HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Speculation: 2012 NHL Entry Draft - All purpose draft thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1198309)

Flat Stanley 05-29-2012 11:20 AM

2012 NHL Entry Draft - All purpose draft thread

Epic Neal Time suggested we start a 2012 NHL Draft thread. I agree, since we are talking about draft prospects in the Pens prospect thread, they aren't Pens prospects, not yet anyways.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._NHL_Draft.png

June 22-23 from the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, PA

http://liberalartsduq.com/wp-content.../03/Consol.jpg

Pittsburgh Penguins:

1st round (22nd overall)
2nd round (52nd overall)
3rd round (83rd overall)
4th round (92nd overall)
4th round (113th overall)
5th round (143rd overall)
6th round (173rd overall)

Epic Neal Time 05-29-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik (Post 50269871)
Epic Neal Time suggested we start a 2012 NHL Draft thread. I agree, since we are tlaking about draft prospects in the Pens prospect thread, they aren't Pens prospects, not yet anyways.

Thanks for starting it! :handclap:

I hope Aberg is around when we pick. However, after clamoring for a winger the last few years, I'm just going for the BPA this time. Morrow and Harrington have a way of changing my line of thinking. ;)

Flat Stanley 05-29-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic Neal Time (Post 50269963)

I hope Aberg is around when we pick. However, after clamoring for a winger the last few years, I'm just going for the BPA this time. Morrow and Harrington have a way of changing my line of thinking. ;)

No problem ;)

I think Aberg will be around when we pick, but I agree, go with the best player available.

I do like Sissons and I know people have doubts but it's not about what he does now because he can improve. He's still young and has time to develop, he's a RW/C, right handed, plays a good two way game, he's been compared to Kesler and Richards, and if you look at Kesler's stats before going pro and even early in his pro career, his stats weren't that good. And he was a 23rd overall pick.

rmartin65 05-29-2012 11:46 AM

Still going with Sissons in the first. Gritty two way player, RH, RW/C. Team captain. He fits quite a few organizational holes.

steelcityassault 05-29-2012 11:57 AM

1st Round - Tim Bozon

Antaris 05-29-2012 12:11 PM

I'd like Collberg, if he drops that low. (Like that's happening)

Sisson is real interesting, he seems like a real blue-collar type of guy. Real coolheaded and hard working.
From what i've seen on YT he seems a little slow on the skates, bit of a weak skater. From interviews he does seem to be aware of his weakness' though. His patience and cool is impressive to see from someone of his age.

Question is if he has top 6 potential (which is what the team needs) or if he will just be a grinder-esque sort of player.

I'd like a more of a goalscoring upside player, not sure Sissons has that.

Tasty Biscuits 05-29-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic Neal Time (Post 50269963)

Frk is another name to keep an eye on.

But let's be real. We all know Shero is going North American ;)

ColePens 05-29-2012 12:17 PM

I like it. I like it so much I'm going to sticky it until the draft comes up to try to keep everything in this thread.

Coach John McGuirk 05-29-2012 12:38 PM

Cole's gone purple!

Pitt's Best #87 #66 05-29-2012 12:54 PM

I almost started this thread the other day. Great thinking!

I have a whole list of guys that might be around that I'd like to see the Pens pick up. I'll post it later once I decide to rank them all.

As much as I'd like to get a forward like Aberg, Bozon, Hertl, etc. I think a defenseman will fall that we just can't pass up. Someone I could possibly see is Slater Koekkoek (who have a huge thing for) or Lindholm. I actually prefer them to other defenseman like Pouliot and Finn.

While I like Sissons, I would rate him as more of a second round talent. His skating and offensive potential kind of worry me. Then again he was playing on one of the worst offensive teams. There are still quite a few forwards that are still gritty but have more offensive potential like Aberg and Bozon.

Epic Neal Time 05-29-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColePens (Post 50271929)
I like it. I like it so much I'm going to sticky it until the draft comes up to try to keep everything in this thread.

Woo my idea's a sticky! :laugh:

I wouldn't mind the Sissons pick. He seems like a generally tough and smart player with leadership qualities. I just think that other players at #22 will be better. Shero could have a different opinion, but I just think if we draft a forward, it's gotta be a high-end guy.

My list (based on projected availability and opinion) is:

1. Aberg
2. Girgensons
3. Sissons
4. Frk
5. Koekkoek
6. Vasilevsky (although I feel he will be the first goaltender taken)
7. Herti
8. Samuelsson

Any of these, and I'll be a happy camper. :)

That being said, I trust Shero to make the right pick. It likely won't be anyone from my list though. Happens every damn year. :laugh:

wej20 05-29-2012 01:30 PM

I fully expect Shero to pick someone we haven't even discussed.

khaoskennedy 05-29-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 50274713)

we'll have to discuss everyone to make sure it doesn't happen lol:laugh:

Epic Neal Time 05-29-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 50274713)

Hopefully the reason they weren't discussed is because they fell from the top-10 or something crazy. :naughty:

PenguinTommy 05-29-2012 02:12 PM

I would be happy with either Aberg or Sissons, too.

Antaris 05-29-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epic Neal Time (Post 50275973)
Hopefully the reason they weren't discussed is because they fell from the top-10 or something crazy. :naughty:

Yaku-who? :sarcasm:

eXile59 05-29-2012 06:15 PM

Didn't both Morrow & Despres fall because of injury?

wej20 05-29-2012 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXile59 (Post 50285519)
Didn't both Morrow & Despres fall because of injury?

Despres did get injured and played through it I think so that accounted for some of his fall. Bob Mckenzie had him at 18th in his Top 30 and I think he was in a lot of top 15s earlier in the season. I don't think Morrow was injured and Bob had him ranked at 20 and we picked him at 23 so not really a fall.

Jaded-Fan 05-29-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 50286353)
Despres did get injured and played through it I think so that accounted for some of his fall. Bob Mckenzie had him at 18th in his Top 30 and I think he was in a lot of top 15s earlier in the season. I don't think Morrow was injured and Bob had him ranked at 20 and we picked him at 23 so not really a fall.

If I remember a lot of places had Morrow at ten or so slots higher at the time. He was certainly seen as the value pick and a bit of a player who fell from where he was expected to go.

Valarukar 05-29-2012 08:13 PM

Hey do any of you buy any of the draft guides that have rankings in them? Just asking because I'd like to put the rankings into my excel sheet for consensus rankings.

wej20 05-29-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan (Post 50288769)
If I remember a lot of places had Morrow at ten or so slots higher at the time. He was certainly seen as the value pick and a bit of a player who fell from where he was expected to go.

Central Scouting had him 12 among North American Skaters. I don't think ISS had him in their final top 30.

#66 05-29-2012 09:12 PM

Does anyone else really like Nicolas Kerdiles? Big, driving player that can make plays and loves to bang.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Samuelsson in the first round. IMO he's a player even if he doesn't reach his upside.

I like Aberg too. He has some Mats Naslund to his game in that he's not big but he is pesky on the puck.

#66 05-29-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan (Post 50288769)

Yup... Morrow had an insane 2nd half of the year that season and everyone took notice. I really hated the Pens taking 2 more defenseman at the time but they were easily BPA's.

Mr. T 05-29-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 50289889)
Central Scouting had him 12 among North American Skaters. I don't think ISS had him in their final top 30.

Yeah, I thought TSN, Sportsnet and Red Line all had him around around 20.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 05-29-2012 09:49 PM

A lot of people are still in love with Frk. Can anyone explain why? His skating seems terrible and I don't think his other skills are good enough to make up for it.