HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Speculation: Ryan Smyth potential free agent signing (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1198265)

coldsteelonice84 05-29-2012 10:07 AM

Ryan Smyth potential free agent signing

It looks like he will test the market. He's getting older but still would be a nice upgrade in terms of net presence, which the team badly needs. Q coached him in Colorado as well. It wouldn't be one of my top choices for spending the money but IMO not a bad one and would fill a need.

Sevanston 05-29-2012 10:11 AM

I hope not.

He's basically Andrew Brunette, but with a higher price tag, and an even higher chance of demanding to go back to Edmonton at some point.

Looks like the Kings are really missing him. :sarcasm:

UsernameWasTaken 05-29-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevanston (Post 50268045)
I hope not.

He's basically Andrew Brunette, but with a higher price tag, and an even higher chance of demanding to go back to Edmonton at some point.

Looks like the Kings are really missing him. :sarcasm:

This.

coldsteelonice84 05-29-2012 10:14 AM

He's better than Brunette. We knew Brunette was a 4th liner when we got him. This guy isn't that bad but I still wouldn't lean on him too much at even strength. As far as the money goes, who cares, we're not even close to a cap team. I feel like, sadly, if you are looking for a major move, it's going to be something like this, better than nothing I guess.

DisgruntledHawkFan 05-29-2012 10:14 AM

He's basically Andrew Brunette but better. If the dollars make sense, I'd be for it.

HockeySensible 05-29-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 (Post 50268125)
He's better than Brunette. We knew Brunette was a 4th liner when we got him. This guy isn't that bad but I still wouldn't lean on him too much at even strength. As far as the money goes, who cares, we're not even close to a cap team. I feel like, sadly, if you are looking for a major move, it's going to be something like this, better than nothing I guess.

I believe 99.99% of people thought Brunette would be in the top-6 when we got him... then, we saw him skate.. :facepalm:

Sarava 05-29-2012 10:21 AM

I'm really getting tired of all Stan's acquisitions either being too green or too over the hill. Can we get players in their prime for a change? Ya know, shop outside of the dollar store? The cap crisis is over and this isn't necessary any longer.

coldsteelonice84 05-29-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarava (Post 50268309)
I'm really getting tired of all Stan's acquisitions either being too green or too over the hill. Can we get players in their prime for a change? Ya know, shop outside of the dollar store? The cap crisis is over and this isn't necessary any longer.

Agreed, but it is what it is. It's at the point where this team can't even forward before Bowman is removed as GM or McDonough starts meddling again with a huge signing.

Cullksinikers 05-29-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

I hope Stan reads this.

HockeySensible 05-29-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

You're "really getting tired"? Stan had no choice but to go with whatever he could get in 2010-11.. and last year, all the players he brought in the "experts" all thought was what we were lacking the year before.

Trial and error. You see what works and weed out what doesn't. You learn and you move forward.

coldsteelonice84 05-29-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossTheBoss (Post 50268571)
You're "really getting tired"? Stan had no choice but to go with whatever he could get in 2010-11.. and last year, all the players he brought in the "experts" all thought was what we were lacking the year before.

Trial and error. You see what works and weed out what doesn't. You learn and you move forward.

The experts are idiots if they thought those ancillary moves alone were going to fill all of the needs this team had and still does. They didn't spend the large amount of cap space and went into the season lacking both a No. 2 C and a top 4 D (as well as a few other things). They opted to do nothing during the season for whatever reason. Mind you, we lost Campbell as well, one of the better players on the team. Signing Mayers and Montador wasn't going to put this team over the top and I don't recall anyone thinking it would. If they did, they were wrong, along with the experts.

And I still think the team during the cap hell year was better than the one we had this year. That's a ****ing a sad fact. Either way, neither was good enough, not even close.

HockeySensible 05-29-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 (Post 50268661)
The experts are idiots if they thought those ancillary moves alone were going to fill all of the needs this team had and still does. They didn't spend the large amount of cap space and went into the season lacking both a No. 2 C and a top 4 D (as well as a few other things). They opted to do nothing during the season for whatever reason. Mind you, we lost Campbell as well, one of the better players on the team. Signing Mayers and Montador wasn't going to put this team over the top and I don't recall anyone thinking it would. If they did, they were wrong, along with the experts.

And I still think the team during the cap hell year was better than the one we had this year. That's a ****ing a sad fact. Either way, neither was good enough, not even close.

Your thinking is and always will be flawed. You don't spend money for the sake of spending money. You commit term and appropriate salary to the right players.. not just to spend up to the cap. If those players don't come along, you stand pat rather than making a move for the sake of making a move (that's a big reason why we got into the cap mess in the first place).

That's your "****ing sad fact", not an actual fact. They had more points, in a division that was significantly better than the prior year. They were a better team on paper.. but, the coaches let the team down.

coldsteelonice84 05-29-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HossTheBoss (Post 50268939)
Your thinking is and always will be flawed. You don't spend money for the sake of spending money. You commit term and appropriate salary to the right players.. not just to spend up to the cap. If those players don't come along, you stand pat rather than making a move for the sake of making a move (that's a big reason why we got into the cap mess in the first place).

Signing Suter, getting a second line center and improving in goal would make your theory hold up and vindicate Bowman. Not doing so will obviously make him look even worse than he already does, as hard as that is to believe. TONS of great options to spend the money on this offseason.

It's just that is looks like this piece of **** is going resign everybody so far and add another small piece or two. I hope not but the early trend is disturbing and frightening.

massivegoonery 05-29-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Yay, five years of Bowman learning on the job.

Sarava 05-29-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Speaking of cheap signings. What would you guys think of the Hawks brining back Colin Fraser as 4th line center? He has played well for the Kings and our 4th line hasn't been the same since he left.

coldsteelonice84 05-29-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massivegoonery (Post 50269197)
Yay, five years of Bowman learning on the job.

Exactly, at this rate, Toews and Kane will be past their primes by the time baby Bowman even starts to have an idea of what the hell is going on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarava (Post 50269199)
Speaking of cheap signings. What would you guys think of the Hawks brining back Colin Fraser as 4th line center? He has played well for the Kings and our 4th line hasn't been the same since he left.

He's gotten better than he was here. He would be a decent option, not nearly as good as Slater IMO, but a positive move nonetheless.

brtriad 05-29-2012 11:11 AM

No thanks to Smyth. Good player and great person, but he makes Brunette look like Stalberg. We need a shift back to the quick transition game that made us successful.

Rexy 05-29-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 (Post 50268125)

I don't think anybody thought/expected that. He had 43 goals and 64 Assists in his prior two seasons playing on a bad Minnesota team.

coldsteelonice84 05-29-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexy (Post 50269755)
I don't think anybody thought/expected that. He had 43 goals and 64 Assists in his prior two seasons playing on a bad Minnesota team.

Wild fans said exactly that, very slow at this point, use this guy on the 4th line and plenty of PP time. It didn't take but a couple games to see they were right.

Blackhawkswincup 05-29-2012 11:21 AM

No thanks he is on decline and whined his way out of both Colorado and LA

Rexy 05-29-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 50269899)
No thanks he is on decline and whined his way out of both Colorado and LA

gotta love when somebody whines their way off of a Cup Finals team and back into the basement.

DisgruntledHawkFan 05-29-2012 11:36 AM

No thanks on Colin Fraser. He's a worse version of Burish/Dowell. Was happy when he went.

Bubba88 05-29-2012 01:41 PM

I'd take him and this sounds like a Bowman signing. Smyth is better than Bruno for sure

Hawkaholic 05-29-2012 02:15 PM

Agreed, (for once, yay lol) I have advocated this signing since the end of the season.

Smyth is quicker, will take more abuse and is a vet leader who could really help us.
Give him 3.5/1 yr and see what happens.

DontToewzMeBro 05-29-2012 02:37 PM

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Scoring
Sharp-Kane-Stewart
Scoring
Stalberg-Bolland-Kruger
Shutdown/annoying
Shaw-Mayers-Bickell
cycle/chip puck in

Keith-Leddy
Damage control puck movers