HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Speculation: Tim Thomas may take the year off? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1199729)

Paralyzer008 05-31-2012 05:43 PM

Tim Thomas may take the year off?

On TSN's Insider Trading, Pierre LeBrun said that Tim Thomas is thinking of taking the year off.

This news is a tad surprising no?

dredeye 05-31-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 (Post 50368285)
On TSN's Insider Trading, Pierre LeBrun said that Tim Thomas is thinking of taking the year off.

This news is a tad surprising no?

How does one take the year off? Wouldn't he need to retire?

Braunbaer 05-31-2012 05:46 PM

So there is a clause in his contract which allows him to "take some time off" whenever he wants to? I highly doubt that.

And besides, since when is Pierre LeBrun able to read Thomas' mind?

dtimmons 05-31-2012 05:47 PM

This is laughable

Ludwig Fell Down 05-31-2012 05:54 PM

Tim Thomas. Park car, take two parking spaces. :sarcasm:

WBC8 05-31-2012 06:02 PM

Does the nhl have a failure to report list? He'd be on the cap regardless.

Kovi 05-31-2012 06:08 PM

Riiiing

TT: Ya, Pete, hey it's Stanley Cup Winning goalie Tim Thomas.... ya, how ya doin? Ya, I ahhhh, thought I might take next year off....do some commercials, play some golf, do some huntin......sound good?

?

Dom - OHL 05-31-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 (Post 50368935)
Does the nhl have a failure to report list? He'd be on the cap regardless.

Bruins could suspend him for failure to report. But yes, would still count against the cap.

Kaoz 05-31-2012 06:16 PM

If he does that, he must have some kind of serious issues happening. Timmy is a gamer and worked his ass off to become one of the best NHL goalies alive. This is just weird. This would be a ****** ending to the made for TV movie "The Tim Thomas Story".

ssault 05-31-2012 06:18 PM

Surprise entry into the MA senate race?

xPumpedxByxLucicx 05-31-2012 06:19 PM

OK. The Cinderella story of TT was so inspirational but the last year he has been a media hot stove. Seriously a year off Tim? I don't mind the whole white house thing but he is bringing in publicity that's not needed.

Bill Ladd 05-31-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky (Post 50369197)
Bruins could suspend him for failure to report. But yes, would still count against the cap.

I thought a suspension tolls the cap hit and the contract.

i.e. The player is obligated to come back and fulfill the terms of the contract he signed- and until he does, the whole thing doesn't count.

The Islanders did it with Nabakov, St.Louis did it with Soderberg and Nashville did it with Radulov. They suspended those guys and so there was no cap hit while the players stayed away, the years didn't even tick off their contracts until they returned and played in the NHL, or the suspension was lifted.

Frankie Spankie 05-31-2012 06:24 PM

I don't see Timmy taking a year off period. I could see him retiring, although still highly doubt it, but he's not going to take a year off and then come back afterwards, it just doesn't sound like TT at all.

Kaoz 05-31-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ladd (Post 50369605)

i.e. The player is obligated to come back and fulfill the terms of the contract he signed- and until he does, the whole thing doesn't count.

St.Louis did it with Soderberg and Nashville did it with Radulov. They suspended those guys and so there was no cap hit while they stayed away, the years didn't even tick off their contracts until they returned and played in the NHL.

I'm thinking it may be different for a 35+ contract.

Dogberry 05-31-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

St.Louis did it with Soderberg and Nashville did it with Radulov. They suspended those guys and so there was no cap hit while they stayed away, the years didn't even tick off their contracts until they returned and played in the NHL.

My impression as well, but Thomas may be a different situation as a 35+ contract maybe?

scythe 05-31-2012 06:26 PM

Apparently he moved his family to Colorado mid-season?!? This is a story from today:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...hrough-season/

Frankie Spankie 05-31-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Didn't Petr Sykora do something similar a few years ago while in Minnesota? His transactions list on TSN says:

2010/01/28 Cleared waivers and is no longer under contract.
2010/01/27 Assigned to Houston (AHL).
2010/01/19 Waived by the Minnesota Wild.

I never understood how that worked.

Dogberry 05-31-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scythe (Post 50369693)
Apparently he moved his family to Colorado mid-season?!? This is a story from today:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...hrough-season/

Already discussed in another thread, and "he moved his family to Colorado" is extremely misleading, if not an outright falsehood.

Bill Ladd 05-31-2012 06:28 PM

Is it out of line to think that maybe Thomas is upset at the fact that his name is coming up in trade talks? He's a proud Capuchin, and I could see him saying, "You know what, after all I've done, I don't deserve this. If I can't pick my team then nobody will."

Dom - OHL 05-31-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoz (Post 50369627)

This. Had it confirmed with NHLPA

DKH 05-31-2012 06:31 PM

interesting...what would be the reason for someone to take a year off when Father Time aint giving you many more years.

I doubt it happens, but something pretty significant would have had to be the reason. I doubt very much TT said, 'wow, the Farmer's Almanac said 2012-13 is going to be great beach weather.'

sometimes fame and fortune I guess aint what its all cracked up to be if other important things that don't come under that umbrella aren't there for you.

odd

Dom - OHL 05-31-2012 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ladd (Post 50369771)
Is it out of line to think that maybe Thomas is upset at the fact that his name is coming up in trade talks? He's a proud Capuchin, and I could see him saying, "You know what, after all I've done, I don't deserve this. If I can't pick my team then nobody will."

Everyone is "guessing" and the articles that came out today (somewhat inaccurate I might add) don't help.

If Tim Thomas wants to take a year off, he'll have my 100% support and won't waiver it for one second.

Bill Ladd 05-31-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaoz (Post 50369627)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeattleBruin (Post 50369635)
My impression as well, but Thomas may be a different situation as a 35+ contract maybe?

Yeah, may be. But Nabokov is about to turn 37. Was he not 35 when he signed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie (Post 50369705)
Didn't Petr Sykora do something similar a few years ago while in Minnesota? His transactions list on TSN says:

2010/01/28 Cleared waivers and is no longer under contract.
2010/01/27 Assigned to Houston (AHL).
2010/01/19 Waived by the Minnesota Wild.

I never understood how that worked.

I don't get that one either. I don't see how going unclaimed makes you 'no longer under contract.'

Kaoz 05-31-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ladd (Post 50369771)

If there was ever one player in the NHL whom I thought wouldn't do that, it would be Thomas. It would be a huge huge surprise if that were the reason. The guy loves the game, and again, he's worked his ass off just to get in the NHL. With everything he went through just to get here, everything he sacrificed, that his parents did, I can't see it. I'd think he'd look at a trade as a challenge if anything, and just another opportunity to prove the doubters wrong.

Dogberry 05-31-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKH (Post 50369851)
interesting...what would be the reason for someone to take a year off when Father Time aint giving you many more years.

I doubt it happens, but something pretty significant would have had to be the reason. I doubt very much TT said, 'wow, the Farmer's Almanac said 2012-13 is going to be great beach weather.'

sometimes fame and fortune I guess aint what its all cracked up to be if other important things that don't come under that umbrella aren't there for you.

odd

It would have to be a pretty serious thing, I would think... especially for a competitor like Thomas.