HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Trying to grow some dirty flow. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1200489)

O23L 06-02-2012 12:11 AM

Trying to grow some dirty flow.
 
Everybody knows that hockey isn't about playing good, it's about looking good. ;)


But I have no idea what to do. I've been growing my hair out for awile now, but it looks like crap. Has anyone ever had the hockey hair? Any tips on what to style it with, or what to use in it would be appriciated.

In cause you have no idea what I mean, here's what I'm talking about:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IfVFqnDuqc...isuno1_500.jpg

http://storage.canoe.ca/v1/dynamic_r...ty=75&size=297

http://whatsupyasieve.files.wordpres...jonathan-2.jpg

SilverHaireDevil 06-02-2012 12:34 AM

It gets to a stage where you can't do anything with it and you really start to hate it (before it gets long enough).

Wear a ball cap till it gets long enough to keep it out of your eyes/face

Wooty 06-02-2012 12:40 AM

Pro athletes are the genetic supreme physical models of our race. There are plenty of NHL players who don't have great looks. I am sorry, but you may just be you.

The best doesn't try to look like a hockey player. He is a hockey player. Be a hockey player. Even better, be you and play some hockey.

Badger36 06-02-2012 12:41 AM

Conditioner is your friend. Thats what keeps it silky smooth and prevents it from looking all frizzed out.

Trl3789 06-02-2012 12:45 AM

Every time i see Karlsson all i can think of is

http://i.imgur.com/6nfWB.jpg

FDBluth 06-02-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wooty (Post 50416839)
Pro athletes are the genetic supreme physical models of our race. There are plenty of NHL players who don't have great looks. I am sorry, but you may just be you.

The best doesn't try to look like a hockey player. He is a hockey player. Be a hockey player. Even better, be you and play some hockey.

This is the worst advice ever. You have to do your absolute best to look like as much like a hockey player as possible. Once you look like a hockey player, the skills will come.

1Knee1T 06-02-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil (Post 50416735)
It gets to a stage where you can't do anything with it and you really start to hate it (before it gets long enough).

Wear a ball cap till it gets long enough to keep it out of your eyes/face

Yeah you're going to have some waiting to do during this stage, it's pretty annoying.

As for products I use American Crew pomade when I go for a wet look and their fiber product when I go for a dry look. How you dry your hair also has a lot to do with keeping it in place, so if you want it pulled back, you're going to need to blow dry it back or let it air dry that way.

Also keep in mind that you normally see the player's hair when it's really wet which is why it holds and looks good. :laugh:

esidebill 06-02-2012 01:36 AM

The secret is sweating profusely, getting your hair soaked with sweat, then combing it a little.

TMI 06-02-2012 01:47 AM

Maybe you should try going for a look that favors you rather than a look that favors someone else? :dunno:

michaelshu 06-02-2012 04:38 AM

Hair gels. I don't know any US brands tho.. I use Japanese brand
You should look for one without gloss/shine and make sure it's not the sticky type, most high end brands have them I bet

Jarick 06-02-2012 10:11 AM

With straight hair, just let it grow and use gel. Curly hair, avoid shampoo and let your natural oils take over. Maybe once a week "wash" it with conditioner.

Grew my hair for several months earlier this year and actually put nothing whatsoever in it other than daily showers with hot water and it was outstanding. Meaning no shampoo, conditioner, gel, nothing.

Yes I have curly hair that's a PITA...

FANonymous 06-02-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 50422111)
Yes I have curly hair that's a PITA...

Ok, you're going to have to explain what PITA stands for or else I'm going to think you have flat bread coming out of your scalp...

I'll second the people that say there's a point when growing out your hair that absolutely sucks. Actually there's 2 depending on how long you grow it. The constantly in your eyes phase sucks as does the constantly in your mouth phase. You just gotta tough through it and you'll end up with long luscious locks.

Haven't had a haircut in 6+ years. My hair is straight and thin [the strands themselves, not the overall amount of them]. I take care of it by shampooing and conditioning about every other day and brushing/combing the tangles out of it about once a day, depending on what I've been doing. Because my hair is so thin it moves a lot in the wind or when I'm playing hockey so it gets tangled really easily. Even with all that "work" I still love my long hair and would only cut it if I was forced to for employment.

PS. Does anybody have a job they want to give me? :P

1Knee1T 06-02-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FANonymous (Post 50422727)
Ok, you're going to have to explain what PITA stands for or else I'm going to think you have flat bread coming out of your scalp...

I'll second the people that say there's a point when growing out your hair that absolutely sucks. Actually there's 2 depending on how long you grow it. The constantly in your eyes phase sucks as does the constantly in your mouth phase. You just gotta tough through it and you'll end up with long luscious locks.

Haven't had a haircut in 6+ years. My hair is straight and thin [the strands themselves, not the overall amount of them]. I take care of it by shampooing and conditioning about every other day and brushing/combing the tangles out of it about once a day, depending on what I've been doing. Because my hair is so thin it moves a lot in the wind or when I'm playing hockey so it gets tangled really easily. Even with all that "work" I still love my long hair and would only cut it if I was forced to for employment.

PS. Does anybody have a job they want to give me? :P

Does this include trims? If so...holy ****.

Jarick 06-02-2012 12:08 PM

PITA = pain in the ass

Badger36 06-02-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 50422111)
Grew my hair for several months earlier this year and actually put nothing whatsoever in it other than daily showers with hot water and it was outstanding. Meaning no shampoo, conditioner, gel, nothing.

Gross. Im sure your hair smelt like something died in it and you could probably wring the oil out of it.

Satan 06-02-2012 12:10 PM

Don't wash it for a week or two, keep the natural grease in and then it'll start flowing. (This is what I do)

CanucksSayEh 06-02-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkey36 (Post 50416863)
Conditioner is your friend. Thats what keeps it silky smooth and prevents it from looking all frizzed out.

Billy Madison "Shampoo is better, I clean the hair! Conditioner is better, I make the hair silky and smooth! DLJFHSHGLDKRAR!" lol first thing i thought of

Jarick 06-02-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkey36 (Post 50424933)
Gross. Im sure your hair smelt like something died in it and you could probably wring the oil out of it.

Not at all. Google "no poo method". Daily showers with scalp scrubbing clean off all the sweat and your body will adjust to no chemicals after a few weeks.

Or google "co washing". The less crap you put in your hair, the healthier it is, and the easier it is to maintain. So it's about 15 seconds of combing the hair back and you're done.

Grave77digger 06-02-2012 12:31 PM

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/K...PU77bBSI8l.jpg

Thread needs more Tang

Wildturkey12 06-02-2012 12:33 PM

My hair is out of control but I agree about the less washing the better. If I wash it too much I get the curl like Sam Adams.

Are you guys saying you gel your hair before you play? If I play with gel in my hair I go blind after a few minutes.

1Knee1T 06-02-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 (Post 50425565)
My hair is out of control but I agree about the less washing the better. If I wash it too much I get the curl like Sam Adams.

Are you guys saying you gel your hair before you play? If I play with gel in my hair I go blind after a few minutes.

I just put water in my hair to pull it back in my helmet before the game starts, the eventual sweat takes care of the rest.

Jarick 06-02-2012 03:12 PM

I stopped using gel when I started playing hockey. If I use anything, it's aloe vera gel without alcohol, like you get at Walmart or Trader Joes.

Affinity 06-02-2012 03:21 PM

Use Wen. It will make your hair silky smooth :)

ReverendAlBundy 06-02-2012 03:27 PM

Wash it, slick it back, sauce on a hat until it dries.

Three steps to solid flow.

Wildturkey12 06-02-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Affinity (Post 50430461)
Use Wen. It will make your hair silky smooth :)

Haha, my wife has some of it in the shower. I have been using it because she does not like it and I must say, my hair is beautiful right now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.