HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Speculation: The Official Jordan Staal Wacky Speculation Thread IV (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1200015)

ColePens 06-01-2012 10:17 AM

The Official Jordan Staal Wacky Speculation Thread IV

Other one was approaching 1k. Let's get the new one going. Do we sign him or do we trade him for gold?

cassius 06-01-2012 10:28 AM

From ESPN

Quote:
Quote:

Calls about Staal

Teams have begun to call the Pittsburgh Penguins about Jordan Staal. That’s not to say the Penguins are looking to move him, though.

I believe the plan for the Penguins is to try to extend both Staal and Sidney Crosby once they’re allowed to begin talks the first week of July -- both players are one year from unrestricted free agency. If the Penguins can pull it off -- get both signed -- I think they’re fine keeping the big three together (Evgeni Malkin has two more years on his deal).

read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-on-sabbatical

#66 06-01-2012 10:34 AM

Thanks for the new thread Cole.

Pretty much dubbing my post to close out the old thread. Great news about the Pens wanting to keep Staal around. Having a great third line while rolling four lines is like having a great 2nd line center during the three line era.

Plus there's plenty of dead money on the Pens. No need to fix something that works.

Darth Vitale 06-01-2012 10:36 AM

The fact that teams are already inquiring is a good sign. Nothing like being on the right side of a bidding war, assuming you can't sign someone. Hopefully Shero stays away from MN and TOR deals unless there are no other options. I like Kulemin and the idea of the 5th pick but neither of those teams can offer us anything but risky players with upside, picks and prospects. As I said in the prior version, you get a sure thing for Staal or you keep him, and try to sign him again next season once you know where the CBA / cap thing is headed. We still have a year left; we shouldn't forget that.

Saving Greiss 06-01-2012 10:53 AM

Contrary to what Canes fan want, I think Stasl gets dealt there.

The 'Canes are more than likely going to do something big. Jim Rutherford has pretty
much said they'll be big players come July.1st. The organization has been collecting prospects for some time (three straight non-playoff years), and eventually they need to move forward. If Rutherford missed out on Parise or Suter (or some other name), then that could only increase the chance of Staal.

Darth Vitale 06-01-2012 11:11 AM

PHX, Calgary, Carolina are my top three trade partners as far as what they can offer to improve our team / deals making both teams better. Deals with MN, TOR, BUF, stand to make the other team better right away and possibly have us taking a step back in the short term.

Flat Stanley 06-01-2012 11:47 AM

Well with that info from LeBrun, we can forget any deal involving a top 10 pick as we will try to sign him and that can't take place until after the NHL Draft.

Think Shero will get something done? Assuming Staal doesn't mind his current role?

DoctrSteveBrule 06-01-2012 11:52 AM

Didn't someone in the last thread offer Gaborik for Staal+Tangradi or something?

Well Gaborik may miss up to 6 months

froods 06-01-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule (Post 50389797)
Didn't someone in the last thread offer Gaborik for Staal+Tangradi or something?

That makes no sense at all. That would be infuriating. :rant:

DoctrSteveBrule 06-01-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froods (Post 50390375)
That makes no sense at all. That would be infuriating. :rant:

If his cap hit was a bit lower it would actually make infinite sense.

fast as balls, sniper to play with Crosby...

7.5 is just a big too high

WVU71 06-01-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule (Post 50390479)
If his cap hit was a bit lower it would actually make infinite sense.

Right-handed, fast as balls, sniper to play with Crosby...

7.5 is just a big too high

Gaborik??? :help:

DoctrSteveBrule 06-01-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVU71 (Post 50390965)
Gaborik??? :help:

whoops. Rest of it still stands.

WVU71 06-01-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule (Post 50391021)
whoops. Rest of it still stands.

Agreed.

The Old Master 06-01-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik (Post 50389631)
Well with that info from LeBrun, we can forget any deal involving a top 10 pick as we will try to sign him and that can't take place until after the NHL Draft.

if a team picks a guy we like, we could always include him in the trade. imo......... and that would stop another team from picking him before we did.

froods 06-01-2012 01:14 PM

What are we thinking a Carolina deal would look like?

66-29-33 06-01-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by froods (Post 50392827)
What are we thinking a Carolina deal would look like?

Sutter, 8th, Faulk. That's what I'm asking for if I'm Shero.

vecens24 06-01-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale (Post 50388343)
PHX, Calgary, Carolina are my top three trade partners as far as what they can offer to improve our team / deals making both teams better. Deals with MN, TOR, BUF, stand to make the other team better right away and possibly have us taking a step back in the short term.

Calgary? Bartschi and what? I know they have Giordano too but I think Glencross is a 2nd/3rd line tweener in the way that Kennedy is (I know he just scored a bunch this year, but I've never been that impressed), so I don't know what else to add from Calgary.

Darth Vitale 06-01-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vecens24 (Post 50393529)
Calgary? Bartschi and what? I know they have Giordano too but I think Glencross is a 2nd/3rd line tweener in the way that Kennedy is (I know he just scored a bunch this year, but I've never been that impressed), so I don't know what else to add from Calgary.

Giordano is the main piece in any Calgary trade IMO. Has to be or it doesn't make any sense. The rest are pieces. I'd consider Staal for Giordano and the 14th pick for sure. Maybe throw in Harrington or Niskanen if they want D back.

Glencross is better than Kennedy, and tougher to play against. So whether we get 14th or Glencross as the secondary piece I'd consider it either way. Both of those trades would make our team better assuming we have a reasonably good replacement for Staal in Jeffrey or a FA or other trade.

Pitt's Best #87 #66 06-01-2012 05:54 PM

Bartschi + Gio from Calgary would be a great package. Not sure if Calgary would do it though.

Bartschi goes to Crosby to give you Bartschi-Crosby-Dupuis and Kunitz-Malkin-Neal as the top two lines. Trade Martin. Defense = Orpik-Letang, Gio-Michalek, Niskanen-Engelland-Despres

Ideally, if we had to trade Staal though I would like to see a good winger brought in. Our defense is a log jam as it is and I'm a big believer that the system was a big part of the problem.

canadianguy77 06-01-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule (Post 50389797)

No thanks. Although a deal like that would probably solidify the notion of Crosby winning Art Ross' year after year, it would do nothing in terms of helping this team win cups. Gabby has an infuriating tendency of disappearing when games matter the most. I'd rather take his cap hit and sign Staal.

Zirakzigil 06-01-2012 07:48 PM

As someone from Calgary you will not get Baertschi included in any trade for Staal. Its not happening. The organization is to high on him. I also highly doubt that you get both Giordano and the 14th for Staal. Staal to Calgary has been debated in depth on the Flames website board and a conclusion has never been reached. Glencross is doubtful to waive his NTC as well. If the Pens ownership is willing to bury a contract something like Staal, Martin and a 2nd this year for Giordano, Stajan and the 14th overall might be doable. Or Stajan could be Staals replacement on the third line. That trade would save the Pens approximately 1.5mil in salary overall.

#66 06-01-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zirakzigil (Post 50406581)
As someone from Calgary you will not get Baertschi included in any trade for Staal. Its not happening. The organization is to high on him. I also highly doubt that you get both Giordano and the 14th for Staal. Staal to Calgary has been debated in depth on the Flames website board and a conclusion has never been reached. Glencross is doubtful to waive his NTC as well. If the Pens ownership is willing to bury a contract something like Staal, Martin and a 2nd this year for Giordano, Stajan and the 14th overall might be doable. Or Stajan could be Staals replacement on the third line. That trade would save the Pens approximately 1.5mil in salary overall.

Staal for Gio is pretty close to being an even deal but any deal with the Flames has to include Jonny Gaudreau. That kid is going to be dy-no-mite!!!

HuskerTornado 06-01-2012 08:33 PM

How's this for wacky...he'll re-sign.

wej20 06-01-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zirakzigil (Post 50406581)

Don't want Stajan's contract, having Martin and Bouwmeester on the same team would be hilarious though.

SCUDeriMISSILE 06-01-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HuskerTornado (Post 50408161)
How's this for wacky...he'll re-sign.

I still think that's the most likely outcome; just not as much fun to talk about.