HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Esche to AHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=119900)

MiamiScreamingEagles 12-21-2004 11:23 PM

Esche to AHL

I didn't see this posted yet but Robert Esche might be joining the AHL.

http://www.uticaod.com/archive/2004/...rts/15231.html

RJ8812 12-21-2004 11:53 PM

as long as he's keeping busy and doesnt suffer a big injury

Winston Wolf 12-22-2004 12:00 AM

Maybe he can learn a thing or two from Lehtonen...

DeleteThisAccount 12-22-2004 02:34 AM

Ah crap, I think the whole "no NHL" thing just kinda smacked me in the face with this post for some reason. Ahh, boredom...

Roger's Pancreas* 12-22-2004 10:13 AM

What the hell. Esche is already a proven NHLer and shouldn't be playing in the AHL, which is more for AHL caliber players or NHL prospects learning the game. He should be overseas if he wants to play.

Jester 12-22-2004 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
What the hell. Esche is already a proven NHLer and shouldn't be playing in the AHL, which is more for AHL caliber players or NHL prospects learning the game. He should be overseas if he wants to play.

guy just got married... probably doesn't feel like moving across the proverbial pond. the AHL ain't a long drop from the NHL at that... so it will be excellent work for him as well.

GoneFullHextall 12-22-2004 11:50 AM

so he might play for the Wolves eh? too bad he couldnt play for the Phantoms, i guess Franks development is more important. Chicago does seem to be an odd choice thou.

Jester 12-22-2004 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
so he might play for the Wolves eh? too bad he couldnt play for the Phantoms, i guess Franks development is more important. Chicago does seem to be an odd choice thou.

probably not allowed to play for the phantoms seeing as he's under contract to the flyers and whatnot... plus i think i read that the wolves aren't a completely affiliated team or something? like they take some prospects from atlanta or whoever it is, but also have players that are simply their's. i may be wrong about this.

GoneFullHextall 12-22-2004 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester
probably not allowed to play for the phantoms seeing as he's under contract to the flyers and whatnot... plus i think i read that the wolves aren't a completely affiliated team or something? like they take some prospects from atlanta or whoever it is, but also have players that are simply their's. i may be wrong about this.

the Wolves are affiliated with Atlanta. maybe he unofficially he reported to the Phantoms and they "loaned" him to Chicago.

MojoJojo 12-22-2004 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth

The AHL is comparable to any of the other leagues in terms of talent. An argument could be made for the Russian or Finnish league being better, but its still pretty close. Besides, since so much of what a goalie does is try to read the play, keeping him playing NA style hockey is better practice than playing in Europe.

Roger's Pancreas* 12-22-2004 06:29 PM

I never questioned the play of the AHL as a group. My problem was that Esche will invevitably taking away time from a younger person who may need it in developing his game. I think Esche is already tuned, he just needs to keep moving to stay sharp. I would have no problem w/ him playing in another league, just not a minor one.

Juicer 12-22-2004 10:23 PM

Esche needs to shut up. These are pretty harsh words about the owners. "The owners have single-handedly continued to try to ruin this sport". Especially when most people back the owners.

Flukeshot 12-23-2004 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester

I don't think that it matters that he is under contract with the Flyers, Fedoruk signed with the Phantoms. Though Fedoruk might be a restricted FA I haven't checked, but Raffi Torres did the same thing with the Road Runners.

I kind of don't like the idea of Esche playing in the AHL though. I tend to agree that he really shouldn't be taking ice time away from a goalie prospect like Lehtonen. Forward and defense is one thing, like and NHL forward does take a job away from an NHLer and take ice time, but he doesn't take away full games, just minutes. Whereas Esche would likely cut Lehtonen's starts in half while also taking the job of the current Wolves' backup.

Plus he is the union rep. and all for the Flyers. It is partially his job to keep informed about negotiations at such a critical time.

Meh at least we may get to see Esche go head to head against Niittymaki if PHI and CHI ever meet. (don't know if they do or not)

MiamiScreamingEagles 12-23-2004 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flukeshot
I don't think that it matters that he is under contract with the Flyers, Fedoruk signed with the Phantoms. Though Fedoruk might be a restricted FA I haven't checked, but Raffi Torres did the same thing with the Road Runners...
I(don't know if they do or not)

Didn't P.J. Stock play for the Phantoms last season while not under contract with the Flyers (he was with Boston previously, not sure if they cut ties with him prior to his joining the Phantoms)?

MojoJojo 12-23-2004 12:36 PM

Stocks NHL rights have always been with Boston. He was only in Philly to play on the Phantoms, and could not have been called up to play on the Flyers.

04' hockey 12-23-2004 01:00 PM

Yeah.....

Esche, calmly takes a spot from a younger player who wants to play in the AHL and try to hone his skills for the bigs, SURE.

He better remember this when some of these younger players cross the picket line next summer trying to earn a living.

Two sets of rules goin' on here. :shakehead :shakehead