeyBlogFan 05-30-2012 06:54 PM

Both Maatta and Finn are showing incredible promise; and both will be first round picks IMO.

For offensive game, I like Maatta - Great vision, good point man on the PP, great at finding the open man. Maatta has more pure skill as a puckhandler.

Finn is great coming out of his zone - calm and makes very few mistakes - keeps it simple - great first pass. Finn also has a great point shot, and has quick hands when breaking up plays on the defensive side of the puck.

I'd take Maatta, but it is closer than most people think (to echo a previous poster).

Leaf Rocket 05-30-2012 07:03 PM

Maata IMO.

urho 11-09-2012 06:48 AM

Didn't find the Olli Määttä-thread but how is he doing as of now?

HockeyGuruPitka 11-09-2012 08:31 AM

One player i see in Matt Finn's game is Shea Webber. Now obviously Shea Webber is a physical beast which Matt Finn can't quite replicate. However the way he plays the game (to me) seems basically identical. Bomb from the point with good crisp passes, smart defensive responsibility. Just needs time to develop.

I do not know much about Matta. Hes a great defenseman and the Hunters say wonders about him. Havnt really watched him so my oppinion would be biased.

UsernameWasTaken 11-09-2012 08:40 AM

i chose maatta - but i think it's pretty close. i've been more impressed with finn so far this year than i have been with maatta.