HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Sportsnet: Potential Leaf Galchenyuk: "I love Toronto" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1198317)

kesleaf 05-29-2012 12:32 PM

Potential Leaf Galchenyuk: "I love Toronto"

Quote:

Luke Fox | May 29, 2012, 9:52 am

Twitter @lukefoxjukebox

The Toronto Maples Leafs hold the fifth pick in the upcoming NHL Entry Draft. Alex Galchenyuk of the Sarnia Sting is has been slotted fifth in many an expert’s mock draft.

The Leafs are looking for a talented centre; Galchenyuk is a talented centre.

The pairing makes sense, and although much can happen between now and June 22, when the blue chips start falling at the Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh, hockey fans and analysts are speculating that the 18-year-old forward could wear the white and blue.

In Toronto this week for the NHL Combine, Galchenyuk appeared on The Fan 590’s Joey Vandetta Show on Tuesday, alongside Sting teammate Nail Yakupov, and addressed the hearsay.

“Yeah, I’ve heard a lot of rumours. And I also have a Twitter account, and there’s a lot of fans on Twitter, Toronto fans, that keep tweeting me, saying, ‘You might end up in Toronto. That’s my team,’ ” Galchenyuk said. “I love Toronto. Obviously it’s a great city, and people go crazy about hockey. They’re good fans. It doesn’t matter where I end up playing, but Toronto would be good.”

“Ever since I was a little kid, my dream was to play in the NHL,” Galchenyuk said on Tuesday, “so I’m here (at the combine) working hard and we’ll see what happens.”

A native of Milwaukee, Galchenyuk is the son of Belarusian hockey player Alexander Galchenyuk, who now serves as an assistant coach for his son’s Ontario Hockey League team.

The 6’1”, 185-pound top prospect was selected first overall pick in the 2010 OHL priority selection draft, after scoring 87 points in 38 games for the Chicago Young Americans, making him the MWEHL’s top scorer in 2009-10.

Though he only played two games and didn’t register a point for the Sting this season due to an ACL injury, Galchenyuk scored 31 goals and 52 assists for Sarnia in 2010-11.

Source: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...ex_galchenyuk/

What do you all make of this? Here is a talented center than WANTS to play in a hockey hotbed. A place which dissuaded a bunch of top centers from playing in this city, mainly due to the spotlight.

I would honestly go all out and get this guy! You don't come buy many potential #1C's that actually "want" to play in Toronto.

Liminality 05-29-2012 12:35 PM

I really hope he's there at 5 but I kind of doubt it now.

Lebanese Leaf 05-29-2012 12:36 PM

If Galchenyuk is on the board and we take anyone else, I will be beyond pissed.

Twist and Shout 05-29-2012 12:39 PM

Ask the majority of players in this years draft and they will each say the same thing, as I am sure they would say about playing for any other team in the league. These are kids who have dreamt about being drafted for most of their lives, and I'm sure their experience wouldn't be tainted even being drafted by a horrible, unpopular team in the middle of nowhere.

Stephen 05-29-2012 12:40 PM

Montreal is the biggest threat when it comes to Galchenyuk. Assuming Edmonton and Columbus swap picks, and Yakupov and Murray are gone, Montreal could potentially be choosing between Grigorenko and Galchenyuk and Forsberg. They need a center cornerstone, and both Grigs and Galy fall into that category. Maybe they want Grigs and Patrick Roy has some positive things to say about him and Galy is a big question mark in regards to his injuries. Then there's the Islanders. They could use a dman, but they could go for a forward too. As long as we get one of Forsberg, Galchenyuk or Grigorenko it's all good, really.

Durkin67 05-29-2012 12:43 PM

Safe, solid pick. I don't believe there is anyone better who will be available to us. Grigs may fall out of the top 5, but after Nail, everything I have seen and read suggests that the rest of the names in the 2-6 range are pretty interchangeable. I don't think our first overall is a lock for the bigs unless we somehow move up and take Nail. Whoever we take, he likely gets a year minimum in junior.

MoreMogilny 05-29-2012 12:44 PM

I've got the nasty feeling that the Habs will snatch him up with the third pick.

Giuseppe Sallo 05-29-2012 12:44 PM

I'm sure he loves MONTREAL too. I wouldn't risk taking him, he is injury prone. I want Mikhail Grigorenko who I believe will be a good impact player.

Durkin67 05-29-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreMogilny (Post 50270711)
I've got the nasty feeling that the Habs will snatch him up with the third pick.

I tend to agree...if so, I hope Burke flips the pick and drafts Subban.

Sittler 27 05-29-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf (Post 50270373)
If Galchenyuk is on the board and we take anyone else, I will be beyond pissed.

Even worse, if he's there at the fifth pick and goes to the Canucks because we traded the pick for Luongo, is there such a thing as being beyond pissed

Tommy Torini 05-29-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Same.

But I'm happy with any one of the top 5. All will be good imo.

Run705 05-29-2012 12:54 PM

On one of his twitter pics he's wearing a Blue Jays hat. Just sayin.

ErnieLeafs 05-29-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giuseppe Sallo (Post 50270743)
I'm sure he loves MONTREAL too. I wouldn't risk taking him, he is injury prone. I want Mikhail Grigorenko who I believe will be a good impact player.

Based on what? One injury?

The Mentalist 05-29-2012 12:57 PM

Get ready to see ALOT of I love to play here X quotes this week.

Stephen 05-29-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

They should have made a handshake deal with the Dudley hiring...

Myke 05-29-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boogeymane (Post 50271127)
On one of his twitter pics he's wearing a Blue Jays hat. Just sayin.

Next member of Team Unit? :D

Leaf Rocket 05-29-2012 01:01 PM

Grigo or him i could care less.

Eddy Punch Clock 05-29-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kesleaf (Post 50270251)
What do you all make of this? Here is a talented center than WANTS to play in a hockey hotbed. A place which dissuaded a bunch of top centers from playing in this city, mainly due to the spotlight.

I would honestly go all out and get this guy! You don't come buy many potential #1C's that actually "want" to play in Toronto.

Taking a little creative licence there me thinks.

Quote:

"It doesn’t matter where I end up playing, but Toronto would be good.”

HockeyGuruPitka 05-29-2012 01:13 PM

If Burke wants him badly enough, he will be in blue and white. See Henrik and Daniel.

pspot 05-29-2012 01:17 PM

i think it will be great if one ends up in Mtl and the other in TO

will hopefully be debated for years with both having solid careers and renew the rivalry

I'd rather Galy but i think Grigs will be great too and probably end up surprising a lot of people

colchar 05-29-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sittler 27 (Post 50271007)
Even worse, if he's there at the fifth pick and goes to the Canucks because we traded the pick for Luongo, is there such a thing as being beyond pissed

There is absolutely no way that Luongo brings in that kind of return.

Gberg 05-29-2012 01:18 PM

He's being interviewed by the fan 590, what did you expect him to say?

Northern Dancer 05-29-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gberg (Post 50271967)
He's being interviewed by the fan 590, what did you expect him to say?

Exactly what he said. But at least he didn't pull a Craig Simpson on us !!!!

JAMmer124 05-29-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Dancer (Post 50272039)
Exactly what he said. But at least he didn't pull a Craig Simpson on us !!!!

Didn't we not want him anyway?

Pretty sure the guy we got turned out alright ;)

GhettoHockey 05-29-2012 02:05 PM

best case: we get 1 of galy, grigo or Forsberg

worst case: Above 3 and yakapov are picked and we are forced to take Ryan Murray

In the 2nd case i think I would be okay trading our 1st pick, presumably Murray, after the 4th pick is decided on the draft floor, for someone elses 1st round pick + a player--- i say this because i think drafting a D man wouldn't make sense for the Leafs and i also think that not drafting the best-possible-player close to that range of picks also wouldn't make sense... most of those players from 5-8 will probably be D and I dont think it makes sense picking a C just for the sake of it when the pick is worth more to us in a trade because of other teams demand for a defenseman... it really comes down to if we take a guy like Radek Faksa, a big strong center, which is what we need and want at #5 instead of a D man and lose value in our pick or take Murray a suitable pick at #5 which im happy with but would it make sense on our long list of D man? I think if a trade is made for this pick it has to be made on the draft floor Burke iam sure would agree! (or i hope so)